Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me am stupid

Kurt

Default Me am stupid

Tonight, I bought an Indonesian flying frog. I was going to buy two, but the rest were all under weight. Wasn't sure what an Indonesian flying frog was so I opened the cage (they let me do that where I go) and checked them out. What I found was what I believe to be Rhacophorus reinwardtii, a frog I know as the blue-webbed flying frog. A frog that has been on my wish list for a while now.
    Like I said I was going to buy two, but the rest were underweight, so I only got the one. I had them feed him before I bought it and he ate, no problem. I am hoping he is healthy. I will treat him with metronidazole tonight. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...us+reinwardtii

Also just got an e-mail letting me know that my cave salamanders, Eurycea lucifuga have shipped. Whoo hoo!
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...rycea+lucifuga

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pillipala

Default Re: Me am stupid

that flying frog is pretty
    love it's feet

and as for the salamander...haha!
    i was going to get an axolotl a while back, you know, the larval stage of a salamander. But decided to save up for frogs instead.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's quite an attractive treefrog. Good luck with him Kurt. Have you ever kept Plethodontid salamanders before? They can be delicate.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That's quite an attractive treefrog. Good luck with him Kurt. Have you ever kept Plethodontid salamanders before? They can be delicate.
    Tell me about it. I had a Bolitoglossa dofleini. It dropped its tail that first night whilst I was sleeping. My vet did a fecal on the salamander and found some nasty parasites. So he put the salamander on a daily drug given orally. After ten days of this the salamander dropped dead. That sucked because that was a very cool salamander. Not very colourful but it had the fastest tongue in the west, and the coolest hands and feet.
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...lossa+dofleini

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by pillipala View Post
    I was going to get an axolotl a while back, you know, the larval stage of a salamander.
    Actually, most axolotl never morph to an adult stage. Also axolotl's are a definite species, Ambystoma mexicanum.

Kurt

Updates on the progress of the cave salamanders. The seller shipped them Tuesday afternoon and gave me the tracking number. They made it to Gainesville, then into Jacksonville. Last recorded check in was a 12:34 AM Wednesday morning in Jacksonville. So the best I can figure is that they are still in Florida, even though they were supposed to be here yesterday after noon. They are now 24 hours late. I am worried when they finally show they will be dead and well on they're way to decomposition. All inquiries within the post office have brought no new info, only anger and frustration. Needless to say I am bull**** and want to tear someone a new one. This is totally unacceptable, no animal should have to suffer because of some *******'s incompetence.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Updates on the progress of the cave salamanders. The seller shipped them Tuesday afternoon and gave me the tracking number. They made it to Gainesville, then into Jacksonville. Last recorded check in was a 12:34 AM Wednesday morning in Jacksonville. So the best I can figure is that they are still in Florida, even though they were supposed to be here yesterday after noon. They are now 24 hours late. I am worried when they finally show they will be dead and well on they're way to decomposition. All inquiries within the post office have brought no new info, only anger and frustration. Needless to say I am bull**** and want to tear someone a new one. This is totally unacceptable, no animal should have to suffer because of some *******'s incompetence.
    Oh my *******god! I really hope they arrive ok, Kurt. I totally agree, no animal should have to suffer because of some *******'s incompetance! Will you be able to get a refund if they arrive dead(hopefully they're not dead)? I would rip them a new one or two.
    BTW, those are nice treefrogs, Kurt. Great find, and hopefully it does well for you

Kurt

Thanks. The problem is who can I tear apart? Chances are the responsible party will never have to deal with the consequences of his or her incompetence. The seller says not to worry, that I will be taken cared of.

Rhacophorus reinwardtii are indeed a beautiful frog, as a few others in the genus. Check out these relatives -

Rhacophorus nigropalmatus
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...+nigropalmatus
    Rhacophorus kio
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...hacophorus+kio
    Rhacophorus pardalis
    http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...horus+pardalis

Billy

No problem. Atleast the seller will compensate you. Those are such awesome frogs, you are gonna make me drool! I think my fave would be R. pardalis

Kurt

Yeah pardalis is a beautiful frog.

Billy

Yeah pardalis is a beautiful frog.
    Speaking of beautiful, have you seen pics of B. pardalis(leopard toad)? I know you like Bufonids, and this is one I have on my hit list. Check it out

Kurt

Yeah I familar with them. They are in one of my field guides, Amphibians of Central and Southern Africa by Alan Channing. I also like pantherinus, the western leopard toad. Trouble is with having all these books is that I fall in love with frogs that I may never get to see, never mind have.

Billy

Yeah I familar with them. They are in one of my field guides, Amphibians of Central and Southern Africa by Alan Channing. I also like pantherinus, the western leopard toad. Trouble is with having all these books is that I fall in love with frogs that I may never get to see, never mind have.
    Same here. pantherinus is also on my list, but probly won't be able to get 98% of my list. Makes me sad, but I just dote on the ones I have even more.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Given the climate in the states through which they have to travel, I think you can write them off as dead at this point. It's a shame and it's why I despise commercial collection. Oh well.

Kurt

I hear ya, the weather has been perfect for a salamander shipment, but it won't stay that way. Of course this could've easily happened to a captive bred animal.

Kurt

Well, I have good news to report. The salamanders have finally arrived and they appear to be quite healthy. And they are a little bit bigger than I was expecting. They are so cool!

So I guess I won't have to kill someone after all.

Kerry1968

Pleased to hear that Kurt! Photos?

Kurt

Thanks, but sadly no on the photos. I don't have a digital camera except for the one in my cell phone and it isn't very good.

Kerry1968

Aaah OK, you're forgiven

Hope they settle in OK, bet you had a big grin on your face when they arrived, AND alive!

Kurt

The grin didn't come till I discovered them alive. My first look at them I thought they looked OK, then I opened the dehli cups they were in and discovered that they were more than OK. Man, can they move fast. I have never seen a salamander move that fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information