Thread: Eastern Gray treefrog owners

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Eastern Gray treefrog owners

i have raised a couple tadpoles and now i have a 2-legged tadpole and a froglet. I am wondering what you use for a terrarium or vivarium. Do you need to keep it warm? (these treefrogs live thru the harsh winters, so i am not sure.) Tell me about your enclosures and post photos if you have any. I have flightless fruit flies on their way. Tadpole with 4 legs turned into froglet overnight, last night. His tail almost totally resorbed that fast. He also turned green. He is so tiny. Was planning to release, but now seeing their size, I wonder if they will be eaten by large insects. The tadpoles were in the pool cover of my neighbor who did not want to kill them. I took a group of 9. After a water change, I lost 7. These 2 lived. Now i have a cute teeny little guy named Sticky, and waiting on #2 to morph.

So if you keep Eastern Gray tree frogs, please tell me about yours. I am very interested in all you can tell me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Eastern Gray treefrog owners

by the way- i did read the article about them. Wonderful article and i just want people's experiences owning and keeping them. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i have been reading the archived posts on grays, and getting some good ideas. my froglet does not seem to be interested in food, he became a froglet monday, and i have fed him some flightless fruit flies the past couple of evenings, but he does not seem to care. he looks healthy and happy, and is active, he even dunks in his water bowl every now and again. just not eating yet.

Hi Colleen,

I had the same problem with one of my newly-morphed Gray Tree Frogs. Some seem to eat right away, while others- I'm told, can take up to 5 or 6 days. One of mine took 3 or4 days before eating his first fruit fly. I too was worried that he might not ever eat. Try setting up a feeding tank where you can drop the fruit flies right in front of him one at a time. I have found that if you drop in too many at once, they can feel overwhelmed, and may not eat unless they are aggressive eaters.

Sticky seems to be otherwise healthy, so I would be optimistic about him starting to eat. Just keep offering him the fruit flies one at a time in the feeding tank and he should start eating. If the fly walks to the other side of the tank, and Sticky doesn't pursue it, drop another right in front of him. This worked for my stubborn eater, hopefully it will work for yours.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck...

RJ

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

thanks. i have been trying to make it easy for him to find them, i only have a water bowl in the kritter keeper and i have set it on a white towel, so he can kind of see the FF crawling in there. and i am only putting a few in at time, but then i worry they are moving around too fast. i guess when he's ready he'll eat.

Hi Colleen,

I would remove the water bowl while you are feeding him. This way there is nowhere for the flies to hide. Basically just make it all about Sticky and the flies, nothing else. Also, when you drop the flies right in front of him, you may get an instinctive response to movement. He may react and eat the fly before he has time to even think about it. This worked well with my stubborn eater.

When he finally does start eating, you will find that the fruit flies are no match for the speed and quickness sticky is capable of.

Good luck, Colleen! Hope he eats tonight!

RJ

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks. will try that and see what happens.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sticky is hunting this morning! Yay! he's not getting many if any, but he's trying. i am sure he'll figure it out.

That's great to hear!

RJ

Thread Information