Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help PLZ Sick African Clawed Frog

aquariumlover2014

Default Re: Help PLZ Sick African Clawed Frog

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    hey yo digital punk yeah i should stick to my specialty all the frogs i have were given to me to look after for summer break im gonna stick to what i know best fish but hopefully when im ready to get my first real frog thats my own a pacman im gonna be back and i am still gonna read up on them but until i get him bye bye i will miss yall cuz this was a nice site but i will be back just remember that

I would appreciate it anyways if you step out Brian. I myself have not owned my frogs for very long but have certain knowledge and what you posted makes no sense and just doesnt happen anyways. I knew when I read it that it came from an beginner and agree with everyone that unless you actually know what your talking about then keep it to yourself. Googling stuff isnt always the best ways to get your info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agree that looks like a bacterial issue. Those are usually caused by contact with a diseased animal or bacterial blooms due to overcrowding/poor husbandry.

IRT your test kits; they might be faulty. Only way to check that is to take water sample in a sandwich bag to local fish store and have them tested. Foam in the water can be caused by bacterial bloom or excess organics from the frog's condition.

You mentioned adding salt and some medication to the water. Can you please state the dose being used for both and how many days has treatment been ongoing? How long do you need to run that antibiotic? Myself would treat with a combo of Melafix and Pimafix; but you can't stop antibiotic treatments half way because that creates problems down the line with antibiotic resistant pathogen strains. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I would separate and treat this frog individually and then do a massive 75-100% water change in the main aquarium. I would then do 50% water changes once per week for two weeks and then add the other frog back in one it has healed. I would then monitor the water chemistry like a hawk to see if something is "off". I know from keeping 3 female ACF in a 40B, they are quite capable of making the tank dirty, even with the Eheim 2217 canister I use, which is basically an overkill filter.

This 20G Long may not be "overstocked" but it may be on the brink. It is also not wise to densely stock X. Laevis, because bacterial infections can happen when there are too many housed in one enclosure. How overstocked you are also depends on how much filtration you have going, what filter is being used here? Also you have to keep in mind once you add sand and decor, you don't really have 20 gallons any more, it could be as less as 15 gallon once the tank is set up. You could pick up a 40B at Petco, I think they are running a $1/gallon sale. $40 for that tank is well worth the money, I paid a lot more for my 40B and if I could go back in time I would have hit up that Petco sale! a 40B is actually 45 gallons, more than double your current volume.

Some additional info.. I read your post again, it said you used AmQuel, which is actually fine but you are throwing money away. I would pick up Seachem Prime, I know I have probably mentioned Prime enough to warrant a check from Seachem BUT it is a lot cheaper than AmQuel (because it is concentrated and you wind up using a LOT less of it).

Second and more importantly, you mentioned you use an "Ammonia Remover".. what product is this, what is in it, and why use it? This could be part of the problem, I can tell you from fish/aquatic frog keeping that the less you up in your water the better off you are, if you have proper husbandry and conditions in your aquarium you absolutely do not need this product.

Last thing I will mention, as far as your testing, are you using a liquid based kit or a dip strip kit? Just wondering because those strips are notoriously inaccurate and while liquid test kits aren't perfect they are much better than the strips. I would invest in the API Freshwater Master Kit, buy it online though because in pet stores they sell it for $30+ and I buy mine online for $20 (try Amazon).
    Last edited by mpmistr; July 10th, 2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: additional info

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Agree that looks like a bacterial issue. Those are usually caused by contact with a diseased animal or bacterial blooms due to overcrowding/poor husbandry.

IRT your test kits; they might be faulty. Only way to check that is to take water sample in a sandwich bag to local fish store and have them tested. Foam in the water can be caused by bacterial bloom or excess organics from the frog's condition.

You mentioned adding salt and some medication to the water. Can you please state the dose being used for both and how many days has treatment been ongoing? How long do you need to run that antibiotic? Myself would treat with a combo of Melafix and Pimafix; but you can't stop antibiotic treatments half way because that creates problems down the line with antibiotic resistant pathogen strains. Good luck !

