Thread: How to prevent chytrid in a new coming red eyed tree frog ?

Fenchurch

Question How to prevent chytrid in a new coming red eyed tree frog ?

Hi guys,
    I will soon get a CB red-eyed tree frog (Agalychnis callidryas). As I already keep amphibians, and as I've read that this species can bear chytrid wihtout being sick but could still spread the disease to my other amphibians, I would like to know how I should conduct the treatement to ensure the frog is chytrid-free ?
    Of course I plan to have it quarantined, and I've read much about chytrid, on amphibianArk, amphibiaweb and many other serious sites, including this very useful page I found here : http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...id-fungus.html

Has anyone of you been through this preventive treatment : FDR Inc. The Australian Diseases - Chytrid Fungus Treatment Techniques ?

Is there something new, or should I rather use Itraconazole baths ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
    Bye!
    Fenchurch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How to prevent chytrid in a new coming red eyed tree frog ?

The chances cb frog will have chytrid are very very small, any reputable breeder will guarantee you his/her frogs are chytrid free.

If you are worried you can always ask vet to do a chytrid test, it is relatively simple. This way you will know if you need to do anything about it. Antifungal medications can have strong side effects, and as with any medication i would advice to not use it unless absolutely necessary.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default How to prevent chytrid in a new coming red eyed tree frog ?

Hi Stephanie,

Your best bet is to have them swab tested if you're concerned. You may want to have a fecal sample tested for parasites at the same time. Treatments should be done only when needed.

You can get a test kit at joshsfrogs if you'd like.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/sanitation...-supplies.html
    Last edited by Heatheranne; June 8th, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

5. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Fenchurch

Default Re: How to prevent chytrid in a new coming red eyed tree frog ?

hi, thanks for your replies!
    As a matter of fact, in France there are not so many labs that can perform Chytrid tests, as they usually imply use of PCR to be able to detect the fungus's DNA...

As far as I know, at least for caudates (but it seems to be quite different with frogs) itraconazole baths are said to be harmless...

And I'm not the kind of guy (well, girl) to give medications without a vet's advice nor "just in case"... So, if with frogs the con's are greater than the pro's, then I think I'll have the frog tested before doing anything. So, I'm very interested in the joshsfrogs test kit, but do you know if it is relevant for me to use, since I guess it will take the sample more than 2 business days to arrive to the lab: will the test still be reliable? If it is DNA-based, then yes, because DNA is a strong organic stuff...

I'll try to get some info about that on joshsfrogs website (thanks again for the link !) but if someone already know the answer, fill free to keep me posted...
    Thanks and regards,
    Stéphanie

Thread Information