Thread: It's been awhile again!

secuono

Question It's been awhile again!

Hello all!
    An annoying chain of events is leading me back to frogs after yet another few years gap away.

I'm attempting to find some wee little tree frogs, but only toads visit my koi pond, yuk!! Our pool has been down for 2 years, trying to think up another way to lure them in to lay eggs and get new babies. Anyone have ideas?

I down graded from a 110 tall to a store bought new 75g. Bought a CL 75 and it has chips, sitting outside now. Bought another CL 75, it might have a leak...GAHH!!

DH told me to give up and just stick frogs in them. I don't want t give up on another 75!!! But by now, I've spent the same amount of $ on these two junk tanks that a new one costs!! I'm furious with myself, really.

Looking over my old pictures and frog setup, I'm really wanting to turn one into a tank for the frogs!

I have a few questions though.
    Should I turn the 75g on it's short side and have a 4ft tall tank? Or should I leave it sitting on it's base and have a 4ft long and low tank? This is something I just can't decide on! I love having all the plants in there, but I'm thinking that the vertical version would be better for the frogs. But the thought of all that vertical wood and little green is really putting me off!

Can someone show me their large, vertical setups?

Has technology changed any in frog keeping? Do we still use red or ceramic heating elements? Powder calcium on food, UVB lighting?

If I cannot catch any, where is a good, reputable place online to buy young gray/copes tree frogs from?
    The local shop moved and drastically downsized, they are no longer a store worth visiting and have nearly nothing to offer other than feed/supplies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: It's been awhile again!

Welcome back! If you're into DIY, a 75 tank converted high would be both perfect and awesome, especially for tree frogs. The base of the tank really only needs to be at least 18x18, and a 75 works for that, and it has a 48" vertical! I'm no expert, but for the leaks, I would just say using a razor to cut away all silicone on the edges and re-silicone it with aquarium grade silicone that you can buy at an aquarium store or online. Much cheaper than buying another tank, right? If you search the threads, you should be able to find some people who have documented how they converted their tank. Usually you can just do a 6" piece of plexiglass or acrylic on the bottom in the front for substrate and drainage layer, and then a custom screen door for the rest of the front, as tree frogs like ventilation. You can either do fake plants and vines, or a natural vivarium, just on what you prefer. For heating, red heaters are a no-no, as people have experienced frogs being able to see the red light and hiding at night as a result. Ceramics are fine, as well as side mounted UTHs. For grey tree frogs, though, you shouldn't need to heat that much, as they only need about 75 degrees at day and 70-72 at night. For supplements, calcium powder and a multi-vitamin powder are a must for all frogs. These can be found at pet stores usually, or can be ordered at joshsfrogs.com or neherpetoculture.com, and other websites. I know Repashy brand is preferred, but rep-cal is acceptable. UVB is more of a luxury in my and many other's opinions, and can add to coloring, but isn't required. I believe that compact UVBs also can damage the eye, and only long fluorescent and mercury vapor bulbs are acceptable. For the frogs, you can buy some from BackwaterReptiles.com for about $10 apiece. If I were you, I would sell the chipped tank on craigslist, people will still use it for reptiles. As for a vertical tank, mine isn't the best, but should give you a shrewd idea of what a vert-converted tank and door look like:

Here's a blurry shot of the conversion kit placed on (got it at blackjungle.net)

Sorry for typing so much, but hopes it helps. Once again, welcome back!

secuono

Thanks

blackjungle.net doesn't work, Google it and I get
    http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com.

I was going to use the chipped tank for the frogs. The one with the magical leak I'm still holding out hope for it to dry up and just be condensation. =)

I only like real plants, but I have a feeling they will be tricky to grow with the light 4ft away from them. :/

Holy cow on the $40 shipping! Where are they based? Would 2 day not work?

Oh, I used the red heat lamps, the frogs all gathered under it on colder days. We don't keep our house at 75, sometimes we heat, sometimes we don't. So I'd need a heat lamp either way and turn it off during summer, but it'd be on all winter. Can it face through the glass, or will that just heat the glass too much for them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Whoops! Sorry, I meant junglebox.net, sorry confused between the two websites. Blackjungle is good for general supplies just like the other two sites. Both joshfrogs.com and neherpetoculture.net have good shipping costs, thought neherp has it slightly cheaper. junglebox.net is located in California, but shipping isn't too bad. They don't sell conversion kits for 75 gallon, just 10 and 20H size tanks. For plants I would go with neherp, just for shipping, but joshsfrogs has a larger selection. For heating, like I said, I would go with a medium to large UTH (under tank heater) placed on the side of the tank. Also, you shouldn't have to worry too much about heating the glass. They ususally don't get above 100 degrees. For lighting, I would recommend getting a fluorescent tube light fixture from the hardware store, and then using a T5 HO (High output) bulb. These should be able to give the plants adequate light; plus, you just have to plant in the right spot, with high light plants being placed higher up and in the open, and shaded plants being placed in the shade (obviously). I would highly recommend converting the 75 gallon on its side, or else buying an 18x18x24 exo terra, so as to let the frogs utilize that vertical space. DIY is so fun, and you really feel like you've put a lot into it when you're done. Hope it works out for you. Just send any more questions, and I or other more experienced people can help you out.

Default It's been awhile again!

Quote Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
    Whoops! Sorry, I meant junglebox.net, sorry confused between the two websites. Blackjungle is good for general supplies just like the other two sites. Both joshfrogs.com and neherpetoculture.net have good shipping costs, thought neherp has it slightly cheaper. junglebox.net is located in California, but shipping isn't too bad. They don't sell conversion kits for 75 gallon, just 10 and 20H size tanks. For plants I would go with neherp, just for shipping, but joshsfrogs has a larger selection. For heating, like I said, I would go with a medium to large UTH (under tank heater) placed on the side of the tank. Also, you shouldn't have to worry too much about heating the glass. They ususally don't get above 100 degrees. For lighting, I would recommend getting a fluorescent tube light fixture from the hardware store, and then using a T5 HO (High output) bulb. These should be able to give the plants adequate light; plus, you just have to plant in the right spot, with high light plants being placed higher up and in the open, and shaded plants being placed in the shade (obviously). I would highly recommend converting the 75 gallon on its side, or else buying an 18x18x24 exo terra, so as to let the frogs utilize that vertical space. DIY is so fun, and you really feel like you've put a lot into it when you're done. Hope it works out for you. Just send any more questions, and I or other more experienced people can help you out.
    You cannot just buy a hardware store fixture and throw a t5ho bulb in it. The fixture must be t5ho as well. Then there's a penetration issue. 4 feet is a long long way to light. Led would be best. 2 18" led fixtures would work just fine. Anything less would not penetrate the light to the bottom of the tank.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri