Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Frogs

lnaminneci

Default New to Frogs

Hello! I am new to the care of frogs.
    I have two little Pacific Chorus Frogs living in my potted ice plants outside.

Quick questions for you guys, if I may. Sorry for my noviceness(is that a word?)
    What does "gut-load" a cricket mean? Do they really eat 50-70 fruit flies per frog every other day? WOW!!

What is the life span of a Pacific Chorus Frog?

Thanks for any comments!

Jace

Default Re: New to Frogs

These are great and amazing little frogs. I stumbled upon them quite by accident myself, and I have literally fallen head over heals for these guys and their amazing calls. To answer your questions:

Gut-loading is when you feed crickets high quality food so that when the frogs eat the crickets, they are getting the best possible protein and not just empty calories. For instance, I feed my crickets a variety of fruit and vegetables as well as a bit of cat food 12-24 hours before I feed them to my frogs. I then dust them with calcium powder and my frogs have a great meal on six legs that they can't resist. As for eating that many fruit flies every other day, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 adult Pacific Chorus Frogs could pack that away-these frogs love a good meal, but it seems a bit high for each frog to eat that much. It would definitely be a chubby frog!

I am not sure how long these guys live for. Paul from NW Amphibian Rescue would have a better idea. To guess, I would say approximately 3 years, give or take.

Paul Rust

Very good answers Jo-Anna. Just a bit more here, They live around 6 years in captivity. Fruit flies are a bit small for adults, I feed them for snacks but small and medium crickets should be the staple diet. They are little piggies and will over eat so just feed them enough to keep that chubby belly.

Jace

Thanks Paul! I am continuing to learn about these little frogs and every time I come onto the Forum, I seem to learn something new! 6 years-wow. Good-because it so so easy to become attached to them, I'm glad they stick around for a while .

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Lesley

lnaminneci

Thanks guys!

Paul: I have not heard Niko calling...yet. I was listening for him last night. But I only heard distant faint frog calls. Maybe he's shy and working up the courage to find his voice..
    Pako and Niko seem very happy. They are still hanging out, and I've put out some wood for hiding places for them.
    I also went to a tropical petstore today, and I'll be getting some small crickets for them, they come in tomorrow.
    I also caught myself looking around at the atrium habitat containers.....uh-oh...

Jace

Uh oh...looking at atrium habitat containers...lol. Paul, I think our work here is done, our plan has worked!! Bwahahahahaha...ahem, sorry.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Uh oh...looking at atrium habitat containers...lol. Paul, I think our work here is done, our plan has worked!! Bwahahahahaha...ahem, sorry.
    Soon our army of chorus frogs will be big enough to..........Shhhhh, it's a secret.

lnaminneci

I'm gonna start calling you guys "Pinky and the Brain"......

I got the crickets (pin-head) today. How many crickets will each frog eat a day? I'm thinking I didn't get enough....only got about 20-30.

Jace

Please, PLEASE say I'm the Brain! Lol...sigh, if only it was true. I am sure that Pako and Niko are finding some food on their own, so I would just put a few crickets in there per day. Yoki can pack away 5-6 good size crickets, but I think I over-indulge him, too. I have "Sucker" tatooed somewhere on my body, I just haven't found it yet.

As for our (not so evil) plan...did it work? Are u a proud frog habitat owner yet??

nana

[QUOTE=Jace;23445]Please, PLEASE say I'm the Brain! Lol...sigh, if only it was true. QUOTE]

You are the brain hunny ....welcome to the forums neci

Kurt

I have "Sucker" tatooed somewhere on my body, I just haven't found it yet.
    Would you like help looking for it?

lnaminneci

[ "As for our (not so evil) plan...did it work? Are u a proud frog habitat owner yet??"]

Pinky and the Brain's plan of Chorus Frog Domination has not succeeded......Yet...

I'm still scoping out and pricing habitats for them....we will see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Would you like help looking for it?
    Kurt, half the fun is imagining where they might be....

Jace

Lesley, I am sure you will find something in the right price range. As for Pacific Chorus Frog domination...Yoki is doing his Buddha impression right now, which means he is plotting something. He looks sweet and innocent, but you have been forewarned....lol! :0

lnaminneci

I am trying to decide between horizontal- think would have more room to jump around, or vertical -more room to climb up, but not as much hopping room.
    I am narrowing down habitats for them.

What do ya'll recommend:
    • 10 gallon tank - 20x10x12 (horizontal) OR
    • Acrylic Atrium Habitat - 18x12x20 (vertical)
    Do Pacific Chorus Frogs need a light lamp or is natural daylight enough? Do they need humidity? Do they like moss?

I would like to have live plants for them and picking some varieties. Since they like my iceplant soo much, will have some cuttings in the habitat to grow as well.
    Last edited by lnaminneci; June 12th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Paul Rust

I would go with the vert. Make sure you have room for a water pond. Definately use live plants and moss.

Paul Rust

Kurt, half the fun is imagining where they might be....
    I know where they are.

Jace

Okay, smarty pants-how many do I have, where are they and what are they of??? Just as I thought.....hehehehe.

lnaminneci

Hmmmm......anyone want to take a guess at mine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information