Thread: My ACF, Bug, died and i dont know why... :(

hisgirl09

Default My ACF, Bug, died and i dont know why... :(

Hello everyone. My family needs help. I'll give you the background and hopefully somebody can help. About a year ago, we received a baby ACF from my fiancé's aunt who actually breeds them. She has had the mother and father for many years now. This was our first family pet so in turn we let our daughter name it and she named it Bug. We did some research to find out how to set up the tank, what to feed it, and how to tell the sex, etc. Over time we have been through several fish and other frogs didn't last because Bug would just eat them..lol horrible thing to explain to a 3 year old.. I made a mistake of thinking we had a 10gal tank but it was actually 5. I know it was stupid like, "how did you not notice?" I just didn't. Anyway so unfortunately for a year we have battled the tank about keeping the water clean. It wasn't til the last group of fish died and putting Bug in his bowl for like the 4th time til I realized my major mistake. I was putting enough chemical for a 10 gal tank into this 5 gal. Somehow Bug survived it all. I realized it with this last time in his bowl he was becoming very vocal and the water in his bowl was staying very clean. We ended up goin and getting him a nice 20 gal tank. This new tank was set up on 6/21/14. We used his old decorations and old gravel, but we also added new gravel. Still to this day the water is crystal clear so the chemical overdose had to be the problem for that issue. He is the only "creature" in the tank right now. Well..just this past week and a half he was shedding. He was eating fine and vocal still. But by Tuesday he was acting different, not vocal at all, and his skin was everywhere in his plants. Wednesday EVERYTHING GOT WORSE! He started freaking out flipping around etc as if he was choking, I assumed on a pebble or something. I WAS TERRIFIED! I got a spoon and start poking him attempting to help get it out. lol that's what started everything. from that point he just kept getting worse. Bug is albino so you could see when he turned red a bit then went back to his normal color but his veins were very visible. Hes never looked like this before. My fiancé rushed home because I was acting crazy I ws so scared he was suffocating and choking I didn't know what to do. He suggested I look it up. Everything I found said he was just molting, its normal, etc..so we just monitored him. The rest of the night he was moving more but you could still tell something was wrong. Bug has been with us long enough where we noticed. Later on he started jus floating, limp, and stayed where the water came out of the filter, no movement or anything for 20 mins then started swimming dramatically then floated in the same place the rest of the night. Thursday morning he was still there. I assumed he was dead so I unplugged the filter. He ended up swimming a bit so I was happy he was still alive but frustrated because he was just playing with my emotions.. Over the next few days sometimes hed be straight up, on his back, on his belly..still looking horrible not doing much..and not eating.. We did some research and thought he had the Chytrid Fungus so we made adjustments with the heat of the tank and were going to try the "heat treatment"..but didn't get to it yet. Apparently he was moving a bit Saturday night but Sunday morning you could tell he was dead.. By last night he had a slight film around him, and today its very thick. I know its horrible we just have him the tank but I don't have the heart to pull him out and my fiancé is really busy with work and we need to do it when our daughter isn't home. Doing more research on this fungus he had all the signs and symptoms but I jus read something that said, "Several species of frogs (African Clawed Frog for example) appear to be immune to this fungus for reasons we don't yet understand. " So this means that wasn't what killed him..everything fit though..the shedding, choking etc. Im deeply saddened by the loss of bug and I feel horrible that he was apparently suffering..please help us figure out what happened. and I do plan on adding life to the tank again but I need to know if I should drain it and clean it or jus add something to clean the existing water or what to do...I look forward to your responses and help. Peace & Froggy Love, Bug's Human Family

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default Re: My ACF, Bug, died and i dont know why... :(

like i said before sad rest in peace

4. This member thanks brian c for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My ACF, Bug, died and i dont know why... :(

Good you found the forum area. Please copy and paste the questions I posted on blog with best answers you can provide. Also, what chemicals (type, brand and doses) where you using in the 5 gallon? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information