Thread: 20 Gallon Long Dart Vivarium

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kaiden32

Default 20 Gallon Long Dart Vivarium

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board and I just though I would share my new 20 long viv with all you guys. I have set up a few vivariums before, for crested geckos and one for hermit crabs, and I have had fresh and saltwater reef tanks. My old saltwater tank was a 20 long until I accidentally put my elbow through the front of it and ended up with 20 gallons of saltwater on the floor in the upstairs of my house. So needless to say I have been out of the hobby for a little while. But I love the look of a 20 gallon long tank and I have seen several beautiful vivariums using 20 longs so I decided to give it a shot. This is my first time keeping poison dart frogs, but I am close with someone who has kept them for a while and is breeding them. He offered to give me a couple azures if I wanted them so that's how this all started. They are still a while away from being ready for me but I thought it would be smart to get the system running and get plants in so everything could grow in and such. I have been monitoring the temp and humidity. The temp stays around 70-75 at night and during the day it stays around 77-80~. The humidity fluctuates between mistings but stays around 83-90%. I built a false bottom out of eggcrate and the substrate barrier from Josh's Frogs. I used ABG mix for the substrate and there is a layer of Spaghnum on top of that. The background was made from Great Stuff and covered with brown GE Silicone ii and coco fiber. So far I am happy with how it is turning out. My plan is to go pick up some plants within the next couple days. I am hoping to get a smaller bromeliad in there and some vining plants to go up the background. Any other suggestions for plants? Tell me what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information