Thread: Then and Now - Share

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Then and Now - Share

I thought it might be good to have a thread to show new members that we all start at the beginning and that everyone can learn! For those of you that have pictures, share your very first enclosures and frogs. Then show us pictures of now and show us how far you've come! Tell us how you came to be a frog parent!

Three years ago, my very first frog (Paddy) was handed to me in a box. I had said I always wanted tree frogs but was intimidated by the care. A friend of mine who worked at a pet store decided I had to "dive in" and go for it. That was a stressful night running to pet store, spending a lot of money on stuff that wasn't actually what I needed. Then I took a picture, posted it online, and was told everything that I was doing wrong! I thought it looked pretty cool and had spent a lot of money, so I was disappointed by the criticism. I did make adjustments the following day and, in a few months, built an entire new viv that was much more fitting for a tree frog.

First night with the new tree frog. 10 gallon tank, a log hide, excessive amount of moss, and no branches. Not exactly an ideal home for a tree frog. She was not thrilled with it obviously. Pet smart had also sold me "canned" crickets which were way too big for her to eat. The next day I was back there buying small crickets.

Name:  firstviv2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  39.7 KB Name:  firstviv.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  43.1 KB

Now, three years and many frogs later...this is my grey tree frog viv, which contains 4 very happy greys. 35 gallon Hex

Name:  IMG_0445.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  110.4 KBName:  IMG_0448.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  119.0 KB

The future home of my RETF's. 20G High

Name:  RETFviv.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  61.0 KB

I've had other vivs over the years, but this is what I currently have.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Then and Now - Share

Hi Amy! Well, at least you made corrections before it caused problems to frog. Story does not surprise me since most stores will prey on people that show up with no knowledge and already have an unknown pet at home.

My first frog was Stilgar, the GABF in my avatar. Local pet shop had 3 of them and myself (a fish guy) just looked at them with the other reptiles. One day I decided to get him and the employee told me the ones with the big ridges where males . My son found this forum and I've been an active member since.

Lucky for me, it did turned into a big male very expensively fast. Had no idea a frog could eat so much food and grow so fast. You can see some more pics of him in here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...-progress.html. Sadly; Stilgar was adopted out with my 2 Pacmans and most fish after I suffered a stroke . Now I have better health and have a few frogs, some tarantulas and 3 fish .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

First - Amy this post will make me so happy my wife does not read the forums lol.

Hi - My Name is Paul and I am an addict.

Red Eye Tree Frog Tank History -

I bought my wife 2 Red Eye Tree frogs as a present. I did next to no research on them and listened to the advice of the Petstore employees and ended up with this little Gem for them to live in.

After only a couple days of them living in there I could tell this wasn't right, but I didn't know how to fix it. I did some research online and through the little bits of info I could find I moved them into this tank (i think this was 2 weeks after We had them).

And if you looked closely at the above picture you will see that lovely piece of Grapewood Vine in the tank. Shortly after getting that tank together I found this forum. Through reading and researching I learned a lot on here. I also saw first hand that nasty grey mold and I started on another tank for the Reds. I ended up with this.

Since this tank they have had various other tanks. It was mostly me experimenting with builds and trying to find one that I liked he most. I will just post pictures below this in the order I built the tanks.

and their current home. The wife built this one so I am sure they will stay in this one for a long long time lol

And now My Mantellas. I got hooked on the frog hobby with my Wife's Reds. I loved the Mantella from the first time I saw them and decided I wanted to get some frogs I wanted. So i turned a 40B tank into this.

It was what I referred to as a natural style tank. No foam, silicone, or glue. Very few man made items in the tank. Had an aquatic section with shrimp and Plecos in it. I loved it! but eventually decided I wanted them to have more vertical space. So they currently live in this tank.

And this leads me to the Vents. Here is their current tank, but true to my addictive nature I am working on a replacement for them currently lol.

