Thread: Is this normal?

Danielle01

Default Is this normal?

I'm a little worried about my pacman frog Chubbs. I got home from PetSmart bout him some new stuff and when I looked in my tank I couldn't find him turns out he burrowed in the eco earth pretty well and I took him out of his little burrow hole and put him back and I started to mist with Lukewarm water with reptisafe in the water and as soon as I did that he peed and then he started to start moving in his cage until I put his fake plants back and I have removed his fake plant before when I feed him crickets and he is fine with it but then again he is usually burrowed somewhere anyways after he peed he jumped in his water bowl and popped in it he started to start pooping when I misted him and his cage wondering if I did something wrong because I usually mist him and he is fine. Is Chubbs ok? I also fixed him up a nice hiding hut hopefully he will use it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is this normal?

Gosh, seriously..... Im getting frustrated here.

Please leave poor little guy alone, dont take him out, dont change anything unless absolutely nessesary, don't mist directly on a frog. You are stressing him out.

And yes he is fine.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Member needs to set country!

+1
    good lija i agree leave that poor frog alone and do something else like go to bed read a book or do research about him the last one would be really good

100+ Post Member

and how do you tell if hes pooping will there be a stick of poop in the water coming out of his rear

Nationality
    [United States]

Since you've only recently put him into his new forever home he needs time to adjust to the environment. What Lija means is that Pacman frogs are very lethargic. They literally do nothing all day besides finding a comfortable spot somewhere in their habitat, and digging a hole to sit in.

Because he is still new to his home, he needs time to adjust and feel comfortable. He is mostly burying himself entirely because he is scared and unaware of what his current environment is. Some Pacman do this to avoid being seen as prey for bigger predators. It's a natural self defense mechanism, they will come out when they feel the need to.

When I first got my Pacman I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get him to eat every other day because he was hiding his entire body+eyes beneath the substrate. Handling your young pacman too much causes unnecessary stress; if you feel you must absolutely feed him, just try to uncover the top portion of his body so that his eyes are level with the substrate and try to plop food an inch or two away. That way he sees food, but is not being forced by some unknown power to leave what he deems as a safe abode/hole in the ground to try and get food.

I made it a habit to check his tank every few hours and before or after I leave or get home from work to keep an idea of where my Pacman burrows. Since hes much bigger now, and more comfortable with his home, he very very rarely burrows himself entirely underneath substrate.

Edit: As for poop/peeing, it will be normal. It mostly likely peed much like a human being being spooked. Pooping in water dish is fairly normal as well. My Keropi does it on occasion, the water dish is there so that they can wash off any substrate/soak in additional water if the current substrate is not moist enough/humidity not high enough/use the bathroom. The very last part; where they use the bathroom, is the sole reason why many people advise to change the water dish daily.

100+ Post Member

wow well said i could not have said it better myself

Nationality
    [United States]

Sometimes my pacman would not eat when I uncovered him, so I just simply and gently pushed a little substrate back on top of him to cover him up, but leaving his eyes uncovered and then take the food back out. If the Pacman frog feels comfortable, they will go and get food when it gets close to their face. If a worm or cricket is literally crawling on top of their face and the frog is not reacting, they are most likely not interested, as they would've taken a bite already. (Or in my case most of the time, still trying to swallow the last one).

Danielle01

Ok thanks Lecroixe for the info and the way you answered. As for the rest ok yes I am new at caring for my pacman frog and guess what I may make a few mistakes and will learn. I appreciate everyone's advice but if you want to make me feel like a horrible pet owner in the process than don't comment at all. I joined this forum because I want to get advice from people who will help me with my questions and telling me to go to bed or read a book is rude. Don't talk to me like that. I have done tons of research and I only did that because I was worried so sorry for posting this. I thought this would be a great place to get info and learn from others but I was wrong if people are going to belittle me and if that I was people do to new pacman owners I'm just going to do my research online instead of asking for advice here. I will think twice before asking for advice again on here since people want to yell at people for asking. Maybe this isn't the best forum and if my post bothers you don't comment. Because I don't need to be yelled at. Maybe this forum isn't for me. But thank you for the advice and will continue to use it and hopefully will find a forum with information like this without hostility.

100+ Post Member

oh please dont go we are sorry and this is not what you will find here but this is a 1 time thing so can you forgive us and we do know a lot

100+ Post Member

besides we didnt know all the info on it yet so we just assumed the worst besides its just beginners stuff to do it we all have done so we dont want you to make the same mistakes we all did

Danielle01

Its ok quick update Chubbs is doing well. I didn't know I shouldn't directly mist him I do it to keep him hydrated as he dosent frequently go in his water bowl but I do keep the eco earth misted and as soon as he went to the bathroom he was his regular self and I hardly ever pick him up the last time I did was to put him in his critter carrier when I cleaned his home and I was putting new stuff in such as a new hiding hut and hydrometer and thermometer and I fed him his eight dusted crickets and he are all of them. I just wanted to add variety to his diet that is why I tried the minnows and won't be trying them again and I will try the night crawlers I tried PetSmart and they were dead and walmart is sold out so will do a search.

100+ Post Member

good job and we all are happy you stayed here because we are a family site

Nationality
    [Canada]

You can get nightcrawlers shipped to you, not sure though if they can in very hot weather, perhaps something to look into.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

A lot of people, like to talk down to others on forums. They want to feel that they are experts and everybody else is stupid. People make mistakes. This forum should be about doing what is pest for our frogs and not about being condencending. It is okay to point out mistakes in a respectful manner.
    Be the change that you want to see in the world.

Danielle01

Thanks for the advice everybody well right now I am waiting for either PetSmart or walmart to get some more in if not I may just order some from amazon. And yes I agree if I seem to be making a mistake correct me in a respectful manner if the roles were switched wouldn't you like somebody to correct you in a respectful manner versus making you feel horrible. Just something to think about to those who were rude on my post yesterday.

Thread Information