Thread: Brone Mantellas

jbaranowski

Default Brone Mantellas

Here are a few pics of my Bronze Mantellas
    Does anybody know if these are M. Ebenaui or M. Betsileo?

Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  77.8 KBName:  IMG_5013.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  65.8 KBName:  IMG_4993.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_5002.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by Heatheranne; July 31st, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Brone Mantellas

Quote Originally Posted by jbaranowski View Post
    Here are a few pics of my Bronze Mantellas
    Does anybody know if these are M. Ebenaui or M. Betsileo?

Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  77.8 KBName:  IMG_5013.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  65.8 KBName:  IMG_4993.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_5002.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  56.5 KB
    Those specimens are (hard to tell with the camera angles) M.betsileo.

You can only tell by Locality data really, if you know where the individuals are originally from (or where their ancestors are from if Captive Bred) then you have your answer.

Bronze Mantella (M.ebenaui) is from the northern parts of Madagascar (Nosy Be being one known locality for M.ebenaui) and Brown Leaf Mantella (M.betsileo) is scattered all around the Western-central to South-west Madagascar.
    They are basically and predominantly difficult to I.D via Morphological methods, however it is believed that the M.betsileo has a horse shoe shape Blue marking on the under side of it's snout (along the chin line) and M.ebenaui will have a Trident shape to replace this. However it is not 100% full proof that this is correct, but people have used this as a basis for identification.
    The only problem is, unless you have a wild caught specimen, you aren't certain of getting a exact species and more than likely you will be getting hybrids as until about 2007 they weren't considered separate species so a lot of people simply bought the newly imported specimens and stuck them together and simply bred them (Many Mantella species in the 90's were simply imported as "Mantella sp" with no naming of what they were and kept together).
    They are both separate species though, this was confirmed a few years ago now. However, M.ebenaui was listed as an synonym of M.betsileo (pers.comm. Vences 1999). Originally though which is rather odd, M.betsileo was described in 1872 by the French naturalist Grandidier and the M.ebenaui was described by Boettger 1880 (8 years after M.betsileo) - The M.ebenaui specimens were all collected from Nosy Be if I remember rightly. lol

However, without locality information it will be impossible to know for certain without having DNA testing.

4. 2 members thank MantellaGuy for this post:

jbaranowski

Thanks for the info, I figured as much from all the research I have done on trying to figure it out...I think I have actually read what you posted somewhere, or at least something similar lol

Quote Originally Posted by jbaranowski View Post
    Thanks for the info, I figured as much from all the research I have done on trying to figure it out...I think I have actually read what you posted somewhere, or at least something similar lol
    Unfortunately for people, this is a topic that gets asked a lot, so you definitely would have seen me type it before, if not exactly the same wording because it gets asked that much! lol
    Morphologically, from the detail of your specimens, these could well be M.betsileo, but if they are pure... thats another thing!

Kind regards,

Joshua

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Brone Mantellas

Joshua,

While we are talking M. Betsileo. Is there any way to get them to come out more often. My 5 hide near constantly. I have considered reducing the brightness of the light since having a gravely planted tank hasn't helped at all.

Btw - your Mantella are gorgeous! Regardless of the species.

They look just like mine from what I can see in the pictures. I bought mine as WC.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Joshua,

While we are talking M. Betsileo. Is there any way to get them to come out more often. My 5 hide near constantly. I have considered reducing the brightness of the light since having a gravely planted tank hasn't helped at all.

Btw - your Mantella are gorgeous! Regardless of the species.

They look just like mine from what I can see in the pictures. I bought mine as WC.
    Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, no they are perhaps one of the shiest species within the genus (Including M.ebenaui) due to being less Aposematic than some of the species. It isn't really something that can be remedied unfortunately mate, I have 4 in total of M.betsileo and 10 M.ebenaui, and I rarely if ever see them at all. If you keep them in seasons however (Dry and Wet Seasons etc), you will see them more around the wet period, but not much more lol

Kind regards,

Joshua

Nationality
    [United States]

Beautiful frogs and enclosure, congrats ! What orchid species are you keeping in there?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

jbaranowski

Thanks!
    I believe it is a Phalaenopsis orchid?

Nationality
    [United States]

That's what I thought; they do well in enclosure's temps and high humidity? Was thinking about trying some orchids with my frogs .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information