Thread: I think my Green Tree Frog is Sick - Advice Please!

moonpearl

Unhappy I think my Green Tree Frog is Sick - Advice Please!

Hi I'm new here and this is my first post, but I'm really hoping for some advice for my green tree frog, named Dr. Og, who is sick.

I have one other green tree frog and a brown anole in the encloser with him. Both of them seem fine, and they all get along together, I've never seen them fight.

I found him this morning lying on the bottom of his enclosure, looking sick, covered in dirt from the potted plant I keep in the encloser, and his legs were stiff. I immediately took him out of the enclosure and put him in a smaller container I have for them to wait in while I give the encloser a good scrub down once a week. I did this so that way he wouldn't be bothered by his other two roommates.

I checked him over for any injuries and found none. Dr. Og's face also turned a strange dark greyish color, and it seems as if his skin as sunken in around his face. He also was barely breathing. He wasn't moving, and seemed to be on death's door.

I looked for what to do on the internet to try and help him feel better, but I couldn't find anyone who's frog had the same symptoms. I did read that sitting in a shallow pool of chlorine-free water will sometimes help perk them up, and so I put a tiny bit of distilled water in his mini container that he's in. At this point I figured he can't really get any worse.

I suppose my buddy isn't ready to go yet, because sitting in the water really seemed to help. His legs aren't stiff anymore, he's breathing better, and he's even moving around a bit. His face is still that odd color though, and his skin is still sunken in. I offered him a cricket (I normally hand-feed all of my guys with no problem getting them to eat at least three crickets.) but he wouldn't take it, which is highly unusual for him.

Even though he's doing better, he's still definitely not his normal self.

I'd love to know what caused him to become so sick, and what I could do to continue helping him feel better, and what I could do to prevent it from happening again. I love this little guy and I want him and his other buddies to be as happy and healthy as possible!

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default I think my Green Tree Frog is Sick - Advice Please!

Hello and welcome to frog forum! A pic would be REALLY useful. Crossing species is ill advised although since both species are from the same place it can't be that bad. It is possible that it is a fungal or bacterial infection that will need to be treated by a vet. http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.htmlthis thread will help. Can you answer the questions?

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I think my Green Tree Frog is Sick - Advice Please!

Hello! I'm sorry your frog isn't doing well. Please fill out this form and try to get some pictures, without that, it will be hard to tell what is going on.

Are there any fertilizers in the soil of the potted plant you found him in?

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

moonpearl

Hi Eli, thanks for replying so fast!

I've taken photos and once my camera decides to load they'll be up shortly.

I'll try and answer all of those questions the best I can.

1-size of enclosure - 12 by 12 by 18 (taller than it is wide, because I read that they love to climb)
    2-# of inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?) There are three guys total in the enclosure, one other frog, and a brown anole. They all get along fine, sit side by side, no aggression between them whatsoever. The other frog is the exact same type, an american green tree frog, and is a bit bigger than Dr. Og. The brown anole is slightly smaller than the average brown anole, and is obviously longer than both frogs due to his tail, but he isn't wider than them.
    3-humidity - I just realised that my current dual-thermometer is broken, so unfortunately at this time I don't know what the exact humidity is. I do keep a live plant in the enclosure for added humidity and oxygen. The plant has never been treated with pesticides. I also mist the enclosure with distilled water several times a day to keep the humidity levels high, and so that way they can drink the water.
    4-temp - I have a heating light to keep it from being too cold, and I turn it off when I notice that it's gotten too warm. Although currently the dual thermometer is broken so I don't know the exact temp.
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking, I use distilled bottled water, that is chlorine free.
    6-materials used for substrate - I used to have a soil that I purchased specifically for pets, but then my crazy lizard decided that it would be fun to try and eat it, so I started using a felt lining made specifically for pets that I got again from petsmart.
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. - There are three fake branches that attach to the walls of the encloser, and act as ledges for them to climb on. There is the live plant, in a pot, in the corner. There is also a sphinx decoration on the floor of the enclosure, that is hollow inside, that they can hide in if they feel the need. It's smooth so that way no one will get scraped brushing up against it. There is also a shallow pet dish on the bottom of the enclosure that is usually filled with the distilled bottled water for the frogs to sit and soak in.
    8-main food source - crickets, purchased live from petsmart. they also get mealworms every once in a while as a treat.
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often ) I dust the crickets that they eat once a week with a calcium powder supplement.
    10-lighting - I have a UVA-B light and a heat light (50 watt) above the encloser.
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - The heat light
    12-when is the last time he ate - About two days ago
    13-have you found poop lately - Yes there is definitely poop, although I have no way of knowing whose it is.
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine Pics will be coming as soon as my camera cooperates.
    15- how old is the frog - Unfortunately I have no idea how old any of my buddies are, nobody at petsmart had a clue when I got them. I've had him for about 9 months, my lizard for 9 months, and the other frog for about six weeks.
    16-how long have you owned him see above.
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred - I purchased all of my pets from petsmart, so they are all captive bred.
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats - I didn't know that frogs need another food besides their live insects. I only feed them crickets, and occasionally mealworms as a snack.
    19- about how often the frog is handle - Admittedly probably a bit too often. Although I do make a point to try to wash my hands whenever I am going to handle them.
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area - A high traffic area, they used to be back in a bedroom, but the curtains kept them from ever getting enough light, so I moved them to the living room which is nice and airy with lots of light.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default I think my Green Tree Frog is Sick - Advice Please!

