Thread: New here... First time Tree Frog owner

J Enn Boss

Question New here... First time Tree Frog owner

Hey everyone, my name is Jenn Boss. My 7 years old daughter is actually an "owner" of her Tree Frog but guess who is actually taking care of it? This momma, ha.. Please excuse me for any grammar errors as English is not my first language, American Sign Language is. So, what made my daughter decide to own a Tree frog is that her father a big frog fan, he had a tank that he left behind and his mom gave it to my daughter. He has passed about two years ago. He had fire bellied frogs at that time, my daughter choose a tree frog. I have no clue of how to take care of them so what we have so far is heat lamp and bulbs for day and night, coconut fibers, water rock bowl, fake tree branch and hanging tree branch. I have rinsed everything and use water conditioner. I also have water spray. Of course I have some crickets for Angel (my daughter named her frog). i think that's everything?

I cant any seem to raise humidity and my temperature seems to stay in 60-70 range and I know it's ok for night but not for the day. What am I doing wrong? I spray water in a lot trying to raise the humid...

Angel is is turning little light green and have brown on the head. That's all I know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New here... First time Tree Frog owner

Welcome to the forum! Do you have pic, so we know what tree frog we are talking about, different species might need different care. And well we just love pics too congrats on your new frog.

As far as humidity goes, just cover part of your screen top with aluminium foil, usually 3/4 of a top is good enough to keep humidity at 70-80, but then again depending on a species of a frog you might not need this much.

P.s. Yep, that is moms job to take care of whatever kids are having lol that is why i love my daughters tarantula, close to no care is needed
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

J Enn Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have pic, so we know what tree frog we are talking about, different species might need different care. And well we just love pics too congrats on your new frog.

As far as humidity goes, just cover part of your screen top with aluminium foil, usually 3/4 of a top is good enough to keep humidity at 70-80, but then again depending on a species of a frog you might not need this much.

P.s. Yep, that is moms job to take care of whatever kids are having lol that is why i love my daughters tarantula, close to no care is needed
    Ok, I understand how to attach. This picture was from when I brought Angel home. I will take better and closer picture when I can Name:  image.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  80.8 KB

Miralith

Hyla Cinerea, I just released one that I had captured for a day or so in order to take photos of. Awesome little guys.

Best temps for him is about 76-78 degrees, humidity levels usually range around 70-80% if you look it up it says between 60-80, but where I live, the only time it drops below that is during winter and late fall.

I hope your daughter enjoys the frog My four year old is going to go insane when she finds out that we just adopted a Red eyed tree frog, I'm excited to see the look on her face when she returns from her dads.

7. This member thanks Miralith for this post:

J Enn Boss

Tarantula.. You are brave

Nationality
    [Canada]

Tarantulas are pretty awesome actually once you get to know them i got one for myself too, once i got over the fact my youngest got hers lol

anyhow for your frog, yes it is an american green frog, you need to cover 3 sides of your enclosure to minimize stress levels and add more plants, it is after all a tree frog, it needs a tree with leaves or anything as close as possible. Your substrate looks very dry, it should be wet but not mud like.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

J Enn Boss

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  113.3 KB Ok, so more plants. The ground is very wet now I figured out that I was supposed to wet up the coconut fiber oops so got that covered but I'll need more plants to cover. Thank you! I hope Angel will be ok until tomorrow.. It's too late to go shopping and get the stuff.

Nationality
    [Canada]

He sure will be ok and get. A background to cover 3 sides of a tank, fish background works nice or your daughter can draw herself, will be special kinda forest then angel wont care what is that as long as it is not see though like a glass.

12. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I use a towel folded over and placed across teh top of the tank to maintain humidity. It works REALLY WELL. Actually, it worked too well when I first started keeping frogs, lol. I had to adjust the amount of coverage to about 2/3 of the top of the exo-terra and now it is perfect! It keeps in the heat and moisture, but it also allows for the excess moisture to evaporate. Since I have no need for a heat lamp, the towel is safe to use with out fear of it catching fire. Good luck with your new baby! She is a cutie! Best Wishes; MsBlueRose

14. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Agree with others it's a Green Tree Frog, Hyla cinerea. Tree frogs in general prefer taller than longer tanks with good ventilation. They do not require very high humidity levels because of their off ground lifestyle. You can read about them in link attached to name. Also, here is some care information: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...a-cinerea.html.

In general terms, you can gut loaded crickets with carrots, lettuce, and cherio cereal. Feed insects sized same as distance between frog eyes to avoid impaction. Need to use supplements, more info on that in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Bath water should be dechlorinated tap cleaned daily. You can use distilled water for misting; but avoid spraying frog. The substrate should be mixed with treated tap until slightly damp and clumps in fist; but does not drip water out. Regular misting will prevent it from drying. Try not to make it wet; it will breed bacteria and turn into a bog.

If going with artificial plants; hanging silk ones (come with suction cups to attach to glass) will work fine. Already got info on covering 3 sides, that is important to reduce stress. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

16. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

J Enn Boss

Angel seems to be doing much better. Turning more light green now. I haven't gotten to branch thing yet but I covered 3 sides and add foil to the top. It's warmer in there and Angel seems happier. I hope so! Thank you all for helping me.

Thread Information