Was told never use melafix with the frogs.She is currently seperated frog the others in a small clear tote that holds about 5 gallons but I only have her in enough so she can stand and get air without swimming. I just want her to rest. I am currently using tetracycline orally by injecting it in her worms. Now that she has started eating again. The dose is 1mg/5g of body weight. I have just been injecting a full worm with 1 mg and when and if she eats it she gets it. Aquarium salt at half the dose it says on the box. I did this for 3 days, cleaning her clean water everyday. Now she is in regular water with nothing and seems to be clearing up. This morning she also decided to lay some eggs for me and eat her worm plus some snack guppies. The rash is fading I believe in another couple days whatever it was will be gone and I will put her back in the bigger tank with the other 2. After bringing water to pet store I realized my readings were way off. my numbers are reading. 7.3 PH, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrates 20ppm , nitrites 2ppm, phosphate 0. I have had this tank established for a yr now and have never had this problem before. What could have interupted my nice cycle? I have done a 15% water change to that one and added amquel.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Why you were told not to use melafix? It is one of the safest medications for frogs, very widely used in any frog not just aquatic. Any fish medication is safe to use for frogs, especially for aquatic frog. If you are using tetracycline use for 10 days in total, even after symptoms are gone.
    Glad she is better.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I would separate and treat this frog individually and then do a massive 75-100% water change in the main aquarium. I would then do 50% water changes once per week for two weeks and then add the other frog back in one it has healed. I would then monitor the water chemistry like a hawk to see if something is "off". I know from keeping 3 female ACF in a 40B, they are quite capable of making the tank dirty, even with the Eheim 2217 canister I use, which is basically an overkill filter.

This 20G Long may not be "overstocked" but it may be on the brink. It is also not wise to densely stock X. Laevis, because bacterial infections can happen when there are too many housed in one enclosure. How overstocked you are also depends on how much filtration you have going, what filter is being used here? Also you have to keep in mind once you add sand and decor, you don't really have 20 gallons any more, it could be as less as 15 gallon once the tank is set up. You could pick up a 40B at Petco, I think they are running a $1/gallon sale. $40 for that tank is well worth the money, I paid a lot more for my 40B and if I could go back in time I would have hit up that Petco sale! a 40B is actually 45 gallons, more than double your current volume.

Some additional info.. I read your post again, it said you used AmQuel, which is actually fine but you are throwing money away. I would pick up Seachem Prime, I know I have probably mentioned Prime enough to warrant a check from Seachem BUT it is a lot cheaper than AmQuel (because it is concentrated and you wind up using a LOT less of it).

Second and more importantly, you mentioned you use an "Ammonia Remover".. what product is this, what is in it, and why use it? This could be part of the problem, I can tell you from fish/aquatic frog keeping that the less you up in your water the better off you are, if you have proper husbandry and conditions in your aquarium you absolutely do not need this product.

Last thing I will mention, as far as your testing, are you using a liquid based kit or a dip strip kit? Just wondering because those strips are notoriously inaccurate and while liquid test kits aren't perfect they are much better than the strips. I would invest in the API Freshwater Master Kit, buy it online though because in pet stores they sell it for $30+ and I buy mine online for $20 (try Amazon).
    Ok, I have had an established tank for a yr now. Cycled and all. I would never do that big of a water change at once cause I still would like to keep my bacteria and not start all over. 2. I use a whisper 40g. Iwas told to use double with them to help keep the water clean. 3. Prime is over rated and I currently can not buy it around here where I live amquel is easier to get. 4. I never said ammonia remover I was talking about the amquel helping reduce the ammonia. I use amquel plus and other than it removing chloramines and stuff it helps with ammonia, nitrates and nitrites without disturbing the cycle. It sounded like you were trying to bash me at all costs and I just wanna say not everyone does things the same way and just cause my way is different doesnt mean its wrong. I have had no issues in a yr until now. As far as I am concerned and have been told I have done nothing wrong and have done my research to be sure of that. Although all os a sudden I have "old tank syndrome" I have no idea what messed up my cycle but I do not believe it was anything I did. 4. I do have a freshwater liquid kit and if you had read the post you would have known that. I would never use a dip stick test kit. I do not mean to be rude but I feel you are bashing me and I did my research for over a yr before I started this journey and have been doing fine the last yr so I must be doing something right.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah I won't have to eat shoes afterall. I figured this was a water chemistry issue. Sadly 0.25ppm Ammonia is bad news but 2ppm Nitrite is insanely toxic.

