Thread: Help-Injured toad

sburtch

Default Help-Injured toad

I found a young toad apparently hit by a car and lying in the street in its own blood. The toad was bleeding from the back internally (that has now gone away) and the leg was exposed to the muscle on one side.(still there...I would have thought he would have formed new skin by now a week later). i took it home assuming it was going to die in a day. It is going on a week later and it is still alive and moving. I have been putting neosporin without pain killer on the leg and using spring water for its water bowl. He won't eat and I don't want to force him because there could be something wrong digestively. I don't see poop or anything. His foot on that side used to be ok, now it is looking red almost like the leg that is exposed and I don't see a reason for him injuring it. I hope this isn't red leg...I don't know. Does anyone know of any antibiotics I can buy at the pet store as in fish antibiotics I can soak him in? I can't afford to take him to the vet as these vets charge like 150.00 and I have my own animals. I was going to take him to a wildlife center rehab but I figure they will immediately put him down right away. I was kind of hoping if he made it a week maybe he can make it. I would feel bad if they put him down when he could have possibly made it. I guess i am dreaming though. I am pretty sure he will develop an infection no matter how much neosporin I use. I just don't want to see him convulsing or suffering in the end. What do you recommend I do? take him to the wild life center to be put down or try some antibiotics?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you have a photo of him and his wound? The red area?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help-Injured toad

Hello and welcome to FF! I'm very sorry for the toad's bad luck . Well, from your description appears that not only the leg; but maybe internal organs where involved in damage. In that case it would be impossible to diagnose without a veterinary and some x-rays. A darker reddening accompanied by swelling or blackening of leg muscles is very bad news. Will wait for pics Heather requested and see if there's anything we can do, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

If he starts to look like he's declining, have some baby Oragel on hand. It's a peaceful way of relieving their pain and putting him to sleep. You just put a good amount on his belly.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Default Re: Help-Injured toad

Thanks for the tip, Heather. It's nice to know.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's a good thing for the froggy medicine kit. How's he looking today?

Thread Information