Thread: Switching to a bigger tank, well or city water? Reducing the stress of the change?

CJP32

Question Switching to a bigger tank, well or city water? Reducing the stress of the change?

Hello all, I'm new here and pretty new to frogs.

Right now I have 4 juvenile ACF in a 10 gallon tank with a small bio wheel hob filter and a sponge filter. I just picked up a 55L and it's sitting in my living room waiting to be setup. I have a Aqua-tec 30-60 hob and a Fluval 306, lid, stand, but no heater. My plan is to use playsand as substrate with some of the river rock from their current tank. I will also move the plants to the new tank and maybe add a few new ones. I also plan to move the sponge filter with the frogs to help prevent cycling.

My questions are should I continue to use my well water? The water is pretty good quality but we do have rust stains so I worry about iron content, I understand it can be toxic to frogs. If it's ok to use my well water is softened or unsoftened better? I can get filtered city water but it's obviously a little more difficult. I'm willing to do whatever is best for the ACFs.

Second question, is just for any advice on making the switch as low stress as possible for them. I've heard it's not good to net them so I plan to trap them in a small container for the actual transition. Any help on setting up the new tank and making it easier on the little guys would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Switching to a bigger tank, well or city water? Reducing the stress of the change?

I'd say use whatever you are already using. If you are using a good water conditioner, most of them detoxify metals as well as remove chlorine/chloramine.
    As far as capture, I always catch my frogs by hand.Put them directly into wherever hey are gong,they do not tolerate being held for long.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Switching to a bigger tank, well or city water? Reducing the stress of the change?

Well water can be unpredictable at times. The high iron content worries me. But, I saw the pics you posted of your frogs, and they are beautiful and look very healthy.

I suggest setting up the new tank with the water source they are currently in. Then as you do partial water changes, slowly change them over to city water. With either source, as Tony says, use a GOOD water conditioner, such as AmQuel.

As far a using sand, that is a personal choice. Myself, I don't like sand since it it very hard to clean and you frogs will ingest it eventually. It will also get into your filters and destroy your impellers. I use either bare bottom tanks (with the bottoms painted) or large river rocks (like you are already using). Again, that's just my personal opinion.

One last suggestion, move your existing filters (especially the sponge filter) over to the new tank to help speed up the cycling process.

Nationality
    [United States]

Agree with Tony to continue using the well water with a dechlorinator that neutralizes metals like Seachem Prime. Filtered city water might be OK; but if over filtered and similar to R/O or distilled, it might do more harm than good.

For the transfer, would just check pH and temperature is the same. Then capture the frogs in a small plastic container or plastic bag (use a net to guide frog in) and use that to move to new tank. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Agree with Tony to continue using the well water with a dechlorinator that neutralizes metals like Seachem Prime. Filtered city water might be OK; but if over filtered and similar to R/O or distilled, it might do more harm than good.

For the transfer, would just check pH and temperature is the same. Then capture the frogs in a small plastic container or plastic bag (use a net to guide frog in) and use that to move to new tank. Good luck !
    I can attest that for capturing ACF, especially if you are a clutz like me.. It's best to just guide them in to a rubbermaid pitcher or something similar.

They are really hard to pick up by hand, they are very slimy, and they totally freak out outside of water. The last time I tried to pick one up by hand he got away from me and started to belly flop across my living room.. use a plastic container of some sort like Carlos advises lol..
    Last edited by mpmistr; July 16th, 2014 at 08:03 PM.

CJP32

Thanks for the advice, once I get them moved and settled I'll post some new pics. These guys really need some more space.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    They are really hard to pick up by hand, they are very slimy, and they totally freak out outside of water. The last time I tried to pick one up by hand he got away from me and started to belly flop across my living room.. use a plastic container of some sort like Carlos advises lol..
    Noodling is a no-no I have caught ACFs by hand but now use the recommended plastic container covered with a fish net to prevent escapes while transporting.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

CJP32

I will use a large cup to trap them in for transport.

I picked up a water test kit so I can make sure the water is ready and monitor it after the change. My plan is to use the same water they have been in to this point and slowly change to treated city water with my water changes. Hopefully I can get them moved in the next few days. I will update once there is progress.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Noodling is a no-no I have caught ACFs by hand but now use the recommended plastic container covered with a fish net to prevent escapes while transporting.
    LOL, a couple of my frogs are actually ok with it. I will admit it took some work but they are just fine. The rest tough......Even I have to us a container.

CJP32

We just finished moving them over and so far so good. They seem to be exploring their new home. I used a large cup and caught them one by one.

Nationality
    [United States]

cool tank dimensions you got there.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Pretty!

Nationality
    [United States]

Very nice setup! Your frogs are gonna be very happy!

CJP32

Thanks for all the advice and kind words.

So far I like the sand much better than the river rock. I can use a battery powered gravel cleaner to get any excess food or waste much easier. With a little practice it doesn't get much if any sand. I have 4 filters going now, two from their smaller tank. I will probably cut down to the Fluval 306 and sponge after a month or so. Eventually we are going to night crawlers and floating pellets so things will stay cleaner. It's funny, even with all this extra space they are usually close to each other.

CJP32

They are still doing well. They have been getting some small earthworms as treats. Gonzo and Animal decided to split one themselves today. It was a froggy rumble until the worm broke apart. I wish I had gotten it on video.

I tested the water and it looks good but it's due for a partial change. I'm going to change about 15 gallons tomorrow. I eventually plan to add some ghost shrimp. I have the 10 gallon back up and running with a few glofish, fancy guppies and a dozen ghost shrimp. I hope the shrimp will breed so I can put a few in the frog tank occasionally.

Nationality
    [United States]

Photo of new tank link is broken. Glad all came out OK .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

CJP32

I think I deleted it from photobucket, every time I upload photos it goes nuts and uploads the last 6 or more photos again.

Edit: The albino Gonzo liked to float with his face out of the water in the old tank. He really seems to struggle with it in the new tank, I added a fake lily pad but he doesn't use it. Any suggestions on what I can do to help him relax? I'm going to adjust the Fluval's output to flow across the back of the tank because the current seems to push him when he tries to float.

Thread Information