Thread: New Pacman Owner: Couple of Questions/Concerns!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Willett 1992

Question New Pacman Owner: Couple of Questions/Concerns!

Hey guys, after having a long history with exotic mammals and birds I have started my journey through exotic reptiles and amphibians/inverts! I just recently after attending Repitday Norfolk VA took in a Albino 4-Spot Patternless Pacman Frog! I have him in an exo-terra 18x18x12 terrarium with the vented/mesh top. He currently has two live plants, (Peace lily and something else)and a shallow water dish. He has a natural half log, and about 2 1/2 inches of eco-earth. For heat I have a 5-10 gal heat pad placed on the lower back corner of the terrarium, (Not the bottom).

Currently, he maintains 72-76 degrees, and fluctuates between 50-80% humidity.

My main questions are:
    1.) How to better maintain humidity rather than misting 5+ times a day?
    2.) Should I make the temperature warmer? If so, are natural red or blue lights appropriate?
    3.) His setup is in a room with lots of windows, he does not get very much direct sunlight, but is the brightness acceptable?
    4.) What other plants are acceptable for them?
    5.) Lastly, any tips or things I didn't mention here to ensure a long/healthy life?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pacman Owner: Couple of Questions/Concerns!

Welcome on congrats on your new addition! I do not have experience with pacmans buy plenty of people here do and should be very helpful!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Willett 1992 View Post
    Hey guys, after having a long history with exotic mammals and birds I have started my journey through exotic reptiles and amphibians/inverts! I just recently after attending Repitday Norfolk VA took in a Albino 4-Spot Patternless Pacman Frog! I have him in an exo-terra 18x18x12 terrarium with the vented/mesh top. He currently has two live plants, (Peace lily and something else)and a shallow water dish. He has a natural half log, and about 2 1/2 inches of eco-earth. For heat I have a 5-10 gal heat pad placed on the lower back corner of the terrarium, (Not the bottom).

Currently, he maintains 72-76 degrees, and fluctuates between 50-80% humidity.

My main questions are:
    1.) How to better maintain humidity rather than misting 5+ times a day?
    2.) Should I make the temperature warmer? If so, are natural red or blue lights appropriate?
    3.) His setup is in a room with lots of windows, he does not get very much direct sunlight, but is the brightness acceptable?
    4.) What other plants are acceptable for them?
    5.) Lastly, any tips or things I didn't mention here to ensure a long/healthy life?

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new frog! It is exciting!
    How big is a frog, your tank might be too big.

your temps are way too low, it should be 76-78 night, 80-82 day.

1. Get a fogger plug it into hydroterm and it will keep humidity and temps spot on at any given moment.
    2. Answered above. You can get infrared lamp (50w) and plug it into hydroterm.
    3. He is albino, he can tolerate only dim light, never anything with UVB.
    4. Plastic or silk everything else wont work, you will need to rib everything apart, change substrate every month, so if you do live plants they better be in pots.
    5. You are very welcome to post pictures

check care sheet here on a forum, it is very good. Make sure you feed your frog properly and use supplements
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! When and where was that "Repti Day" in Norfolk? Guess I missed it . Lija gave you some good tips; here is what I would do in your case.

Humidity and temperature - Both of these will hugely benefit from closing most of the enclosure's screen venting. I do this with aluminum foil. Depending on your fixture and top, you can either place the fixture in the uncovered 1/2 (ExoTerra or Zoo Med enclosures and similar); or if a full screen top, can do following.

Place your fixture on top of fully covered screen top, and using a marker, draw a line around it's perimeter on foil. A scissor will work well to cut the marked out hole; just make it larger by around an inch. With restricted evaporation, a couple day misting's should help keep humidity around target (70-80%). Once connected you can use the built in dimmer to adjust the heat output. If you already have a light fixture; will need to add a manual (rheostat) or automatic (thermostat) controller to it.

Temp need to go up as stated by Lija. You can't use blue or daylight type bulbs with an albino. My recommendation is to use a 60W ceramic heat emitter in a dimmer type dome like Fluker's makes. In absence of that, you can also use a red bulb 24 hours a day with no issues. If the 60W CHE is not enough to bring the enclosure to 82F during day with a couple degree drop at night; will need to supplement heat with a side attached heating pad or similar. You need to correct this ASAP since low temps will cause permanent damage to your frog's kidney and lymph hearts.

Indirect window light is more than sufficient as long as the sun does not reach the enclosure directly. Plants are a matter of decor choice as long as frog has something to feel safe. Most Pacmans will trample and kill fragile plants.

Feeding & supplements - Crickets should be sized smaller than the distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal 24-48 hours before feeding frog. Best food are not dyed night crawlers available from Walmart or local bait shops. Depending on your frog size you can cut them from pointy end into mouth size pieces for babies, body length for 2 to 3 in. juvies, and full size for larger frogs. More info on supplements in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Lija mentioned enclosure size to frog size ratio and that is important too. A too large enclosure will stress a baby Pacman. How long is your's from snout to vent? Lot's more info on Pacman care in here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Helios

Just to offer another opinion on heat as well: A heat pad mounted on the outside of the cage, so that it spans a depth partially below the substrate up the rear wall will also prove effective in generating the heat you need. Like Carlos mentioned: Don't use any UV bulbs. I prefer not using bulb heat at all with pacmans as it tends to be more intense heat beating down instead of radiating through the tank.
    I'd also suggest an extra inch of eco-earth. If you keep it plenty moist the increased depth will boost humidity, and make sure the frog has more space to cool down if it desires.
    Congrats on your new frog!

Thread Information