Thread: Tadpole aquarium set up

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tadpole aquarium set up

Hey I was wondering if I can get any advice on setting up a good tadpole aquarium. I have had tadpoles before; but I didn't have a set up for them and changed the water every day. Although I still think that puts stress on a tadpole when you do that, so tonight with my new batch of tadpoles I bought a small 1 gallon aquarium that is intended for a betta fish. It came with a light and an under gravel filter and I have it cycling now. The problem is these tad poles have just hatched a few days ago and the pond water I have them in atm is starting to stagnate; so I can not keep them in there much longer. I want to move them into cleaner water soon but I am unable to get back to the pond again due to the recent rains I have been having as the only path to it is a steep hill, so I can not get the water from it like I did with my last batch that morphed. The last time I put one of these tadpoles into tap water that came from the ground as I am on a well system it died sadly. There is no chemicals in the water or anything like that, so I am pretty sure the water is to acidic for a tadpole especially a smaller tadpole. I only tried that because I was able to keep my bull frog tadpole that I had a awhile back in the same tap water and it did fine. So tonight along with the aquarium I also got some tetra aquasafe water conditioner and put it in the water. Has anyone tried this before with grey tree frog tadpoles? Would you recommend something else to use instead of the tetra aquasafe? I asked that to the person at petco but they couldn't give me a good answer for it. I just don't want these tadpoles to end up like the last one. Like I said earlier I have had other batches that have morphed in the past some successful and some not so successful; but those were mainly on the usage of pond water and changing it every day. The aquarium that I have is only one gallon. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tadpole aquarium set up

I had gray tadpoles in a tank half full of the water they came from. I added a small airstone and allowed enough light to hit the tank and allow algae to grow. They are sensitive to chlorine so any dechlorinater will work if you want to change out the water but make sure to keep them well fed.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tadpole aquarium set up

Agree, any water conditioner would work even if you use well water. You can use any fish tank conditioners too, i use Prime for everything.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks. I only asked because last time I put a tadpole in regular tap water the next day the poor thing was gone, and that was from the well. The only thing i can think of is that the water was to acidic at the time. Definitely don't want that to happen again.

Nationality
    [United States]

Even though well water has no chlorine, some do have heavy metals that could affect the tadpoles. Seachem Prime can neutralize those; so most in here use it, or ExoTerra Aquatize. If planning to introduce tadpoles to un-cycled tank; then recommend use Seachem Stability or similar product .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i kept mine in kritter keepers and used an air stone but not all the time, i used the air stone every morning and evening, but did water changes every other day. be careful not to OD with the dechlorinator. i think i must have done that with one water change as i lost a bunch of tads. good luck.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Even though well water has no chlorine, some do have heavy metals that could affect the tadpoles. Seachem Prime can neutralize those; so most in here use it, or ExoTerra Aquatize. If planning to introduce tadpoles to un-cycled tank; then recommend use Seachem Stability or similar product .
    I put some of the aquasafe in the aquarium and let it run for 6 hours before doing anything else with it, the few tadpoles I put in there look to be doing okay. They are active and tend to rest on the bottom and on the plant I have in it. I also put some of the water that they were in into the aquarium, the other container is slowly stagnating. So far I have been able to slow the stagnation process though and the tadpoles in both containers seem to be doing well, on the other container I have a heat lamp set to dim to only put out a little heat to keep the water temp from dropping. If i am correct they grow best around a water temp of 72. I have been monitoring that as well and probably can afford to lower it a bit but not by much as the colder the water the slower they develop and the hotter the water the faster; but if I am also correct if they grow to fast they can form deformities. All of the tadpoles have gotten bigger and they seem to be doing well, I feed them every night and take out what they don't eat when I get up. I am watching them very closely.

Thread Information