Thread: how do you change out the water in your fbt tank? lots of questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default how do you change out the water in your fbt tank? lots of questions

Do you use a filter or just do a complete or partial water change? How often do you think I would need to clean out a 40 gal with maybe three or four fire bellied toads?

Do I need to make a false bottom( I dont want too get this complicated), I want to keep this simple but make it pretty at the same time.

Do I just treat them like I would fish? Meaning partial water changes once a week after cycling water the first time.
    What kind of filter? I have two old fish filters, one was for a 20 gallon and one was for a 29 gallon but was rated for higher(the kind that fit on the side and suck up the water and spit it back out the top).I also have a submersible heater for a mid size tank).

Maybe someone would be so kind as to make a list of what I would need to outfit a 40 gallon for these little FBT's(I have a tank, with a screen lid).I like the idea of either river rock as substrate or sand but prefer the rock.
    Will they eat baby dubia roaches and mealworms?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: how do you change out the water in your fbt tank? lots of questions

I had the same problems at first when i got my FBTs, I use a pump siphon in the water area and change out 10-20% but ill do as much as an 80% water change if i miss a few days, you dont want to shock your frogs but as long as you are changing the water 10% weekly your fine and if you dont have a siphon, scooping out water with a cup works as well.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by miranda2 View Post
    Do you use a filter or just do a complete or partial water change? How often do you think I would need to clean out a 40 gal with maybe three or four fire bellied toads?

Do I need to make a false bottom( I dont want too get this complicated), I want to keep this simple but make it pretty at the same time.

Do I just treat them like I would fish? Meaning partial water changes once a week after cycling water the first time.
    What kind of filter? I have two old fish filters, one was for a 20 gallon and one was for a 29 gallon but was rated for higher(the kind that fit on the side and suck up the water and spit it back out the top).I also have a submersible heater for a mid size tank).

Maybe someone would be so kind as to make a list of what I would need to outfit a 40 gallon for these little FBT's(I have a tank, with a screen lid).I like the idea of either river rock as substrate or sand but prefer the rock.
    Will they eat baby dubia roaches and mealworms?
    I don't keep FBT but their care seems pretty straightforward. They like mostly aquatic setups but you don't want the water to be necessarily deep. If I ever setting up a FBT tank (and I will eventually), I would do a false bottom. Don't be scared of false bottoms, they're actually easy to set up. I would go 25% land 75% water with FBT though.

You could do river rock, pebbles, large stones, or slate that create a land area on top of a sand substrate. Give the frogs areas to rest on land, they're semi-aquatic so they'll be in and out of the water a lot.

I would add a small internal filter, or a whisper, and I would replace 25-50% of the water weekly with fresh dechlorinated treated tap water as you would for an aquarium. You will also want a tank that is longer than it is tall and have a secure lid because they are able to climb up the walls and escape.

As far as feeding, I would say dubias would be best. You'll want softer food for these guys, nothing with too much chitin (such as mealworms). I think nightcrawlers (chopped if needed), dubias, crickets would all be find. Earthworms are probably the best food you can offer them.

5. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow thanks for all the info. Im not sure what the purpose of a false bottom is, would it be just for the land side or the whole tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by miranda2 View Post
    Wow thanks for all the info. Im not sure what the purpose of a false bottom is, would it be just for the land side or the whole tank?
    I don't think a false bottom is all that necessary with FBT but in any other vivarium it allows water to drain out of the soil in to the water where it can be filtered, keeping the substrate moist but not wet. If your substrate becomes water logged you wind up with tons of issues like dead (live) plants due to their roots drowning, harmful bacteria, there is basically no where for the water to go. You wind up having to break the whole vivarium down to clean it much more often. A false bottom allows the water to be siphoned out and replaced with clean water.

The false bottom can hide equipment, like your filter or water heater.. however FBT do not need heated water or high humidity since they are temperate, semi-aquatic frogs.

It really depends on how fancy you want to go. FBT don't require a whole lot, just more water than land, clean water, and food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks. I really like the idea of keeping frogs.Ive had it in my mind for over a year now.Im not ready for all those dart frogs but might want to head that way some day.
    I really would like a red eye tree frog someday too.

Building a tank with a large water area for the frogs to live in is so much easier using a false bottom. It also gives you a larger water reservoir, making it easier to keep water conditions stable. Of course, you could always go basic and use a plastic shoe box sized container from the dollar store, surrounded by soil to even the level out.

Darts are very easy to care for. The only 2 downsides are: a) you need to culture fruit flies for food (very easy). Some people balk at this part, but the flies cannot fly, so they will not infest your house and B) cost of the frogs. Unfortunately, a lot of the more desirable frogs are pricey. But there are some lesser expensive frogs that are just as pretty IMHO.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I was thinking about getting a submersible filter for the tank (Fluval U underwater filter). And just using hard stuff for land, like slate(we have lots of that around and its easy to disinfect).

Lol, I dont mind fruit flies.I have dubias(roaches) for my beardie and rats and mice in my freezer for my snakes..Whats a few flies added to the mix.

EXACTLY!!!

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri