Thread: New frog owner ! Help

Bugarte

Default New frog owner ! Help

Hey guys just got
    My new Red eye tree frog I have him/her in a Exo- terra mini tall 12x12x18. With a small waterfall pet moss for substrate fake leaves on the glass so he/she can hide I mist it 3 times a day. No heat light because my animal room stays between 75-85 degrees during the day and droops down to 60-65 at night. Am I doing anything wrong ? Should I have I larger water bowl in the terrarium ? The waterfall is just big enough so the frog can fit in it not deep at all. Also question about how I feed the frog last night I threw in like 4 medium size crickets is that ok? Will it be able to find them or should I feed it in a different container or something ? Any information will help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New frog owner ! Help

Hello and congrats on your new baby! A picture of both the frog and the tank will helps us help you better. Firstly, that tank is too small for your red eye to live for a long period of time, you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank when you can. Secondly, your temps are dropping too low at night. How are you measuring your temps? I do not let the temps go below 70 on mine, use a heat pad at night to keep the temps up. How big is your new tree frog? Crickets should not be longer than the width of the space between your frog's eyes. I bowl feed mine so that I know exactly how much they are eating.

Here is a care sheet to help you figure out the details of how to care for your new friend - Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Bugarte

Thanks for the help .... I'll measure my temps the right way when I get home today and tonight I was just kinda guessing. I'll try the bowl feeding tonight how often should I feed him ? Here's some pictures of him that were just taken is that odd that he's up at this time in the afternoon ? Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404753671.251259.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  78.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404753690.484414.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  80.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404753737.304859.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  69.8 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is kind of odd but it could be stress of a new home. I would cover 3 sides of the enclosure and keep it in a quiet area to help increase his comfort level. Is it an adult? Hard to tell from pics alone. I would offer food every day while he's adjusting to his new home. Take whatever he does not eat out in the morning and put it back in the evening right before he wakes up.

Bugarte

Ok will do. Just one more question what size tank is good to house 2 or 3 of them I'm think I might want to breed later on when I know a lot more about them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will be putting my two in a 20 gallon high, that is the minimum size I would go for them and will eventually upgrade to a much taller tank. If you want two or three of them and like the exoterras, I'd go with an 18x18x24 at least.

Bugarte

Ok I'll upgrade soon. Thanks for all the help. I'll get back to you on the temps when I get home tonight

Bugarte

Hey got home and my temp gun ran out of batteries. I'll check it tomorrow when I get a new battery. The room is real hot tho I keep a heat lamp all night for my chameleon and bearded dragon and all day I have basking lights on for them and my tortoise. Anyway my frog just turned dark green and he's still sleeping is this normal ? I'm just real worried about him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They change into "hunting colors" at night. During the day, mine are a neon green, at night, they are very dark.

Bugarte

That explains it thanks so much! What about him sleeping still it's 10:30 pm it's ben dark for 3 hr in the room should I have the lights on or a dim light on ? Sorry for all the questions and again thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Keep it as dark as possible. I have heard from others on here that sometimes the red eyes will sleep a few nights straight after getting to their new home. If there is other noise and activity in the room where the tree frog is, he likely will not wake up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! Your frog could be stressed, covering sides and back of enclosure with aquarium background or any dark paper could help. Where did you sourced your frog from? It's better to quarantine them for a month before introducing them to a decorated enclosure.

See some red areas in the left feet; both front and back. You might want to keep a watch on those, specially if they spread to other feet.

Can use a glass small glass bowl semi-buried in substrate as a feeder. Half a dozen gut loaded crickets (carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal) sized as Amy stated should work OK. You need to use supplements, more info on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Bugarte

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF ! Your frog could be stressed, covering sides and back of enclosure with aquarium background or any dark paper could help. Where did you sourced your frog from? It's better to quarantine them for a month before introducing them to a decorated enclosure.

See some red areas in the left feet; both front and back. You might want to keep a watch on those, specially if they spread to other feet.

Can use a glass small glass bowl semi-buried in substrate as a feeder. Half a dozen gut loaded crickets (carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal) sized as Amy stated should work OK. You need to use supplements, more info on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. Good luck!
    I got him at reptile expo in white plans NY. He did move from the spot he was sleeping last night. I'm not sure if he had any crickets. I'll definitely cover the sides of the tank when I get home. Should I take him out of the enclosure and quarantine him ? If so how do I do that ? What do I put him in?

What are the red areas on his foot ? Should I be concerned?

I put a glass bowl of crickets on last night really small ones I put in about a dozen of the with calcium with D3. When I took the bowl out this morning there were 4-5 missing not sure if he had them or if they got out the bowl and were hiding in the substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mine are in a 10 gallon tank with paper towels lining it (change daily,) food bowls, a water dish (change daily,) and a couple of faux leaves hanging from the screen top. Makes it easy to see exactly how much they've eaten and pooped. Plus, of something ends up being wrong, a fungal infection, parasites, etc, you do not have to rip apart and entire decorated viv to disinfect.

Good catch on the feet, Carlos, I didn't notice that. Bugarte, if you look at the picture you posted, 2 of the feet have red spots on them.

Bugarte

LilyPad, I did notice that do u have any idea what it is ? And as soon as I get home I'm going to transfer the frog into a new and more stress free tank. Prob something exactly like u just described.

Should I leave the food bowl out during the day or should I take it out and place it back in at night when he's going to hunt ?

Thread Information