Thread: Maroxy v. Stress Coat?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Maroxy v. Stress Coat?

My ACF has been going through what seemed like a bad shed for a little over a month. Until today, she's been completely normal aside from the constant flow of shed skin. She's chubby, eating like a pig, no skin/eye discoloration, etc.

This evening, however, I noticed that there is a patch on her back a little less than an inch long that is whitish and almost a little fuzzy. Then, I noticed what looks like partially-shed skin hanging off of the area. It's mainly transparent like normal, but it's imprinted with her spotted skin pattern--something I haven't seen before.

I researched what it could be, and the main results seem to be either fungal or bacterial infection (ironically, I just cleaned her gunky filter out about two weeks ago). The suggested treatment is a large water change (obviously), some aquarium salt (about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons), and Maroxy or Stress Coat. The sources I've seem evenly divided on which medicine to use, so I thought I'd ask the hobbyists here.

Long story short, if anybody has experience with treating infections with either Maroxy or Stress Coat (or both!) I would appreciate hearing about how it worked.
    Other treatment recommendations are also very welcome! Thanks for reading.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Maroxy v. Stress Coat?

Did you clean the filter media in tank water or in tap? Did you replace all filter media at same time? If either of those questions answers is yes; you accidentally wiped out the filter's ammonia/nitrite reducing bacteria and it's biological capabilities. It will take up to a month for system to recover and in the meantime, your frog is exposed to toxic ammonia/nitrite and might be suffering from it.

If the above is an issue; treating with meds will only provide temporary relief until ammonia/nitrite levels are zero again. You can test water for ammonia/nitrites if have kits or take a water sample in clean bag to local pet shop; most will test for free. If either is present tell us the results and start doing 25% daily water changes until levels reach zero. Then you can resume weekly 25% water changes and clean the filter media in tank water removed during water change.

A bit of salt as stated is OK for treating minor infections. Myself have not used Maroxy and I'm not even sure if it's still available. Mardel was bought by large pet conglomerate and many of it's great products (i.e. Maracyn Plus) where discontinued. Stress coat is not going to eliminate an ongoing pathogen attack and the binders in it can actually harm your frog.

My recommendation is to take care of ammonia/nitrite issue if required. Get at pet shop's aquarium section some Melafix and Pimafix. You can use both treatments at the same time. Mix them according to label directions and treat your frog for a week. Hope this helps and keep us informed of frog progress, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by jlfrogfan View Post
    My ACF has been going through what seemed like a bad shed for a little over a month. Until today, she's been completely normal aside from the constant flow of shed skin.

This evening, however, I noticed that there is a patch on her back a little less than an inch long that is whitish and almost a little fuzzy. Then, I noticed what looks like partially-shed skin hanging off of the area. It's mainly transparent like normal, but it's imprinted with her spotted skin pattern--something I haven't seen before.
    The symptoms you've described suggest the possibility a parasitic (nematode) infestation. Try gently stroking the frog's back to feel whether the texture of the skin is smooth as it should be or whether it feels rough to the touch. If the latter, it's possibly nematodes. Here's a link: Wasting disease associated with cutaneous a... [Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you both very much, for your replies! Carlos, the closest pet shop to me is a PetSmart, so I will bring some test water there. I prefer the smaller shops, but I suppose it will have to do. I used a little tap water to clean the filter, but I left the tank water untouched as the tank itself had been established for a while.

Geoff--that article looks promising, too. However, it seems I'm not allowed to read the full text (which likely entails treatment) unless I buy a subscription to an online library. Do you know how to administer the ivermectin?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Geoff--that article looks promising, too. However, it seems I'm not allowed to read the full text (which likely entails treatment) unless I buy a subscription to an online library. Do you know how to administer the ivermectin?
    No I don't and, personally, I wouldn't attempt it. In my opinion, it's not a good idea to administer any medication without first seeking veterinary advice. Medications invariably have side effects that could adversely affect the animal if administered inappropriately.

You've not clarified whether the frog's skin feels rough and granular when you stroke it. Assuming that it is, I'll explain what I did when I experienced this problem.

I had two black, plastic 3-gallon buckets with just enough fresh (dechlorinated) water so that the frog could stand on its hind legs with its nostrils protruding through the water surface. I transferred the frog to one of the buckets making sure my hands were thoroughly clean before and after the transfer then put a cover over the bucket so that the frog was left in darkness and peace. After 24 hours or so, I transferred it to the other bucket after first stroking away any loose skin still hanging from the frog. The original bucket was then cleaned out and refilled ready for the following day. I repeated this every 24 hours until the frog's skin was smooth again - usually after just a few days.

Removing and disposing of the shed skin seemed to get rid of the condition although it was only ever a means of control rather than total eradication because it did recur, although not until after several months. When it did, I just repeated the treatment I've described and they were good to go again.

I can't remember why, but although I had access to Ivermectin I had serious doubts at the time that it would be any more effective as a long-term cure than the fresh water treatment I'd used.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Geoff, I apologize about the skin clarification. I'm not with the frog right now, but will conduct that test later today.
    Until then, here are two pictures of the area in question. The first picture is from last night, and the second one is from this morning. Something interesting to note in the second image is the little white dots--maybe some Ich taking advantage of injured tissue?
    If the pictures do not appear, please let me know!
    Name:  FI1.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  77.4 KBName:  FI2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  73.0 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

... Something interesting to note in the second image is the little white dots--maybe some Ich taking advantage of injured tissue?
    If the pictures do not appear, please let me know!
    That is not an Ichthyophthirius cyst. Could be the nematodes parasites Geoff has mentioned. If so, recommend taking frog to veterinary in order to obtain a correct dosage prescription for treatment. In lieu of that; you could try the temporary fix Geoff described.

Both metronidazole and levamisol have been used against nematodes; but correct dosage and treatment duration are important, because applied wrongly, they can do more damage than good. There are other anti-nematode medications to treat fish aquariums; but I have not used them with frogs yet.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

The first picture is from last night, and the second one is from this morning. Something interesting to note in the second image is the little white dots--maybe some Ich taking advantage of injured tissue?

Name:  FI1.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  77.4 KBName:  FI2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  73.0 KB
    The only thing I can add is that the skin hanging from your frog, in the second picture especially, is consistent with what I'd imagined from your original description. I don't know what the white spots are.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi everyone, here is an update. My water came out too high in nitrates, and pH was unexpectedly low. I am proceeding with the daily 25-30 percent water changes, got some Pima fix, and am looking around the house for some extra clean buckets. Hopefully, nematodes aren't the ones to blame here.

Thread Information