Thread: Fire Bellied toad suddenly acting strangely? and clear gel in moss..

Default Fire Bellied toad suddenly acting strangely? and clear gel in moss..

I've had my fire bellied toad for about a month now and it's seemed pretty comfortable, however today it has been acting strangely and appears to be trying to escape, to the point where it actually got stuck (trying to climb up the glass) I'm wondering what might have caused this and how I could fix it.

Also, probably unrelated, when getting my frog unstuck I noticed small pieces of a clear gel mixed in with my sphagnum moss, I have removed the gel and changed the moss, but I am wondering what it might be...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kathryn Dorn

Default Re: Fire Bellied toad suddenly acting strangely? and clear gel in moss..

I'm sorry that this reply is coming so much later than your original post, and I hope that your toad is doing all right! If I had to guess, I'd say that the gel might be the toad's skin - if it's a somewhat stringy gel with small flecks in it, and if you saw your toad pawing at its face, opening its mouth as if it was yawning, or covered in little strands of the gel, then it's probably just shedding its skin and that's a normal toad activity. If not, or if your toad seems ill in any way (not eating, lethargic, etc.), I'd really recommend taking it to the nearest exotic-animals veterinarian and asking them for help. (Vet check-ups are a good idea anyway for a new pet, if you haven't already had a chance to bring your toad in for a visit.)
    As for the glass-climbing and escape attempts - my fire-bellies did that fairly often, and I don't think it's necessarily a sign of extreme distress. However, one of my toads (and another toad I knew) managed to escape from what I thought was a tall, secure, impossible-to-open-from-the-inside glass cage with a medium-weight metal mesh cover, and I never found them. So, if your toad's cage is at all similar to that, I'd recommend clamping the lid down, or at least putting something really heavy on each of the corners...

lollipop4000

Default Re: Fire Bellied toad suddenly acting strangely? and clear gel in moss..

I'm having a problem similar to that, I'm wondering what it is too if I find out in will share my info with you.

Thread Information