Thread: First Fire Belly Toad: Advice?

xXPhasemanXx

Default First Fire Belly Toad: Advice?

So this is legit my first amphibian pet (Besides when I was little and just found frogs in the wilderness and put them in my kiddie pool). So basically I'm just looking for any tips or guidelines you guys could give me or recommend. The lady gave my 6 small crickets and she said that should hold him over until Friday where I need to get more. I'm fine with that. But should I put them in all at once or every once in awhile. And how often if it's the latter? My water is unfiltered (The lady said that's fine) and I'll change it every other day, or more if needed. Does that sound fine? Is tap water okay or do I need to go out and get some kind of specific water to fill his pond? I'm not sure what the (Bombina) part of this section means but I hope I'm still in the right one. Since there is an entire section on this Toad I assume it's popular and lots of people have them. Looking forward to any advice. Here's my current setup. I hope it's okay for a absolute first timer I am willing to change it up a little if I have to.
    Name:  DSCF1228.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  111.3 KBName:  DSCF1229.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  74.5 KB
    The tank he was in at the store was like all water and a floating plant at the top but she said that it'd be okay for like 50% water 50% land so I'm thinking of getting a new container for the pool.

Edit: I'm reading this article now so I guess I'll learn a lot from now. I'll make this thread a following of this Toad's life.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: First Fire Belly Toad: Advice?

Welcome! I'm sure the care article will answer most of your questions. You definitely want to treat your tap water with a conditioner to remove chlorine and metals. I use Seachem Prime. It also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Enjoy your new pet!

xXPhasemanXx

Quote Originally Posted by Stampingfrog View Post
    You definitely want to treat your tap water with a conditioner to remove chlorine and metals. I use Seachem Prime. It also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Enjoy your new pet!
    Sounds like something I'll go pick up tomorrow when I change his water. Thanks for the tip!

And I am hoping to enjoy this little guy to the fullest :3

xXPhasemanXx

I changed his tank around, I didn't really like the way the old one was set up since it was so dirty all the time and I think he had a hard time finding his food in there with all the plants. It was also very cramped for him in there and not a lot of room. I decided to go with pebbles and water, but I need to get more pebbles. That's going to have to wait until tomorrow though unfortunately. I also put in a filter. Once I get more pebbles I can raise the water's level (But not for the frog since there will be a pebble floor) and put more pebbles where needed so that's a plus for him. I've noticed a lot of tanks are set up kind of like this, but I know mine has room for improvement. Anything you guys think I should do with this setup? I know I need more pebbles. I'll probably get a few fake plants in there as well. Or are there plants I can get that don't require dirt so the water doesn't get filthy?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information