Thread: Help on dwarf frog food

frogphibian

Default Help on dwarf frog food

Hello all.
    I had an empty ten gallon tank laying around so ive decided to get so african dwarf frogs for it. I just had a few questions on feeders. The best places to get food for me are petco and petsmart, but if completely necessary there is a privately owned reptile store a little drive from me. 1. What foods can i get from those two stores that I can feed them? 2. I heard that a lot of people are allergic to bloodworms so im a little nervous to feed those. I have some food allergies too. If i could get them though, how could i feed them with out risk of a reaction. 3. Please name any and all foods that are good for them including the canned pellets and stuff that i can find at petco and petsmart. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
    -Trevor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help on dwarf frog food

Quote Originally Posted by frogphibian View Post
    1. What foods can i get from those two stores that I can feed them? 2. I heard that a lot of people are allergic to bloodworms so im a little nervous to feed those. I have some food allergies too. If i could get them though, how could i feed them with out risk of a reaction. 3. Please name any and all foods that are good for them including the canned pellets and stuff that i can find at petco and petsmart. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
    -Trevor
    Hi Trevor:
    1) These frogs love a variety of live foods, like tubifex worms and bloodworms. as long as they are live or frozen, but NOT freeze-dried. Occasionally, they can be coaxed to eat prepared foods like Repto-Min, but no guarantees.

2) Freeze-dried foods cause severe bloating.

3) Live or frozen/thawed foods mentioned above should work. You can try blackworms too.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

I feed mine Zoomed pellets and they have grown and seem quite happy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If allergic to BWs (I am) do not get the flats because you need to cut pieces off and handle more. Get the cubed ones and pop out a cube into a small deli cup. Let it thaw out in refrigerator overnight and using a toothpick or kabob stick transfer worms to frog's tank. Refrigerate leftovers and can use for a few day's; when worms become brown and start breaking up, throw away and start again.

Live black worms are nice treats and training frogs to take dry pellets is always good as sometimes you might have a shortage of other foods. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

chudson05

baby brine shrimp and live black worms are good

Thread Information