Thread: Help a teacher :)

teacherfrog

Default Help a teacher :)

Im moving into a new science classroom this year and I would like to have a class pet. I will be in middle school so no little kids who don't understand not to touch. Basically I would like a frog that is eye catching, and thus interesting to the kids but that isn't going to be over whelming to a new frog enthusiast. Ive been really amazed by pac man and fire belly toads simply because I know they will catch the attention and interest of the students... again no student will be with the animal without supervision... Do you guys have suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help a teacher :)

There are several Dart frogs species that are very easy to care for and have amazing colors. I know my sons friends who see his 2 Azureus in his Vivarium in his room are stunned at how vivid their colors are. They look almost fake lol.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help a teacher :)

You would do best with diurnal (awake during the day) frogs, I think.

Pacman frogs are great but they are daytime sleepers and they burrow under the substrate. Not too exciting for kids. They feed at night.

Some great daytime frogs are dart frogs and fire belly toads. Tinc species of darts are a bit larger and easy to care for. They will need steady temps in the 70's. Lots of beautiful colors. You'll need flightless fruitfly cultures and springtails, which are both easy. They're a great way to teach the nitrogen cycle and metamorphosis. You can also teach DNA gene selection with the fruit flies as they are bred to hold the flightless gene. Pretty neat. Live vivariums are also great for teaching photosynthesis . And the rain/water cycle with the misting, condensation, evaporation, etc.

Fun!

We can guide you with care sheets and tips for the species you choose .

Welcome to the forum .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! Agree with going either with Fire Belly Toads (FBTs) or one of the larger outgoing darts. Also; this might help you decide: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am very partial to clawed frogs (Xenopus laevis), if they are legal and available in your area. They are easy to care for and have several unique physical features and behaviors. I also agree that fire-belly toads will make a great frog, as well as poison dart or mantella frogs.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information