Thread: how to care for tadpole with very small legs

sardill82

Default how to care for tadpole with very small legs

My brother gave my boys a tadpole from his coy pond. It has very small legs. I have kept it alive for a week. I have no idea how to care for a frog. I have done lots of research online, but I am really nervous about metamorphosis.
    How do I know when the frog will need to access a dry area?
    I have given it lettuce and baby turtle/frog pellets but I never see it eat.
    It has spurts of activity, but 80% of the time it just lays on the bottom of the tub. Is this normal?

The biggest issue is when and how to add a dry area to his box. I am so worried that it will drown. Any and all help/tips is appreciated.

Mom, Cook, & Frog Farmer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sardill82; July 24th, 2014 at 11:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default how to care for tadpole with very small legs

The most important thing is are you using dechlorinated water? And are you boiling the lettuce? If you've kept it alive for a week that's a good sign. You should be able to see their poo especially once it eats the boiled lettuce since it's green. Boiled lettuce has been the winner for my tadpoles, they love it! They're mostly filter feeders though so you rarely see them eat. I have 8 atm and I still barely see any eat.

Also, one of the biggest killers is doing too big of a water change. Usually what I do is suck up all the nasty stuff out of the water with a turkey baster and replace the water I sucked out. I wouldn't personally do more than maybe 25% at a time.

As far as transitioning it to land, he won't be ready until his front arms pop out and have little toes on them, which won't happen for at least another week, probably more. Once his front arms pop, what I do is take a Kritter keeper, line the bottom with wet paper towels then I take a Tupperware container, line it with wet paper towels too and tilt it up a little so the water pools to one side and lower the water level until his head barely sticks out of the deepest part. This makes it so he can't drown, and most of the time at that stage they'll want to leave the water anyway.

The Kritter keeper is mainly used so that the little guy has a bit more room and so that if he climbs out of the water when you're asleep or something he can't escape.

I hope that this eases your worries and makes sense haha good luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sardill82

Smile Re: how to care for tadpole with very small legs

Awesome. Thank you for the info. He has been given de chlorinated water, lettuce, and baby turtle pellets.

Updates will be coming next week. Thanks again!

sardill82

Default Re: how to care for tadpole with very small legs

Name:  IMG_20140822_085116.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  98.8 KB

Here is our frog. It made it! Thanks for your help. Any idea what kind of frog this is?

Thread Information