Thread: Help Help Help Tree frog rolled up in car window!!!

Lisa13

Unhappy Help Help Help Tree frog rolled up in car window!!!

I found a tree frog this afternoon that I rolled up in my truck window. I pretty much severed his entire right back leg. Is there any hope for this little guy?? Can I nurse him back to at health? I know nothing about froggies, but I hate that he was injured in my vehicle and want to save him if I can. Is this a lost cause, or is there any hope they are resilient and I can keep him alive and well in an aquarium or terrarium? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Help Help Tree frog rolled up in car window!!!

Can you please post a pic.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Lisa13

let me see if I can get it uploaded

Lisa13

OK, I was able to create an album. Can you see his picture?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, it doesnt look too good, but have seen way worse that came back. Thank you for helping the guy, so many people would just walk away
    You seemed to be on a right track with wet papertowels, but use bottled spring water or use water conditioner for your tap water, fish tank stuff work too.
    You will need ziplock container ( anything plastic/glass would do, not too big). I cant tell if his leg is broken or not, in case it is the best he can't climb/move much in the container. You also need to out in there smth he can hide under, plastic/silk plant perhaps, shallow water bowl ( not needed today). Make sure all sides of the enclosure are covered with smth not see through. And that there is air ventilation and it not too wet in there, humidity cant go over 80%.

The best would be to get flamazine, but original polisporin/neosporin WITHOUT pain killers would work. Apply it to the wound 2-3 times a day and change papertowels every day. And keep us in a loop
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Lisa13

Thanks so much for the reply Lija!! I will get some neosporin without pain relief, as all the stuff I have has it. I am afraid his leg is broken yes. Severed right at the hip joint. All that's holding it on is some skin and muscle. That's why it just sort of flops back like that.
    I used spring water on the paper towels, as I actually had some. I left him about 1/2 inch of water in case he wanted to get wet. I'm worried about the open wound though.
    Can a tree frog actually lose a back leg and survive? I just felt so bad for the little hopper. He has perked up since the sun went down. I pray he makes it through the night and doesn't get an infection.
    I put some mosquito larvae in a dish in his aquarium, I couldn't find any grasshoppers small enough for him. I hope he can eat skeeters. Anyway, I really appreciate your time. Hopefully he:she survives and we have a new pet! I will keep you posted! If he lives I'll have a ton of questions I'm sure!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help Help Help Tree frog rolled up in car window!!!

Yes, provided the leg doesn't get infected and heals up nicely most will adapt to having only one back leg. Unfortunately, he will probably need to be taken care of for the rest of his life if you, or someone you know is willing to do it. Thank you for caring enough to not only help him heal, but do your research as well.

If it helps, most petco/petsmarts carry flightless fruit fly cultures so you don't have to keep trying to catch him food, plus they can't jump/fly away from him! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lisa,

I believe you have gotten some excellent injury-recovery advice from FF members, so I really have nothing to add in regards to that. I would just like to wish you all the very best with your tree frog. You have shown great compassion, and I hope that with time and some TLC, your frog will live a long, healthy life.

Best of luck to you both!

RJ

Nationality
    [Canada]

No, fruit flies are not a food for this frog, they are too small. He doesnt need food for a day or two, his belly looks pretty full and with his injury he wont eat now anyway. I suggest you buy some crickets from pet store perhaps on friday.
    the reason i said keep us in a loop is that i'd like to take it day by day. Let's see how he is doing today, change his towels, dont leave water puddle on the bottom, just so papertowels are wet. Try not to do anything much to a frog when you are changing papertowels.
    No need yet, but you can look around for vets in your area that treat frogs, you can give a call or two to see if that's the case. That information may become handy soon.

