Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE!! pacman feeding problem

Abe

Unhappy HELP PLEASE!! pacman feeding problem

Hey guys im really Hoping i can get some help. I have a young pacman frog, about a year old, and lately ive been having trouble when feeding him. I usually throw crickets in his tank but when the crickets pass by him he simply opens his mouth but Doesnt stick his tongue out so he doesnt catch them. I bought feeding tongs but when i manage to get one in his mouth he struggles to swallow it. I know pacmans are voracious feeders and he looks thin. Im really concerned thank you for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default HELP PLEASE!! pacman feeding problem

Are you using a calcium with vitamin D3 supplement?

How long have you had him? Has he ever eaten for you or is this a change?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Abe

Default Re: HELP PLEASE!! pacman feeding problem

I feed the crickets Food with calcium and D3. He usually will readily take his food but now he lets the crickets walk by him without sticking his tongue out, but if i put a cricket by his mouth ,with the tongs, he just opens his mouth and i have to put it in his mouth but when he has it in he doesnt swallow right away

limnologist

do you notice anything unusual in his mouth when he opens it? does he lunge for the food? have you tried feeding anything other than crickets and are the food items possibly exposed to some chemicals?

Abe

And ive had him for about a year

Abe

I havent seen anything in his mouth. Im not sure what you mean by lunge i only feed him crickets. I keep the crickets in an ice cream tub with egg cartons.

limnologist

since youve had him for a year, obviously youve fed him before. when did he start having trouble eating?

By "lunge" I mean jumping towards the food and biting it instead of using his tongue.

do you clean the cricket cage often? Also, unlike a lot of the hobbiests here, I dont disagree with not using supplement powders but only because I feed my pets insects that I feed fresh fruits and other such things, also, I feed them various types of insects. My recommendations is that you feed those crickets well and that you get some other prey items to feed the frog I.E - earthworms, mealworms, superworms, waxworms, grasshoppers, minnows, guppies, leopard frogs and bullfrogs, baby mammals, ect.

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Sorry to hear about your frog not doing too well. I think you are having this problem because the frog isnmt getting enough vitamins and minerals. You should do some research about it on your own because some of it is kind of complicated, but itms not too hard to find a schedule that works for you.

You will need to purchase some powders from the pet store, one will be called calcium with d-three, which you will need to use every other night. On those nights, you should alternate with regular calcium with no d-three, because too much can be as bad as too little.

You'll also need to get some multivitamin powder from the same place, which will be something you use once a week, but not on a night with any other powders.

My frog Bubba once became very sick and weak, and lost the use of her front legs entirely. she could barely move. I got the proper powders and within a day or two she was back to normal. Now, many months later, she is as sturdy as a brick house and as muscular as a pro wrestler. She's healthy and happy and I owe it all to the advice from this forum. Hope you can turn the little guy's health around.

By the way, I am not an expert so you may wish to wait for some more knowledgable folks. Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF Abe ! Sorry your Pacman is not well. Please answer the below posted questions to see if we can identify cause.

Also, how many crickets did you used to "throw in" the enclosure? Did you removed the uneaten one's within a few hours? What do you gut load the crickets with? In the mean time, head out to Walmart or a local bait shop and get some not dyed night crawlers. A year old Pacman (+ 3 in. snout to vent) should be able to handle those whole. Try dangling worm in front of frog's mouth or dropping it in front of it without worm hitting the frog's nose. If frog eat's it; then feed as many as it will take and update thread. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, ill wait for these q to be answered, and would you pls post pic of the enclosure and a frog itself.

It can be anything from nothing to something.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Abe

I started having feeding problems with him about four months ago. He doesnt really lunge at the food but sometimes he does a pushup motion. I clean the cricket tub entirely about twicr a month. I normally use to throw about 3-4 crickets in the tank but now i throw about 5-6 in the hope that he eats some, i feed him at night and try to remove the crickets the next day. He wasnt eating regurlarly until a couple months ago because he was my little brothers pet but he was neglecting him, so i started caring for him. I feed the crickets Fluckers High Calcium Cricket Diet.
    ·The enclosure is about 15 in. Width and lenght and about 30 in. Height
    ·"Frank" my frog, lives alone
    ·i spray the tank once daily
    ·he is at room temp. No heat
    ·i use tap water with Aquasafe For Reptiles and Amphibians
    ·he is in cocofiber substrate mixed with some organic fertilizer for the plants
    ·his tank has some live golden pothos and peat moss. I mixed some cocofiber and fertilizer and added them above a layer of rocks for drainage, then i washed the plants roots and planted them in the viv.
    ·i feed him only crickets so far
    ·i feed the crickets a calcium and vitamins mix
    ·his tank is next to a window and he gets some sunlight, so do the plants
    ·i am not using any specific heating he is at room temp.
    ·he ate yesterday 7/9/14 he had one cricket that i put in his mouth
    ·yes, i cleaned some poop less than a week ago
    ·What i consider symtoms is that he wont stick his tongue out and lets crickets walk right by. When i feed him with tongs he'll open his mouth and i try to get a cricket in although he struggles to swallow it. He sometimes looks like hes shaking or doing pushups.
    ·He is about a year old
    ·ive been caring for him for about 3-4 months
    ·im not sure if hes captive or wild caught he was purchased at Petco.
    ·i only feed crickets
    ·he is never handled except in rare occassions like when i planted his tank
    ·the enclosure is kept in a moderatly trafficked area
    ·i havent changed the substrate in about 3 months and i spot clean for poop, cricket parts, and dead plant matter.

