Thread: What to gut feed crickets for pacman?

TwoSixSided

Default What to gut feed crickets for pacman?

Hey guys, I just recently bought a pacman frog from the petstore. I almost felt obligated, they had him in a around 4 x 3 container and I saw him the last time I went several months ago. No room to burrow or anything. I'm not sure how old he is, he's a little over 2". Anyways my question is, is it okay to gut feed the crickets apples/carrots? I wasn't sure if those veggies and fruits are okay for the pacman. I've never had to store crickets before so I just have them in a plastic tupperware with holes poked in it right now. I wish mr. pac would come out and see me, he only seems interested in burrowing for 10's of hours. Thanks guys! Also, if anyone could take a guess at the species/sex that would be nice too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ornate frog

Default Re: What to gut feed crickets for pacman?

Im not a pro or anything but i feed my crickets apple and sometimes cricket ddiet good luck i would say hes younger than 2
    it might be the photo tho good luck with him

TwoSixSided

Thanks Ornate, I'm not sure how this guy sees his prey either.. I heard they're supposed to leave their eyeballs out when they burrow but I can't see any part of him. O_o

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forums!

is it okay to gut feed the crickets apples/carrots? I wasn't sure if those veggies and fruits are okay for the pacman.
    Yes, it is ok and is way better then store bought cricket food, you can do oranges, any other fruits, lettuce. Make sure you supplement crickets with ca/d3 (2xweek), and multivitamins (1xweek) on a different days.

I wish mr. pac would come out and see me, he only seems interested in burrowing for 10's of hours.
    That is normal and helps him feel safe, you can take some of substrate out, so he still can burrow but not to the point you dpnt see him, how big is your tank? Is it plastic keeper in the pic? If so, you need to cover 3 sides of the enclosure and if you dont have it put a plant of sorts to create a hide. This way he will feel more safe.

if anyone could take a guess at the species/sex that would be nice too.
    that is C.cranwelli, too young to sex yet.

p.s. He is so pretty!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

TwoSixSided

Thanks a bunch Lija, I think I might already switch to nightcrawlers though, these crickets are gross. Yeah I have the biggest plastic keeper for now, gonna get a bigger tank once he gets a bit larger. I'm still kinda confused on when to feed him. Like 4 crickets every couple days?

Nationality
    [Canada]

As many as he can eat in about 15 min every day, feed about 30 min after lights are off and temp drop. Nightcrawlers are the best staple, but he needs to be tong trained to take them, so try.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

TwoSixSided

I'd say like 4 a day then or so. That's the first i've heard of feeding every day. :O Also, is this fake plant good?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quite possibly he is going to eat more then 4 a day while they are little they need a lot of food, growing they will stop wanting to eat every day, you will see when.

TwoSixSided

Oh okay thanks again Lija, good to have someone to ask questions. Don't be surprised if I message you hah. Also how often would you personally recommend putting calcium dust on the crickets? I've dipped a couple crickets in it already because who knows if the pet shop did it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The plant is fine, perhaps you may wanna attach it lower, so a guy can hide under.

Ca/vit d3 2xweek and 1xweek multivitamins. So say you can use ca powder on mondays and thursdays, and on saturdays use multivitamins. Or whatever works. And days in between no powder. Just no matter what you do you need to gutload crickets.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I got mine in a. 5.5 gal he is happy I. There for his size I use potatoes of the cricket water source when I keep them, the store I get them from gut loads them for me. Before I pick them up so I only get like 8 med. Crickets from them every feeding here's a few pics of my pacman encloser. Name:  IMG_20140614_135857.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  83.5 KBName:  IMG_20140614_135906.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  78.9 KB

TwoSixSided

Nice, thanks a bunch guys. One last thing, do I really need to go out and and get heat fixures? I keep reading contradicting things about it. The house is kept at 76 and I live in florida. I had him next to my bedroom window but moved him because I read they did not need sunlight and it could fry them. Where's lija at for answers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSixSided View Post
    Nice, thanks a bunch guys. One last thing, do I really need to go out and and get heat fixures? I keep reading contradicting things about it. The house is kept at 76 and I live in florida. I had him next to my bedroom window but moved him because I red they did not need sunlight and it could fry them. Where's lija at for answers.
    You will need a UTH to place on the side of the tank. Opposite side from the water dish. 76 is ok for nigbt tim temps, but during the day you want to stay around 79° to 80° at the lowest and 82° to 85° at the highest. Stick to 81° or 82° during the day and all is well. Night temps can be 75° to. 78° at best. A heat source for tropical species is very important. Lija has you covered with your feeders and supplements.

TwoSixSided

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You will need a UTH to place on the side of the tank. Opposite side from the water dish. 76 is ok for nigbt tim temps, but during the day you want to stay around 79° to 80° at the lowest and 82° to 85° at the highest. Stick to 81° or 82° during the day and all is well. Night temps can be 75° to. 78° at best. A heat source for tropical species is very important. Lija has you covered with your feeders and supplements.
    Thanks, I've read some conflicting things on UTH's though with how they can hurt my frog or something, can you tell me how i'd set it up?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes it could hurt a frog if you place uth under tank, it will warm up a substrate and jt will destruct natural environment, frogs burrow not only to feel more safe but to cool themselves if want to, but more importantly a frog may burn itself on it. You dont't want any of that to happen. That is why Grif said to place it on a side. Keep in mind you will need a bigger sized heat pad if you want to heat up the tank.

I personally prefer infrared lamp(50w) +fogger +hydrotherm. This way you can get spot on humidity and temps at any given moment, it is expensive initial investment but it is so worth it

Ornate frog

when i bought my lil guy he was very deep under the dirt
    He told me that he put cricks in the night before and when i got h
    im they were gone
    0.o

Nationality
    [United States]

Gut load insects sized smaller than distance between frogs eyes for 24-48 hours before use with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal. Can also feed not dyed night crawlers (from Walmart or local bait shop) cut mouth size for babies, body length for couple in. juvies, and whole ones for 3 to 4 in. and above. More on dusting in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Do not keep your Pacman in a cold environment. It will suffer permanent damage to it's kidneys and lymph hearts that will manifest itself as bloating and shortened life.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information