Thread: Odd question about pheromones?

WabbaJack

Question Odd question about pheromones?

My boyfriends cat is a little "you know what" disturber, so his vet recommended we try something called Feliway. It looks like a glade plug in and it's cat pheromones to calm him down essentially. We are supposed to put it in a room where the cat mostly stays. This happens to be the same room our froggies are in. And it would be a huge hassle to move both terrariums, the stand, the lights, the timer (etc.) (but if I have to I will). ANYWHO
    My question is:
    Will these cat pheromones disturb my frogs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Odd question about pheromones?

I have a cat with anxiety and a blind cat. We have feliway plugs in every room of the house. I have never noticed any issues with it with my frogs.

I'm not sure how it will prevent her from disturbing "you know what" though, unless maybe she's anxious when you're "busy"?. It was a godsend helping reduce anxiety in my old kitty (he would get anxiety induced bladder infections!) And I can always tell when they're going empty. Also, feliway makes a spray that you can use as a "boost" when you need it.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

WabbaJack

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I have a cat with anxiety and a blind cat. We have feliway plugs in every room of the house. I have never noticed any issues with it with my frogs.

I'm not sure how it will prevent her from disturbing "you know what" though, unless maybe she's anxious when you're "busy"?. It was a godsend helping reduce anxiety in my old kitty (he would get anxiety induced bladder infections!) And I can always tell when they're going empty. Also, feliway makes a spray that you can use as a "boost" when you need it.

Thanks for the quick response! His cat just wakes up constantly, all hours of the night, and meows and howls and runs across the room/house and just goes bonkers. Ugh :P THanks though!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

We had an old lady cat, who passed away last year, that would do that. Drove us nuts. Feliway calmed her down a little, but not much. She was pretty senile at the end though and had to be separated from the other cats. Our poor blind kitty was so terrified of her, he'd start hissing just smelling her on us.

Our cats do tend to roughhouse at night though, that's pretty normal. Have you considered getting her a kitty friend? Her crying may be looking for a friend to play with. You can also wear her out in the evening before bed, play with her until she's panting, she won't have energy to make mischief at night then. A lot of cats misbehave or drive their family nutso because they have built up energy.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

WabbaJack

I am trying to convince my boyfriend to get his cat another cat friend. We've tried everything (besides that). We've tried playing with him and everything. Gonna try this feliway stuff, if not I'll keep begging for another kitty friend :P

Thread Information