·ill try to have pics up asap thanks alot guys i truly appreciate your help and time

Abe

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  202.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  108.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  96.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  117.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  68.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  100.8 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

It is not good! I was kinda hoping it is nothing and he just refused to waste his energy on tiny prey like crickets, but that is not the case, he is severely malnourished, stunted and toxic out. I bet he is no more then 2", am i right? we will try to fix it. It is too late now to go buy anything, so that is what you need to do today.
    Take him out of his cage asap, place him in a water bath. Do you have unflavoured pedyalite? If you do add it to his water bath 5 parts of water, 1 part of pedyalite. Water should be warm, no higher then frogs chin. Keep him in there for 20 min. While doing so, take everything out of the cage, disinfect it and put in exo earth (plantation soil). Do not mix it with anything. If you dont have that today, just plain wet papertowels will work until tomorrow. Add artificial plants if you have any, if not anything he can hide under, cover 3 sides of the tank with anything not see through.
    that would be it for today, i will reply what is next tomorrow, gotta go now.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll add to what Lija started; but please do read this care guide since your frog's life depends on it: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding.

Never use any kind of plant fertilizer or any chemicals in a frog enclosure! Shredded coco substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated tap water until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out. It should be spot cleaned as required and changed (all of it) monthly. Plants can be kept in pots with ABG soil only and really are not recommended with Pacmans because the frog will trample them. A silk plant is all you need in there.

Your enclosure is huge and could be stressing out the frog. For a Pacman less than 3 in. a 5 gal. tank is more than enough. Only thing needed in there is the substrate, dechlorinated tap in water dish (changed daily), and a silk plant.

Get a digital thermometer and hygrometer so you can adjust the temperature to 82-84F day time with a few degrees drop at night. This is very important because Pacman's exposed to cold temps can develop permanent kidney and lymph heart damage. The humidity should be between 70-80%. You can heat the tank with a 60W Ceramic Heat Emitter on a dome with a dimer you can control or use a thermostat. Or can also use a red incandescent bulb of a wattage that will get you those temps. If required, can use aluminum foil to cover most (I cover my whole top and cut out a hole for light fixture just making it 1 in. bigger all around) to help keep heat and humidity in.

In it's condition, the unflavored Pedialyte 80F bath (or similar baby electrolyte) Lija mentioned can be very good. You can try feeding the night crawler after returning frog to it's cleaned out enclosure. For frogs smaller than 3 in. you can cut the worm from pointy end same length as frog. If frog does not eat, then let us know. Force feeding a nutritious mix might be required. Crickets should be sized same or smaller than distance between frogs eyes and gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal. The staple food should be the night crawlers, not the crickets. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default HELP PLEASE!! pacman feeding problem

Right i didnt noticed the dimensions of the tank

So Carlos had covered husbandry.
    Ill do vet part. You will need to do water baths with pedialyte for at least 3-4 days, you need to flush toxins out. You will also need to get reptiboost and use it, you can coat nightcrawlers with it or even crickets if he refuses worms, but just to feed reptiboost, for a food use inly nightcrawlers. They have the best ca/d balance and easy digestible.
    See how it is going, you will most likely need to force feed critical care formula, but if he eats nightcrawlers it is not needed. Yet.
    Pls update us how it is going, we might suggest different game plan accordingly.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; July 11th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.

Abe

I cleaned his tank And disinfected it. I also put him on moist paper towels and covered his viv almost entirely with a towel. I have a thrmostat and a temp-Gun. For the substrate, do i change it once a month while in this condition or is that in general?

Nationality
    [Canada]

That is in general, you need to change it every month, but wet papertowels you need to change every day.
    you will also need to get ca/vitd3 powder (every second feeding) and multivitamin powder ( once a week or less depending on how often he eats), but that is later, now you need reptiboost +feed him as much as he can eat every single day.

I also think fecal exam would be a good idea to do.

Abe

I gave Frank His pedialyte bath tonight. After his bath i tried feeding him the crawlers but he didnt take it. I also tried to feed him a Reptaboost dusted cricket but he didnt take it unfortunatly.today i bought all his things for his new setup and he will be housed in a much smaller viv. Thanks alot guys God bless you.

Abe

I gave Frank his second pedialyte bath tonight. I also set up his new viv and tried to feed him again but he didnt eat . Im really afraid he might die because he looks really weak. He seems really defensive also.

Abe

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  178.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  130.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  145.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  199.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  231.7 KB Here are some pics of his new setup, I would of had his heat ready but the heat emitter I bought didn't fit the dome I had .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information