Here is the Vents tank in it's current build state.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

I love seeing the progression of the tanks and the learning curves. I don't really have pics of my first tanks. I did so many to experiment with different techniques before I even got frogs. Most were utter and complete failures!!! Even today,
    I still have tanks that drive me insane to the point that I just want to toss a hammer through them. (Without the frogs in them of course lol)

Currently, I am only keeping 2 tanks. The steam punk tank:

And my paludarium which I converted over the weekend to be a full out, drainage layer dart frog tank:

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Your first tank looks shockingly similar to my first tank, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Your first tank looks shockingly similar to my first tank, Paul!
    I thought the same!!

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I really hesitated in posting all my tanks in one thread. Embarrassing how many iterations I have been through to get where I am lol. I wouldn't mind it so much if it would of been without frogs being moved so much.

Nationality
    [United States]

I thought the same thing lol. Pet stores are at least consistent with the bad advice lol.

It's that sort of thing that has me seriously considering starting a small exotic pet supply store

Nationality
    [Canada]

Three years ago, my very first frog (Paddy) was handed to me in a box. I had said I always wanted tree frogs but was intimidated by the care. A friend of mine who worked at a pet store decided I had to "dive in" and go for it. That was a stressful night running to pet store, spending a lot of money on stuff that wasn't actually what I needed. Then I took a picture, posted it online, and was told everything that I was doing wrong! I thought it looked pretty cool and had spent a lot of money, so I was disappointed by the criticism. I did make adjustments the following day and, in a few months, built an entire new viv that was much more fitting for a tree frog.
    that is an attitude i respect!

Oh and by the way lol

hi my name is natalija, i am an addict and it is getting worse. Lol see the problem is that i never did tanks like you, with fatties you dont need to go fancy, but now ..... I did one tank for nasutas and currently reading everything you wrote on building tanks, so expect questions i gotta go something nice for my new peacock frogs i must say building nice tanks is a very very dangerous territory........

oh and by the way most of my tanks look exactly like your first ones. More or less
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lija, that is one of the reasons the toads bored me. As cute as they were, their tanks were so bland. Anything I tried to plant, they just kicked up. I did enjoy watching them get all excited every time I approached the tank though, they were like little puppies waiting for a treat.

I have asked 8 bazillion questions as I put my tanks together, that's how we learn!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    ...i gotta go something nice for my new peacock frogs ...
    Wow Lija, congrats, those are gorgeous ! Please start a thread on them with lots of pics !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks! And here you go http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ew-babies.html

They are monsters, like 3 pixies combined in one tiny frog.

Got plant shopping today thanks to all your threads spend probably more then i should lol but my other half will never know
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just bumping this up because I want to see more "Then and Now" pictures! We all started somewhere!

Hahaha! No freaking way! I was always awesome!! Lol

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Frogger00

I will keep this thread in mind as I build a large corner terrarium for my whites and move them out of the 30 gal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't have a pic of our very first tank from the mid 1970's, but you'll get some idea what it was like from this pic

Then:

Now:

Modern times; this is the outdoor setup we had for last summers visiting PCFs

We have had our White's tree frogs a short time by comparison to all the years we had PCFs...

Then:

Very First Whites Tree Frog Quarantine Tanks (October 2014) 5.5 gal

Current QT tanks (April 2015): Shirley & Honey-Lime, left (10 gal)
    Jelly Bean, right (5.5 gal)

Lucy Blue-Eyes, left (10 gal)
    Martha, right (10 gal)

Near Future/Next Current Setup, Medium-Tall Exo-Terra (24"Xx18"Dx24"T) for Lucy and Martha;
    going to be getting same size for Shirley & Honey-Lime, possibly putting Jelly Bean in with them unless
    he is too intimidated by Shirley's much bigger size (Jelly's still only 1 1/2"!)

Oh, the tank will be sans the container stuck in there on the lower left... I'm
    trying to hatch out some cricket eggs in there, don't think it's going to work though
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Just bumping this up because I want to see more "Then and Now" pictures! We all started somewhere!
    This should be a sticky
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

We all seem to start in the same place lol.

