Thread: african bullfrog advice

abbieish

Default african bullfrog advice

Hi all, I'm new here but need some advice for people who've kept african bullfrogs for a long time.

So I recently got my first bullfrog and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything ok. At the minute I have him in a 20gallon tank (will upgrade in future). I keep him on coconut brick substrate which is very moist, he has a water bowl and a long to hide under. I have a heat mat under the tank and the temps range from about 27 to 30 degrees. I bathe him twice a week which is when I also feed him and he usually goes to the toilet. I have been feeding him a varied diet of crickets, wax worms, locuts and morio worms. He eats like a mad thing, never stops but on Sunday he ate about 7 morio worms and I'm just a bit concerned about them...I've heard a few stories saying they're pretty bad for frogs.

Any advice would be great and there is also a picture of him I took last week so tell me if he looks healthy. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: african bullfrog advice

Hello and welcome to FF! Please read this care article about your frog: Frog Forum - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding. Main diet of a GABF should be earthworms like European night crawlers. Usually available at bait shops; get the not dyed versions.

Coco substrate should be slightly damp, so it molds on fist without dripping water out. The water bowl should be cleaned and refilled daily with dechlorinated tap (also used to mix the substrate). Heat mat should not be under tank, frogs bury to cool off. Relocate to sides. Temps are good; but you want it to drop few degrees at night.

Myself would stop feeding beetle worms (morio = superworms). They are low in nutrition, high in fat, and an impaction hazard. You need to use supplements. more info on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information