Thread: Dart Frogs (ranitomeya imitator) FS at Stores in Orange County, California?

Mike5401

Question Dart Frogs (ranitomeya imitator) FS at Stores in Orange County, California?

Hi Guy's,

I'm new here my name is Mike. I've been in the tropical fish hobby for over 24 years, having everything for Freshwater Discus to Saltwater Reef tanks.

I've always liked Dart Frogs but never really got into them because of the Tropical Fish, but now that I left that hobby I wanted to learn more about Thumbnail Dart Frogs, specifically Ranitomeya Imitator as I've read that these are good Thumbnails for beginners, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to learn more and hopefully see these frogs in person before I decide if these are right for me and my wallet.

I wanted to know if anybody knows of any good shops in the Whittier/Orange County area of California? I'd really like to check these out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dart Frogs (ranitomeya imitator) FS at Stores in Orange County, California?

Hello and welcome to FF Mike ! Imi's are good darts for beginners and that's what I'm starting with. Recommend an 18x18x24 in. tall enclosure and also to read this article: Frog Forum - Imitating Dart Frog, Ranitomeya imitator / Dendrobates imitator (Schulte, 1986) - Care and Breeding. Make sure you make enclosure escape proof and watch door when working with them inside, they are escape artists .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Default Dart Frogs (ranitomeya imitator) FS at Stores in Orange County, California?

Imitators are excellent beginner thumbnails, but, as Carlos mentioned, and speaking from experience, they ARE excellent escape artists. I lost my pair through a 1/4" gap in the tank. It does not take much.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Mike5401

Default Re: Dart Frogs (ranitomeya imitator) FS at Stores in Orange County, California?

Thanks guy's, much appreciated!

I'm very limited in the space I have in my room, so I had been looking at the Exo Terra 8x8x12in. Tall for a pair of Imitator's but I'm guessing that's not big enough?

Yeah all I've been reading is about making sure that can't get out anywhere, wouldn't want to lose these guy's.

Anyone know of a place in the Los Angeles or Orange County area that might carry these? I would really like to check these out in person.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Information