Thread: How to get rid of algae on rocks without harming my pyxie

geno1324

Question How to get rid of algae on rocks without harming my pyxie

Hey guys i have had my frog for a year now and every time i do a water change i scrub the algae off the rocks. But i was wondering if there is a safe product out there that can get rid of algae and prevent it.

if you want to see some of his videos and my setup go to YouTube - Geno1324's Channel

thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: How to get rid of algae on rocks without harming my pyxie

Wow, that is quite the setup for your pyxie! I better not show my three yours, otherwise they might want to move in! Does he not make a mess of the setup at all? I keep my tanks pretty bare boned, because one would trample everything and the other two like to dig under everything. Makes it difficult to spruce it up. Anyway, onto your question....

I had the same problem in my toad tank. I scrubbed the rocks and it would come back. I eventually got rid of the rocks because it was just too much effort and I was worried that it might cause problems for my toads. Hopefully someone else has a suggestion for you. Best of luck.

geno1324

Smile Re: How to get rid of algae on rocks without harming my pyxie

He usually will stick to certain parts of the tank the most he will do is kick his water plant over, but all my plants are fake so its fine. And thanks for the kind words :-) im just hoping there is something i can put in the water that won't harm him.

Algea is easy to kill. Get a bucket of boiling hot water. Put the rocks in there. Leave em in there for an hour. Then drain bucket and fill up with hot water. but take rocks before hand. And scrub them hard with a kitched scrubber pads. You know the ones that have very open holes? I use that to scrub the sides of my tank. Then dump the rocks back in. use a ton of viniger and sea salt. And leave i in the hot water for an 1hour. Then take em out an dtry to scrub again. Then clean em out. Then voila.

geno1324

Thanks for the info, but is there a safe product that will not harm him and will eat away at the algae?

Kurt

Why bother? Algae is harmless. If you want to reduce algae, then reduce the amount of light the tank receives.

Quote Originally Posted by geno1324 View Post
    Thanks for the info, but is there a safe product that will not harm him and will eat away at the algae?
    There is but its pricey, and pointless. You could just scrub it off with hot water, vineger.

geno1324

Oh ok thank you very much for the info guys. Yea im probably just gonna boil them some time soon like you said. And i had no idea it was harmless for a frog that is in captivity so thanks again guys.

Kurt

Algae is harmless and produces oxygen.

Thread Information