Honestly the water quality could have been out of whack for quite some time without proper testing. ACF are very tough animals, they can survive poor conditions for a very long time but eventually they will show signs of illness from the stress of being kept under subpar conditions.

I think you may just have too many frogs in that 20 gallon, not sure what filter is being used but it's overwhelming the biofiltration. ACF females are fat little things, they eat a lot and they poop a lot. They are messier than goldfish and you can't really keep 3 goldfish in a 20 gallon either. My advise would be to upgrade the tank to a 40B, the Petco sale I alluded to makes it a good time to upgrade.

I think with all three frogs in that 20 gallon you may wind up with the same situation down the road.

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Why you were told not to use melafix? It is one of the safest medications for frogs, very widely used in any frog not just aquatic. Any fish medication is safe to use for frogs, especially for aquatic frog. If you are using tetracycline use for 10 days in total, even after symptoms are gone.
    Glad she is better.

I was told by the guy I got her from to not use it. He runs a exotic pet store and is quite familiar with them. I dont know but if I had known that I would have gotten the melafix. If he wasnt on vacation I would have hit him up about all this. Thanks a bunch.

aquariumlover2014

Ah I won't have to eat shoes afterall. I figured this was a water chemistry issue. Sadly 0.25ppm Ammonia is bad news but 2ppm Nitrite is insanely toxic.

Honestly the water quality could have been out of whack for quite some time without proper testing. ACF are very tough animals, they can survive poor conditions for a very long time but eventually they will show signs of illness from the stress of being kept under subpar conditions.

I think you may just have too many frogs in that 20 gallon, not sure what filter is being used but it's overwhelming the biofiltration. ACF females are fat little things, they eat a lot and they poop a lot. They are messier than goldfish and you can't really keep 3 goldfish in a 20 gallon either. My advise would be to upgrade the tank to a 40B, the Petco sale I alluded to makes it a good time to upgrade.

I think with all three frogs in that 20 gallon you may wind up with the same situation down the road.
    I was hoping not the water but I am glad I found the problem. She is getting better and I will be looking into getting a bigger tank for them. I use a whisper filter wich is meant for a 40 gallon. I was told to get one for double the size. They like the whisper its quiet and if I fill the water right up to the neck it doesnt make too much of a splash. I wanna thank you for everything. You all have been such a big help. At first I thought it was red leg. I thought for sure I was gonna lose her. After hearing from all you I was able to calm down. Thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover2014 View Post
    Ok, I have had an established tank for a yr now. Cycled and all. I would never do that big of a water change at once cause I still would like to keep my bacteria and not start all over. 2. I use a whisper 40g. Iwas told to use double with them to help keep the water clean. 3. Prime is over rated and I currently can not buy it around here where I live amquel is easier to get. 4. I never said ammonia remover I was talking about the amquel helping reduce the ammonia. I use amquel plus and other than it removing chloramines and stuff it helps with ammonia, nitrates and nitrites without disturbing the cycle. It sounded like you were trying to bash me at all costs and I just wanna say not everyone does things the same way and just cause my way is different doesnt mean its wrong. I have had no issues in a yr until now. As far as I am concerned and have been told I have done nothing wrong and have done my research to be sure of that. Although all os a sudden I have "old tank syndrome" I have no idea what messed up my cycle but I do not believe it was anything I did. 4. I do have a freshwater liquid kit and if you had read the post you would have known that. I would never use a dip stick test kit. I do not mean to be rude but I feel you are bashing me and I did my research for over a yr before I started this journey and have been doing fine the last yr so I must be doing something right.
    Hmm, not sure where you feel I am bashing you, I am just trying to assist here. I did not see where you posted what type of kit you were using, if I missed that, sorry..

