Thread: Tadpole concerns

Xubby

Default Tadpole concerns

So, I've had (Woodhouse?) tadpoles for a couple weeks now. For the most part, everything is going well. Most have hindlegs, and one glorious pioneer is already eating fruit flies on land. As a side note, once their front legs appear, it's amazing how quickly the tails are absorbed and they become terrestrial. This one only took four days for that whole process, tops.

That said, there's one tadpole in particular that simply... doesn't seem to be growing, with no signs of legs yet, either. Feeding a diet primarily of frozen romaine and the thinnest cabbage leaves, with a small amount of fish flakes offered every couple days. Water is 75-80 degrees with a partial water changes done every two-three days using treated spring water. I do have an airstone that's on, but only for 30 minutes every three hours.

He's obviously still alive, and IS eating, but I'm honestly puzzled on why he's lagging behind so much. Their wild cohorts are currently hopping around in my backyard, so I realize I'm keeping them a bit cooler (too cold?) than they'd be outside. Anything I seem to be doing wrong? I'm strongly considering releasing the runt back into the wild (with temp acclimation) since, frankly, I don't know what I'm denying him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Tadpole concerns

The temp could be part of the problem here. But some frogs/toads just take longer to develop I wouldn't worry to much unless it starts looking unhealthy. I hope this helps!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Tadpole concerns

Strider is absolutely correct, some just take REALLY long. I had a green frog tad and a pickerel tad once. The green frog morphed in July of 2011.(RIP from MBD) The pickerel frog which i had at the same time didn't morph until September OF THE FOLLOWING YEAR!!! I didn't give up and fed it but nothing happened. Then i went on vacation for nine days and was super worried. It had no legs or leg buds. Nine days with no food or clean water. When i got home, there was a froglet sitting on a rock. Point is, each frog us different and yours may be just slow. I am definitely not recommending leaving for nine days but just keep doing what you are doing and it should turn out ok!

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Default Re: Tadpole concerns

Yes you shouldn't leave a frog for 9 days but Eli's story just goes to show you that some tads can take FOREVER to morph. Is there a chance that the tad could be a different type? If so that could explain what is going on here. I hope this helps!

Thread Information