Try to find flamazine, it's used for burns in humans and for almost anything skin damage related in veterinary practice

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your little tree frog. Is Back leg does not look good at all... I am only replying because I just went through something similar with a toad I saved from a back yard pond. His right back leg had been attacked by the crayfish they were keeping in the pond and the 3 toads that were in the pond with them were trapped in there! I let the 2 adults go and when I picked up the toadlet, I noticed his leg was broken and the skin was shredded to pieces and even chunks go muscle were missing... It was even infected and swollen 3 times the size it should have been from the nasty water in the pond. I felt so bad for the little guy! So I took him home with me and began to treat his leg. The leg was just flopping around like your tree frogs leg and I was worried that he would even lose it completely. It has now been nearly 2 weeks since I began treating him and his leg is MUCH better! it no longer flops back as if broken and the skin has regrown over the leg. The muscle is still week and thin, but over all he is about 90% recovered! Don't lose hope, these guys are very resilient and can bounce back from some of the worst injuries. Good care and the right medicine will do wonders; just make sure you don't put anything in his hospital enclosure that can contaminate the injury. Change his paper towels daily and make sure he can not move around much. He won't want to soak for about a week or so, just make sure you mist him at least once a day. I, personally, would mist him every time you apply his meds. I used the original Neosporin without pain meds and it closed up the wounds and got rid of the infection in about a week (which surprised me, I was sure it would have taken longer just to get rid of the infection). Good luck with the little one and I am sure you will be able to heal him so long as he is taken care of. You are in good company here at the frog forum. The people here are very kind and helpful, they have helped me with many of "near" catastrophes. Best Wishes; MsBlueRose

Lisa13

Howdy doody folks! Thanks so much for all the replies! Lefty seems to be doing pretty good. We've been feeding him small grasshoppers and pull bugs from under the horse troughs. He ate 5 yesterday! How much should I feed this little critter??? I've been changing his papers daily and doctoring his leg. It looks better, he still has some exposed muscle tissue and his foot doesn't look great. His color changed from yesterday to today. He was a darker green all week and today he is a lovely brighter lime-ish green. I hope that's a good sign and not a bad one! He was eyeballing me this morning too when I peered in at him. Which he's looked sort of dull til now. He was not wanting to him still at all today as I was trying to apply the neosporin, so I guess he's feeling better. So, so far so good!! How will I know when we are out of the woods? Is like to get him a bigger aquarium once he's all healed up. I'll have to do some more reading! I really appreciate all the lovely response and energy here! I will try to get a new pic of him up later today!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I am so glad he seems to be doing better! Tree frogs change their color from night to day and when stressed out. I would take his lighter color during the day as a good sign. I am not the right person to give advice on caring for an injured frog, but I wanted to reply since I have been lurking in this thread since you started it. Thank you for being concerned enough to attempt to rehab him and get him all better!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wonderful news! It does look like it is getting better. Dont rush transferring the guy anywhere, not until he is completely healed. Once his skin and leg is better you will need to deal with parasite load all wc guys carry, if you are gonna keep him. But that is a next step.
    The fact he is all green and eating is very very good! Just do whatever you do now, it seems you are doing great!

Lisa13

Yay! Thanks Lija and Paul! I'm very excited he's made it this far! As I was so devastated when I found him hanging out my window. Anyway, he ate another fat grasshopper today, so I am happy. No I was planning on keeping him in his sick bay until all his wounds appeared to be healed. I will look into a bigger pad for him with greenery etc once he's solid once more. What should I be looking at as far as parasite control? Can I get that at Petsmart? I still haven't found a vet in this neck of the woods that knows anything about tree frogs. (Horses and cattle and dogs and cats oh my!). Speaking of, do I need to worry about parasite sharing betwixt and between the dogs/cats and froggy? I haven't made it that far in my critter research. Thanks again for all the knowledge and well wishes! I'm quite sure all the good vibes have helped immensely!

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

well its good its getting better

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are very welcome Lisa! Nope parasites is nothing to worry, no danger to you or dogs/cats/horses/etc or even for a frog just yet. Priority right now is to get his/her leg heal. And then you can contact dr. Frye http://milanareaanimalhospital.com you can send him samples of poop and he will send you meds back. Simple and easy and i believe not expensive.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am so glad you little tree frog is doing better! Can I ask how he got the name "Lefty," I think it is an adorable name? Post us a pic if you can, I would love to see him! Congratulations on the healthy recovery! Best Wishes - Amy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Any updates on frog ?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I would really like an update also, I have noticed a few more people starting to take interest in frogs
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Thread Information