Thread: First white's tree frog... help!

autumndee28

Exclamation First white's tree frog... help!

Hello, my white's tree frog had a scraped up nose when i had first gotten her and it seems to be getting worse. She was brought home on 6/26/14 with all needed supplies, in the pet store she was in a tall terrarium with 2 other white's, 2 day geckos, and 1 crested gecko. I have attached a picture of the wound and a picture of her enclosure as well (not sure which order they are in). The enclosure is a exo terra 12x12x12 tank, she has a 25 watt heat bulb only on during the day (no evening bulb), her humidity is usually between 60-85% with temp around 75 (give or take) with a drop of a few degrees in the evening. she is the only frog in her tank, when we first got her home she ate and seemed ok, she enjoys coming out at night to soak and burrows in the day. Her day/night shifts are 8am-8pm: day 8pm-8am: night. Substrate used is a layer of Eco Earth and on top of that a layer of moss (all living things: green moss). She has a live plant (vining the bendy bark thing) which I do believe is the house plant Philodendron, a wood stick (not driftwood but a heavy wood), and a foam bendy bark climb. Her water is changed daily and she is misted up to 3 times a day (never tap water), she is offered crickets as well when we notice she has eaten them. The crickets are a little larger than the last batch so we notice she doesn't eat as many as she did before. She is only offered crickets and has been offered grubs but she did not eat them. She has pooped once since being home and it was normal looking. We clean out any dead crickets or poop when we see it which is usually daily along with the other daily routines. Her age is unknown, if someone could estimate one for me that would be great! I know she is most likely a bit older she is about 2-3 inches long. I have handled her a few times to make sure she doesn't have other sores, I spray my hands down with her misting water before touching her and anyone else who has touched her has done the same. She sits in our living room so she usually just hears the tv and the family talking, our other pets are small critters (a gerbil and a parakeet) who do not make much noise. I have not attempted to give her any sort of medication or treatment for her nose as I don't want to hurt her because I am unsure what to do and how to do it! If anything is off about her enclosure and environment feel free to correct me as she is the first frog I have owned and it is all based on research and the pet stores advice! Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First white's tree frog... help!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a frog!

I will be back on in depth answer later unless someone will cover it sooner, her tank is very very tiny for her and moss is very bad - high impaction risk, especially if she hunts on her own.

in short - you need a hospital set up with wet papertowels, get fecal exam done. For a nose rub the best is to use flamazine (2 -3 times a day), you can also use original polisporin, neosporin or similar without painkillers, just read the ingredients to make sure there are absolutely none painkillers. Hospital set up is needed to ensure cleanliness as well as monitor pooping. Make sure there are silk or plastic plants are present and all walls are coveted with something to minimize stress levels. If nose rub is getting worse or not healing you need a vet to get systemic antibiotics.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information