Thread: Help! temp and humidity

A3gilmore

Default Help! temp and humidity

Alright guys, so I got a heat lamp (50 watt, still have the heat pad) and I'm misting and I have foil covering half the lid. However I still can't get gurtrudes tank to stay at the right humidity and temp. It's in the low 70's for heat and 50% humidity.... What can I do to raise them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! temp and humidity

What gauges are you using, what is the size of a heat mat and a tank itself?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

A3gilmore

It's a 10 gallon, with a heating matt sized for a 10 gallon... i think it acctually takes up about 1/3 of the back pannel. and I'm using analog gague.. I'm looking at getting a digital one depending on how much I have at the end of this pay check. In the time I posted this to now I resprayed the ground, and completely covered the screen with tin foil. With only a small section cut out for the heat lamp.

Nationality
    [Canada]

For a 10 gal having 50w infrared and heat pad sound excessive, depending obviously on your room temp. I would very much question the reading on your gauge. They are awful and close to never correct.
    I suggest you be very careful, multiple deaths were reported due incorrect readings of tank gauges.
    You need to get digital gauge asap.p, you need to know correct readings.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

pegasus

flukers makes a dual thermo hygro gauge thats pretty good.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Actually you can get pretty accurate digital combos from walmart they are for about 10$ in Canada, i bet you guys can get them for 7-8$.

Nationality
    [United States]

Never had a problem keeping the right temps/humidity when all screen but the hole for CHE dome was covered in aluminum foil. You might have a bad reading gauge. What is the room temp where enclosure is located?

Last thing you want is to over heat the enclosure. A "floating aquarium thermometer" just costs a couple bucks and will give you an accurate temp. reading. They come with a suction cup you can attach to glass wall above the frog's reach. Myself use them as back-ups for digital gauges .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

A3gilmore

Alright guys I got the duel digital gage from walmart. It has since had a steady reading to 75% humidity and 79*F. Thats with the mat and the lamp and the foil covering all of the top with a small section cut out for the lamp.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok this is weird though, humidity it great, but it would be nice if you could raise temps a little for a day. What temps do you have for a day and night, or your lamp is going day and night?

10 gal heat mat wont do anything for 10 gal tank they are intended to be under tank heater for snakes and such to heat up the substrate, but for frogs when attached to a side you need bigger ones. Still 50w infrared should be more the enough.... Weird. What is temp in your house and where in a tank do you ahve that gauge? Picture perhaps?

A3gilmore

It's not an infrared bulb. And I'm getting a larger mat. But day temps are 79•f and night is normally 72•f. When I get the mat I'll update. I was hoping the 10 gallon mat would be ok. Temp in the house is like 70, in my room maybe 69. Mine stays cooler cuz the door is shut

Nationality
    [United States]

79° is ok. It won't hurt the frog. Some do actually like it a bit cooler, but 72° night temp is to low.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you describe your light fixture and the bulb type? Thank you!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information