Thread: question about lights

pacman361

Default question about lights

i dont have my pacman yet so im just getting his home set up but, my tank is 78-80 in the day time and 70-75 at night with out lights.
    humd is like 80-90 what sould i do about the lighting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: question about lights

Hello and welcome to FF ! What size is the tank and the frog you plan to get? Babies need 82F during day, adults can take 82-84F. My preferred heating method is using a 60W Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) on a dome with built in dimmer. Also, can use a red incandescent bulb in similar set-up. If desired both will work off a thermostat like Hygrotherm. Another option is to use a heat pad on the enclosure side with a thermostat; but they are inefficient when used that way and you can't use below substrate.

Humidity is too high, need to lower between 70-80%; either by decreasing misting or increasing ventilation. Make sure you read about their care in here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

pacman361

its a 10 gal im getting my frog from petco the orded it and i dont know what size it will be

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

10G is too big for most Pacman under 3 in. My recommendation is to get the 10 gal. stable in regards to temperature and humidity; but empty. Also, cover 3 sides of it with any background you like to reduce frog's stress.

Once frog arrives; you can easily grab a small to medium size plastic critter keeper that fits inside the 10G at Petco (width or smaller dimension should be around 3X frogs length). Also get a ramped water dish that will fit frog (around 2X the frog diameter) and a small silk plant that will fit in critter keeper.

When you get home prepare the EcoEarth or Plantation Soil with dechlorinated tap (until slightly moist and clumps in fist but does not drip water out) and add 1 in. to critter keeper; fill the water dish with dechlorinated tap, rinse and locate the plant, and transfer frog gently to new home. Then place the whole critter keeper in the 10 G. Once frog reaches 3-3.5 in. snout to vent, prepare the inside of the 10G in the same way and transfer frog to it Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information