This is what my "viv" looked like almost two years ago. If I had kept my white's in that thing they would surely be dead by now.

This is the current setup. I like it, it looks natural and its actually pretty easy to clean. But I am determined to get them a bigger tank come April 19.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

BrittsBugs

Finally dug through my Laptop and found some photos of a few of my originals Set-Ups from Late 2013 and Early 2014, I was constantly changing and upgrading the layout/setup.

I'd done some initial research. Temperature, moisture/humidity, food, lighting, heat source, how many can co-exist together (if there was indeed a limit), and various other information.

Set Up 1:

I provided eco-earth substrate, half log hide, two separate water bowls. And has all four living together.

Set Up 2:

I decided to do away with substrate, being they constantly mistake any soul disturbed or accidentally moved for food. I though wood would be a nice addition to their setup. And the reptile safe vine looked nice in a chameleon setup I figured my tree frogs should love this, and included various branches.

Set Up 3:

I decided to do away with wood, with the humidity the wood eventually started to blacken and what I assume would be is rot/mold. I quickly tore apart the previous set up, removing all wood and branches. I ended up removing the vining as well it did not do its job well in supporting the chunky monkeys, and no matter how soon I picked out all poop nuggets, it started to develop a smell even after a soaking in hot water. So, with the great idea to provide an arboreal aspect to the frogs cage, I was back to the chalk board.

I went with a basic setup of hides, soaking bowls. And started doing research again. Hoping to unearth some new information.

Everything available from care sheets to online full set up blogs were of no help. There were so many faults with each advised setup. One highly advised sphagnum moss to help keep moisture up, yet moss has the same issue for which I went against eco-earth, not to mention the possibility of exposing my lovely whites to a fungus outbreak, no thank you.

So, I finally decided they at least needed fake plants for security even if the leaves couldn't support their weight, being some mighty heavy tree frogs.

Set Up 4:

I added fake plants that attached to the glass, hoping it would support them and allow them to sleep in their corners and under plants. Added large rounded smooth rocks, I like to call riverbed rocks. Some are large and rounded while others are flat, but rounded.

Their current set up is still pretty much the same minus the ceramic hide I provided originally because the ceramic was found to have a chip that left a sharp edge they could accidentally brush against while crawling around. Though they currently have 3 sides of the tank covered, and my current location does not have the lovely breeze and wind chill living on the beach coast had, and so they have no supplemental heat provided, except via a red heat lamp on cold nights, or if the next morning is expected to be chilly via an overhead heat lamp.

Their newest set up, a semi-aquatic setup is still in the works, once finish, I'll update pictures on my colony thread.

Lol, some various side notes. I used post it notes on the cages to keep up with their last feeding and days of quarantine left. (Should I decide to buy more WTF's to QT and add to their setup.) they stayed in the 10gal tank setup until they cleared quarantine. One White passed before I was able to schedule an appointment to bring them all in and get a check for s good and clear bill of health. I started quarantine back up and brought in the three I had left. They were cleared of any intestinal parasites, and no worms were found in their feces. One has since passed due to unfortunate circumstance of leaving them in the care of my in-laws, while I was away on vacation. I returned home to find one dead and the rest highly dehydrated. I immediately remedied what I could and kept a watchful eye on the last two. They are fine and were quarantined and again checked by a vet just to be safe after left in the tank with the dead frog that wasn't removed until my return. After they finished their 90-Days they were again placed back together. And months later I have since squired two more whites. They're both currently in QT with basic setups.

-BrittsBugs
    Reptile & Amphibian Enthusiast
    Insect Breeder
    Former Rat Breeder
    Pets: 6 AUS WTF's, 1 Hon Milk, 1 SM Corn, 1 BP, 5 H.Crabs, 1 C.Gecko, 4 RB Newts, 6 Betas, 5 MH Roaches, 1 L.Gecko, 1 W.Hognose, & so much more

Thread Information