Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whites Tree Frog Vivarium Build Thread

Default Whites Tree Frog Vivarium Build Thread

Lessons, lessons, lessons. Ya know why you rarely see backgrounds built outside of the tank? Because they never work out well in the end. Most people either give up and do it in a conventional way, or fight with it for a while get it to fit and end up rebuilding it when it pulls away after some time

Michael, this is all something that you can't rush. A lot is hurry up and wait. I think you are finding that out now. Foam needs at least 24 hours to cure, sometimes longer. I have had foam that I applied heavily and still hadn't cured 3 days later. Take your time. Don't rush things, your tank will look better in the end.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Vivarium Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Lessons, lessons, lessons. Ya know why you rarely see backgrounds built outside of the tank? Because they never work out well in the end. Most people either give up and do it in a conventional way, or fight with it for a while get it to fit and end up rebuilding it when it pulls away after some time

Michael, this is all something that you can't rush. A lot is hurry up and wait. I think you are finding that out now. Foam needs at least 24 hours to cure, sometimes longer. I have had foam that I applied heavily and still hadn't cured 3 days later. Take your time. Don't rush things, your tank will look better in the end.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    You're right, it did not work out. The background looks nice but it does not quite fit correctly. Perhaps I should go with tree fern panel or something similiar.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Can you trim it down at all to fit? That bites.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Can you trim it down at all to fit? That bites.
    Possibly. I know I can't start over, my fiance is already on me about spending money on this when we have a wedding coming up lol..

Nationality
    [United States]

It is looking good!

Bill is 100% right patience is the key with using Spray foam for the background. I have found that if you are wanting to make it thick in places it is best to spray a thin layer and let it cure for 24 hours then spray another layer and let it cure.

Another thing to keep in mind with using silicone as the adhesive for your background covering is that you really only get 1 shot at covering the background good. The silicone will not stick to itself when you try to apply additional coats. It may look good, but it WILL peal away and start falling off over time. I hate to suggest it, but I would suggest you count this first run at the background as a test and maybe start over. Now that you know how the foam expands and what to expect. You will get a much more durable end product this next time.

Another thing to think about is what is going to hold your Background in place once it is in the tank? With it being built out of the tank you really need something to hold it in place so it doesn't fall over randomly and potentially hurt your frogs. I built part of the background for my current build out of the tank, but once the pieces were fit into the tank I used more spray foam to basically glue them into place.

Here is a link to my thread incase you want to see what I ended up doing.

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...d-journal.html

I will be following your build along with you and can't wait to see how your vision comes together! Builds are so much fun!! (and addicting lol)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Possibly. I know I can't start over, my fiance is already on me about spending money on this when we have a wedding coming up lol..
    Michael, Michael lol you gotta learn the art of kissing up and you will be just fine, seriously what women would resist a guy telling her he loves her, bla, bla, bla and finish the sentence with i need to buy more silicone especially with wedding coming up! Congrats by the way!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Default Whites Tree Frog Vivarium Build Thread

Make her a ring out of silicone and a nice piece of quartz. That should calm her down lol

1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

The background actually fits.. it's just not straight in the back. I can get it in there but it fell over.. I pictured my frogs being crushed by it so I said fuggettaboutit.. I am going to try to shave some of the background off in the back then silicone it in. If that does badly, I am going to try tree fern panel or something similar. The false bottom is already installed, I did that part right I think.. lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    It is looking good!

Bill is 100% right patience is the key with using Spray foam for the background. I have found that if you are wanting to make it thick in places it is best to spray a thin layer and let it cure for 24 hours then spray another layer and let it cure.

Another thing to keep in mind with using silicone as the adhesive for your background covering is that you really only get 1 shot at covering the background good. The silicone will not stick to itself when you try to apply additional coats. It may look good, but it WILL peal away and start falling off over time. I hate to suggest it, but I would suggest you count this first run at the background as a test and maybe start over. Now that you know how the foam expands and what to expect. You will get a much more durable end product this next time.

Another thing to think about is what is going to hold your Background in place once it is in the tank? With it being built out of the tank you really need something to hold it in place so it doesn't fall over randomly and potentially hurt your frogs. I built part of the background for my current build out of the tank, but once the pieces were fit into the tank I used more spray foam to basically glue them into place.

Here is a link to my thread incase you want to see what I ended up doing.

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...d-journal.html

I will be following your build along with you and can't wait to see how your vision comes together! Builds are so much fun!! (and addicting lol)
    I will have to do some more research. I went crazy with the foam. I wanted to do it outside of the tank cause I was really scared I'd goof it up inside. I guess I got some experience with how to use it, right??

I wonder if I really need to do a foam background. I really just want to get a background with plants, what are some other options?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information