Thread: help...question for new pacman

teacherfrog

Default help...question for new pacman

I bought a little pac man frog today and he's pretty small. Right now he's in a critter keeper with eco earth and a water dish and a plant. The problem is I used bottled purified drinking water to expand his eco earth. I saw where that is a no no just now. I'm going to replace his water with spring but do I need to expand new substrate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: help...question for new pacman

Get some Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize and dechlorinate enough water to make new substrate. Mix until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out. Then replace the substrate in the critter keeper.

You do not have to throw out the substrate mixed with purified water. Just bag it (leave bag open) so it airs out and dry. Then you can mix with dechlorinated water when needed and use later.

Do read this two articles and remember that crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded for 24-48 hours with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding; and http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Temperature and humidity parameters are sometimes difficult to maintain in a small critter keeper. If that is so; recommend get a 10G tank (future home for frog when it reaches 3-3.5 in.) and stabilize that to 70-80% humidity and 82F daytime with a few degrees drop at night. then you place the whole critter keeper inside. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

teacherfrog

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Get some Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize and dechlorinate enough water to make new substrate. Mix until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out. Then replace the substrate in the critter keeper.

You do not have to throw out the substrate mixed with purified water. Just bag it (leave bag open) so it airs out and dry. Then you can mix with dechlorinated water when needed and use later.

Do read this two articles and remember that crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded for 24-48 hours with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding; and http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Temperature and humidity parameters are sometimes difficult to maintain in a small critter keeper. If that is so; recommend get a 10G tank (future home for frog when it reaches 3-3.5 in.) and stabilize that to 70-80% humidity and 82F daytime with a few degrees drop at night. then you place the whole critter keeper inside. Good luck !
    Ok. I finished setting up his 10 gallon tank...but not much in it now because he's in the keeper inside the tank. I re did the substrate and put a plant in his keeper ..i will put more in when he gets in the big tank. I put in a thermometer and a hygrometer and a uth on the side. My question is how humid should it stay and what temp range is best. It's in the upper to mid 70s in our house.. does he need the heater on?
    Also I bought a box of live small crickets ... are those ok? He's pretty tiny. How often should I feed one this small. He's about the size of a half dollar coin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

teacherfrog

Sorry I was replying on my phone and didn't see you answered most of this already lol. Looks like I have a read on the big tank of 50 percent humidity... how do I increase it?

Nationality
    [Canada]

You need to cover part of your screen with tin foil, this will help with humidity. You also need to cover 3 sides of that small tank with something not see through to minimize stress levels of your baby.

You should feed him every day and about all he can eat in about 15 min, dont forget to supplement with ca/vitd3 2xweek and once a week with multivitamins.

And absolute must is to show off your baby to us because we love pics
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

teacherfrog

I will definitely get a background on there ASAP. I tried feeding him a cricket tonight but he didn't eat it. I figured he had a rough day so we will try again tomorrow. I will add foil.. What about Saran Wrap? Will that help lock in humidity? Attached is a kind of close up of him ( I totally have no idea if its a him or not) but for now his name is Voldemort (Morty)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Canada]

Very cute! Yes sarah wrap would work, anything that would block part of the screen would do, wet towel, plexi, glass, etc.

yep try feeding tomorrow. The guy needs to adjust to his new home
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

teacherfrog

Day 2 and Morty still hasn't ate. I am also concerned about my uth. I bought a small one recommended for the 10 gal tank but it doesn't seem like its doing much for the temperature. The tank reads in the upper 70s though... how can I increase the temp for him safely if the uth isn't getting that done?

Thread Information