Thread: Symptoms of MBD?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Symptoms of MBD?

I did some searching around and I don't quite have a full list of MBD symptoms; for my particular situation I recently gave Keropi a honey bath and noticed that his fingers/toes on both front legs vary in sizes (Like, his outermost toe was not the same length as the mirroring toe on the other leg). Now as far as I know he doesn't have the dreaded "large underjaw" that some of the older threads I dug through noted, but he does struggle to catch prey ONLY when he isn't ready to eat the next one. Physically he is round and as far as I've noticed he doesn't have any actual bone issues.

(Keropi doesn't immediately swallow down a whole worm and move onto the next one, he'll generally have to swallow and wait a bit before he's ready to tackle the next one, but I guess his personality makes him see additional worms and want to eat them before he has even finished the previous one).

And for the record I have only fed him Nightcrawlers (mostly forgoing the D3+Ca supplement powder because I thought the calcium intake from the earthworms would be more than enough). Have I stunted his growth by not giving him the powder? (He's about 3.25in after about two months in my possession from a 1.5in Pacman). I can't exactly remember the last time I had dusted his worms. I mean as far as I have seen he doesn't have any issues, On occasion he does snatch up a worm and uses his fingers/toes to sort of hold the worm in place as he pulls it further into his mouth, other times he doesn't need to.

As for now I started with the supplement again just to make sure he's receiving exactly what he needs. I'm primarily only concerned with whether or not his toes/fingers growing unequally in length would lead to a MBD issue or something else.

Edit: Found this shortly after I posted my concern. Are these the only plausible symptoms?
    http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...e-disease.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Symptoms of MBD?

Sorry i dont have time right now to read your mentioned thread, but the only way to diagnose MBD is to see it on xrays.
    Everything else is not accurate, if you see a very stunted animal with history of insufficient supplementation and "dropped jaw", bone abnormalities, you can suspect mbd as well.

Yours sounds like a healthy pacman with a very healthy growth
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll have to keep an eye on his growth and start logging it. It only drew my attention because I wanted to focus on detail for Keropi and I just so happened to notice that his fingers/toes on his feet were not really symmetrical or identically similar to the other and most pictures I see of frogs their feet look, well. Perfect? i.e. Each Toe is similar in length and matches the other leg's identical toe.

I'll have to see if I can snap a picture of his feet sometime in the next few days to point it out.
    Unfortunately this is the most recent picture I have of him (in my opinion he looks perfectly healthy) but it doesn't have his feetsies so I can't really point it out in this picture.

Name:  10441348_1535386280016458_2136262645531139733_n.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  77.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lecroixe View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye on his growth and start logging it. It only drew my attention because I wanted to focus on detail for Keropi and I just so happened to notice that his fingers/toes on his feet were not really symmetrical or identically similar to the other and most pictures I see of frogs their feet look, well. Perfect? i.e. Each Toe is similar in length and matches the other leg's identical toe.

I'll have to see if I can snap a picture of his feet sometime in the next few days to point it out.
    Unfortunately this is the most recent picture I have of him (in my opinion he looks perfectly healthy) but it doesn't have his feetsies so I can't really point it out in this picture.

Name:  10441348_1535386280016458_2136262645531139733_n.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  77.7 KB
    Their toes are only a sign of a issue if they are red, bleeding, turned in and distorted. Them not being symetrical isn't a problem. They sometimes lose digits to their siblings before fully metamorphosing.

In the picture you posted he looks a little bit underweight. I can tell this from the hip bones being very visible and from his cheeks being slightly sunk in. How often are you feeding him?

Nationality
    [United States]

I feed him every other day at minimum and I generally only feed him the fatter/longer nightcrawlers I find from my purchases from walmart.

Edit: Got a few pictures with the help of my sister. I'm mostly concerned with just the last two-three pictures.

Name:  10568706_763176960399864_1628620199_n.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  54.8 KB Name:  10592034_763176920399868_558105489_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  61.3 KB Name:  10592128_763176930399867_907419451_n.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  59.5 KB Name:  10578564_763176167066610_1998595733_n.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  69.5 KB Name:  10584304_763176170399943_1036564988_n.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  62.4 KB Name:  10569859_763176913733202_211849385_n.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  46.5 KB Name:  10589912_763176880399872_1239264951_n.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  58.3 KB Name:  10592586_763176247066602_1871419850_n.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  45.2 KB
    Last edited by Lecroixe; August 1st, 2014 at 04:14 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Couldn't find the edit button but as a double note this frog has not been sexed yet either. He doesn't croak or anything but I have never really looked at his feet. Are those nuptial pads? My concerns are primarily from that redness. I checked his belly and I unfortunately couldn't get a picture but I didn't see any particular redness anywhere but those two front feet. His back feet were just a dark brown without any redness as far as I could tell (presumably they are that color from using them to dig his burrows).

Nationality
    [United States]

Couldn't find the edit button but as a double note this frog has not been sexed yet either. He doesn't croak or anything but I have never really looked at his feet. Are those nuptial pads? My concerns are primarily from that redness. I checked his belly and I unfortunately couldn't get a picture but I didn't see any particular redness anywhere but those two front feet. His back feet were just a dark brown without any redness as far as I could tell (presumably they are that color from using them to dig his burrows).
    Female. The darkness of the bottom of the feet is normal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Female. The darkness of the bottom of the feet is normal.
    Neat Keropi is a she! But is that minor redness on her front feet normal?

Outside of that I think she's healthy.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think she's healthy.

I think so too
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Neat Keropi is a she! But is that minor redness on her front feet normal?

Outside of that I think she's healthy.
    You can buy some Melafix and add two drops per 16 ounces of dechlorinated water and bathe the frog in it once per day.

13. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds great! Will definitely have to hit the lfs and get her a bottle. Glad you guys think she looks healthy as well!

Nationality
    [United States]

The redness on the feet can also be caused from digging against the bottom of the tank, especially if she likes to sit in the corners/around the edges where the silicone would create a slightly rough bottom. It's not a problem unless you notice swelling/bleeding/irritation.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

16. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Thread Information