Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket glass bowl trick????

CrazyAirborne

Default Cricket glass bowl trick????

This glass bowl trick, some of you guys do, how do the crickets not jump out? i assume since its glass they cant climb out, but they are just not smart enough to jump? Anyone have any pics of how deep this bowl is? It sounds like a good idea and i want to implement it on my next vive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Cricket glass bowl trick????

I use a small candy bowl. It's about 4" around and 2" deep. Yes they can jump out but they don't. I will get a pic when I get home tonight. It's really nothing special, it just keeps the crickets under control. I started this by using the bowl to feed my frogs by dropping a few crickets in there so the frogs could at least find a few and discovered that all the crickets in the enclosure ended up in the bowl by morning.

bshmerlie

I just use a little glass bowl 2 inches deep by 3 inches that was originally dipping sauce bowl, they don't jump out.

Jace

Okay, I zipped to the dollar store and picked up two desert glass bowls. I am going to use one in my Fire-bellied toads and one with Yoki....if I can find room in his setup for it. Now, let's see if this works...

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Okay, I zipped to the dollar store and picked up two desert glass bowls. I am going to use one in my Fire-bellied toads and one with Yoki....if I can find room in his setup for it. Now, let's see if this works...
    Put it in a back corner and bury it half deep in the substrate. It's not as big a deal with Yoki as it is with enclosures with lots of water. I rarely have a floater in my Black Eyed Leaf Frog pool since I discovered this.

You doubt me Jo-Anna? Shame on you!

Jace

I would NEVER doubt you, Paul....I just don't trust crickets. They can be sneaky little buggers! I took the toads out, fed them, and then placed some of the left-over crickets in the bowl...so far they seem to be staying put. I put a little calcium in the bowl, too. As for Yoki, I just worry that he's not getting the crickets I put into his setup. He is chubby, but I want to make sure he stays that way!!

Tropicok

Dunce here! What are we talking about...........a glass bowl that crickets won't jump out of? I must have missed a post or sumpin'.

bshmerlie

I don't use a bowl for my fire bellies because they are so quick and don't leave any survivors. I just sprinkle and watch them eat. I only use it for my RETF because he takes him time to come on down to the feeding dish and I don't want them to wander off and die under the substrate.

hyla

Wheres that pic Paul? I need to find a good dish for this too and something to compare it too would be helpful!

Paul Rust

key3ord.3roke........
    Attached Images Attached Images    

CrazyAirborne

interesting, looks like ill be making a dollar store run 2morow as well as stopping by a place that sells slate stone to see if i can get some scraps

hyla

Ahh the bowl...its beautiful. Haha. Thanks for the picture, looks easy enough to aquire. So the frogs will just jump on in there and pick them off huh?

bshmerlie

I have pretty much the exact same bowl and my RETF sits on the rim and just reaches down into the bowl to get them and then steps out again. My smaller Xanthic Tree Frog actually sits at the bottom of the dish with the crickets. Sometimes he sits on a cricket and kills it but no big deal.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I don't use a bowl for my fire bellies because they are so quick and don't leave any survivors. I just sprinkle and watch them eat. I only use it for my Red-Eyed Leaf Frog because he takes him time to come on down to the feeding dish and I don't want them to wander off and die under the substrate.
    I frequently get unwanted or lame toads from the pet store who don't have the heart to kill them. In order for them to get a chance to eat without me constantly having to take them out to feed them, I've used the bowl method. Two of my current toads were considered goners, but are now chubby and healthy thanks to this method. However, I was using a plastic dish and the glass is working much much better!

Tropicok

Blimey, I've never heard of this bleeding trick before. Aaarrrgggh!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicok View Post
    Blimey, I've never heard of this bleeding trick before. Aaarrrgggh!
    Sorry everyone. I tried to respond last night but I spilled water all over my keyboard and had some technical difficulties as a result.

This whole glass bowl thing came about by accident. I dump crickets in the enclosure and let my Leaf Frogs hunt them after dark. I have a lot of long stemmed moss in the enclosure and was concerned that the crickets could get away from the frogs so I put this bowl in there with a few crickets so the frogs could at least find a few if they were unsuccesful at hunting that night. To my surprise, the next day the bowl was full of crickets, so began another experiment. I emptied the bowl and dumped crickets in the enclosure after dark and watched them all night. The crickets moved around all over the place and some were caught by the frogs but the rest eventually made their way to the bowl and fell in and could not escape. Viola!!! Problem solved. I can feed from one side of the enclosure and the crickets that don't get eaten will fall in the bowl and become a snack for the frogs later. The next day I dump the crickets back into the cricket tub for re-gutloading and recycling. My enclosure stays clean and my frogs stay fed, a win-win.

hyla

Good thing you are back up and running, we couldnt have another lame v.i.p on here, like Kurt....and I mean lame in the physical way of course!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by hyla View Post
    Good thing you are back up and running, we couldnt have another lame v.i.p on here, like Kurt....and I mean lame in the physical way of course!
    LMAO, of course.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Brilliant. This is really going to help a lot of us Paul. I think it would work for Locusts too. Thanks

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Brilliant. This is really going to help a lot of us Paul. I think it would work for Locusts too. Thanks
    Of course you're welcome Ebony.
    I bet it would work fine for locusts and roaches as well. Good idea.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information