You really seem to be taking good care of them! But there are three things that i feel the need to point out:
    1. Using distilled water for misting is recommended but for the soaking dish, declorinated or bottled (Unpurified) water is best. Otherwise your frogs are being denied valuable nutrients
    2. Rinse only before handling, soap can harm their skin. Wash well after handling to protect yourself
    3. Did you quarantine your new frog after purchasing?? Despite being from the same store, they were bought months apart. The new frog could have diseases that may have transferred to your sick frog. Get pics up ASAP and i recommend seeing a vet about the problem. Good luck

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

moonpearl

Hi Amy, thanks for taking an interest in helping out my frog!

I'm pretty sure that there isn't any fertilizer in the soil. I forgot to mention that the soil of the plant is also covered with several HUGE flat marbles (There's no way possible that they could eat them. The marbles were all washed thoroughly before put into the enclosure.) to keep them from being able to dig inside the soil, or eat it my silly lizard's case.

I think I answered a lot of those questions in my above post, but I'll look through them and answer the ones that I haven't.

Both frogs are american green tree frogs.

For cleaning I do a good scrub down with water once a week, sometimes it takes a bit longer. Between those big cleans I just spot clean.

Everyone in the enclosure usually eats every other day, and they usually end up eating about three crickets a piece. I hand feed everyone to make sure that they are all getting the food they need, but I will sometimes let an extra cricket or two hop around in the enclosure just in case they're still hungry.

The lizard and frogs have never been to the vet before, and have never taken any medication. I don't know of any vet in the area that would accept lizards and frogs, much less these little guys.

Thanks again everyone!

Nationality
    [United States]

This is where i got my vet. If it wasn't for Amy i wouldn't have ever found it!Herp Vet Connection

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

moonpearl

I had no idea about the water that they use for soaking in. I'll start doing that right away!

Unfortunately when I bought my other frog, I didn't even think about quarantining her. It's too late now, but if I ever get another frog in the future I will make a point to quarantine before introducing new guys.

I finally got some pics, but they are in pretty bad quality taken from my ipod. Some more high quality pics should be on there way when my camera is done being a pain.

Name:  Dr. Og.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  87.2 KB

This a picture of Dr. Og, after he was feeling a bit better.

Name:  Another of Dr. Og.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  75.3 KB

Here's another photo of him.

Name:  Their Enclosure.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  55.6 KB

This is their enclosure. Where the miniature container is there would usually be the water dish.

Name:  Kerli the Lizard and Oak Blossom.jpg
Views: 2169
Size:  61.4 KB

Here is my lizard Kerli, and my other frog Pro. Oak Blossom.

Name:  My other frog, Oak Blossom.jpg
Views: 4307
Size:  60.1 KB

This is another photo of my other frog Oak Blossom, who I recently noticed also has some discoloration on her face and back. So far that is the only symptom she is showing. My lizard Kerli is perfectly fine, which leads me to think that this is a frog only problem.

Thanks for the link to the vets!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry for double posting with you earlier Eli, I get distracted at work and sometimes one post will take me 20+ minutes to type up and then I ended up answering questions already answered!

I don't really notice a problem via the pictures but I have a few pointers.

Firstly, that tank is too small to house mixed species IMO. They might be "fine" but the symptoms you're seeing might be a sign of stress also. Even if you find them in the same environment naturally, they aren't always inches from each other for long periods of time. If you insist on keeping them together, I would definitely get more branches and places for them to hide out in there.

Is the water dish big enough that they can soak in? It's fine for them to drink the water from misting, but sometimes tree frogs enjoy a nice soak, even if it's just for pooping in.

If you never replanted the plant into a frog-safe soil, chances are pretty good that it still contains some sort of pesticides and fertilizers. Something that can really harm your pets. Even with marbles on it to prevent them from getting into it, one of them obviously got in there if he was covered in it. If he's trying to dig in, that could also be a sign of an issue such as improper heating or humidity. It would really help to gt that monitored.

50 watt lightbulb could really be drying out the enclosure too when you're using multiple bulbs on a tank that size. I use a 13-15 watt UVB on a bigger enclosure (along with an LED light that produces no heat.) I use a heat pad on the side of the tank if the temps start dropping too much during the cold winter months.

I would get to monitoring your temps and humidity as soon as you can. Even being slightly out of their range for a longer period of time can cause stress. I would say a vet exam is pretty much required once you have a lethargic frog that is refusing to eat.

You can pretty much follow the care listed here -- Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding for green tree frogs, but the anole might require slightly different care, I'm not sure as I haven't owned an anole since I was a child.

Good luck!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

moonpearl

Hi everyone,

Dr. Ogg is practically his old self again! I got a new dual-thermometer, and when I put it in their enclosure it turned out that it was far too hot for the little guys! I think that Dr. Ogg had gotten dehydrated, and that's why soaking in the water helped him feel so much better. The lamp has been adjusted so that way it isn't putting as much heat on the little guys, and everything seems back to normal. Thanks again for all of the helpful advice, I've learned alot!

Thread Information