I do a 50% water change a week using amquel for water conditioner and ammonia remover and all numbers are in the normal range.
    Maybe you should correct your grammar? The word "and" would apply you are using two products, again if I misread this somehow, sorry.

aquariumlover2014

Hmm, not sure where you feel I am bashing you, I am just trying to assist here. I did not see where you posted what type of kit you were using, if I missed that, sorry..

Maybe you should correct your grammar? The word "and" would apply you are using two products, again if I misread this somehow, sorry.

I apologize. I am being grouchy. I am highly upset to see all her suffering was caused by something that coulda been avoided. Therefore I am quick to defend myself cause of guilt. Blagh. Just after a yr I would have figured the cycle crashing was impossible. Also a typo in that quote. was supposed to be 10% not 50%. Thanks for your help and sorry to be so harsh. I am usually used to ppl bashing me and telling me I am doing everything wrong. Usually thats what happens. Even though this setup has worked for a little over a yr now. I am just upset that I didnt notice before she ended up getting so bad. I used to test my tank once a week when I did 10% water change and then I just sorta stopped since numbers were finally always normal. Again I thank you for all your advice.

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

is froggy any better?

Nationality
    [United States]

I apologize. I am being grouchy. I am highly upset to see all her suffering was caused by something that coulda been avoided. Therefore I am quick to defend myself cause of guilt. Blagh. Just after a yr I would have figured the cycle crashing was impossible. Also a typo in that quote. was supposed to be 10% not 50%. Thanks for your help and sorry to be so harsh. I am usually used to ppl bashing me and telling me I am doing everything wrong. Usually thats what happens. Even though this setup has worked for a little over a yr now. I am just upset that I didnt notice before she ended up getting so bad. I used to test my tank once a week when I did 10% water change and then I just sorta stopped since numbers were finally always normal. Again I thank you for all your advice.
    I am sorry if you took some what I said the wrong way. I really am just trying to help. Xenopus just tend to get larger, fatter, and messier than you sometimes can anticipate. The females are fist-sized little hams basically, so they really just might need more water volume and more frequent water changes to keep problems from cropping up.

In all seriousness do check out the Petco sale, I *wish* I had a Petco closer to me because I would be taking advantage of that $1/gallon sale a LOT! If there is no Petco near you, try craigslist, I've gotten a more than a few tanks off there for very little money, I was able to get a 50 gallon tank for $40. Worst case scenario, get another 20g long and split the frogs up, they do not get lonely so they won't mind being split up!

Nationality
    [United States]

Was told never use melafix with the frogs...This morning she also decided to lay some eggs for me and eat her worm plus some snack guppies. ...What could have interupted my nice cycle? I have done a 15% water change to that one and added amquel.
    Melafix and Pimafix have proven safe with my frogs; but I never mix meds not meant to be. Unless you are breeding them and disease free; buying guppies or any live fish at pet shops (specially feeders) is the surest way to introduce pathogens in a tank. Amquel and other ammonia "neutralizers" interrupt the natural biological cycle in established filters. I've kept and bred fresh and saltwater fish for 52 years and know this from personal experience .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was told by the guy I got her from to not use it. He runs a exotic pet store and is quite familiar with them. I dont know but if I had known that I would have gotten the melafix. If he wasnt on vacation I would have hit him up about all this. Thanks a bunch.
    You're welcome! The guy you are talking about is mistaken anyhow im glad the problem is known now , thus can be fixed and you sure have right people here helping you.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information