Thread: Advice for New Cornuta Owners

parathalyn

Default Advice for New Cornuta Owners

I recently added a Surinam (aka Cornuta) horned frog to my collection--after reading and talking with folks for almost a year about them...and having great luck with my other horned frogs. I was told by the seller that this guy is CB and it has been feeding just fine for the ~9 months they'd been raising it (and several others). But, given it's size and reluctance to eat unless force fed, I'm now wondering if it was WC. Only time will tell. So far, no signs of illness, but I'm still waiting for a fecal to test. He's a reluctant eater and pooper!

I've spoken with a few of you who have had success with Cornutas, but wanted to make a forum post so others would benefit too.

What advice would you offer a new Cornuta owner? What warning signs should new owners look out for and what tests/treatments should new Cornuta owners do (for either WC or CB specimens)? What husbandry issues should they be aware of? How does their care differ from Cranwell's, Ornates, etc?

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone posts! These frogs are difficult, but definitely worth it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Advice for New Cornuta Owners

Care very similar to the other horned frogs, they like more humid though, closer to 80 then to 70.

One thing i must say. Cb are also picky and very very sensitive to any changes in the environment. So keep it as stable as humanly possible and as clean as possible too. Everything for them should be spot on at any given moment. Good luck.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

parathalyn

Default Re: Advice for New Cornuta Owners

I can already see the preference for higher humidity. When I check on him, he is almost always in the pool or nearby. He also seems to like pushing dirt into his pool to make mud. I've changed his pool water more often in the last week than I have for the others in a month. I also constantly mist his enclosure.

Thread Information