Thread: plants for gecko in sand

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

Default plants for gecko in sand

the title says it all i have my leopard gecko in a 10 gallon with sand water bowl and a little house for kyle i did not pick name was given to me sticking with name out of respect

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TKexotics

Default Re: plants for gecko in sand

First, have you ever tried these.., .,?! ? It would make reading your posts a whole lot easier if you used them.

Second, before thinking of adding any plants you might want to consider giving it a proper sized enclosure, 10 gallon is just too small to maintain proper temperature gradients.
    A 20 gallon would be more sufficient for a leopard gecko.

How many hides does it have, and are they wett or dry hides? And wich ones are on wich side of the enclosure, warm or cool side.
    Do you use an under tank heater, heat lamp or both?

Also, sand is not the best type of substrate for leopard gecko's, if you don't supplement them exactly right they will most likely start eating of the sand to extract the salts and the minerals out of it, this can cause impaction and in the whorst cases will result in the death of the gecko.
    Even with the right supplementation the risk is rather high cause they will very often ingest a little during feeding.
    We suggest you use something as tile or slate, or paper towl works great too.
    We know they live in a rocky, sandy area in the wild but the sand overthere is sunbaked, and as hard as concrete.

To answer your question, most succulent plants will do good in dry environments, but you will still need to water them once in a while so it's best to leave them in their pot's for easy removal.
    Last edited by TKexotics; July 8th, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What kind of sand?

Sand can definitely be used for leos. They live on it in the wild. A lot of people claim its hard packed but after talking to people who have actually seen them in the wild, thats not always the case. Leos inhabit several different types of environments. A well hydrated and healthy leo will pass sand with no problems. I do agree that a 10G is to small for an adult leo.

TKexotics

Yeah we know where you are getting at, and you are right, most healthy leo's will not have any problems with it, given that you know how to see it if there is something wrong with it.
    Not to attack him or anything but as we read the posts we see made by the TS we believe he doesn't have enough experience yet to detect any problems in an early stage.
    That's why we suggest keeping it on a hard substrate, just to be on the safe side for now.
    And personaly , we feel the risk just isn't worth it.

If, for example, it doesn't get proper belly heat, wich we don't say it doesn't but we also see nowhere that it does, it could allready be having problems with it's digestive system, in our opinion you can't risk it untill everything else is in order such as proper tank space, right temps, correct humidity, etc...

And you don't have to believe me, but a few very close friends of ours have been there several times to study them, and the rest of the herpetofauna that occurs there, and they do NOT live on sand, they live in a very rocky sunbaked area with only a thin layer of dust on the surface, and a few scrubs here and there. They do roam around to hunt, feed and breed though and like you said they also will encounter pieces of land where the sand is loose and more desert like, but most of it is as hard as the rocks they hide under during the day.

We will ask for pictures of their trips to the Pakistan/India/Afghanistan border area next time we see them and ask if we can post them here if you like so you can see for youself, it's dry and sandy.., but it's not the Namib desert.., more like the outskirts of it.

I don't know if this is allowed because it's a link to another forum, but maybe read this...

http://www.geckosunlimited.com/commu...13-update.html

For leo's we believe this is the best , up to date caresheet ever made, on the first page, under basic guidelines, there's a whole lot of info on substrates and the risks involved.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the responce. I too will try to find pics of the photos that were posted on another forum whith a trip to the Middle East. I'm at a disagreement with you that they don't live on loose sand (as well as hard packed), but I don't think we're gonna get anywhere with that just yet. .

Nationality
    [United States]

OP, As far as hard packed sand goes. You can always toss in some sort of organic soil with play sand. With the right mixture they will bind together and hold very well.

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

ok i dont know where to start with this now i say yall just go full scientific on me could yall put it in terms that a 13 year old could understand and @ daniel hes only 6 inches i have read he has 3 more inches of growing to do

Thread Information