Thread: bullfrog ID please

noah

Question bullfrog ID please

I purchased a bullfrog tadpole recently and Im wondering if its African or American. also, any care tips would be appreciated. this is my first frog, but I have experience with reptiles and fish

heres a picture

Name:  1401836379576-1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  100.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default bullfrog ID please

If you got the tad at a regular pet store then it is most likely an American. Looks like one too. Their care is quite simple save for the fact that they require HUGE enclosures. But as a froglet up to a year or two, a 10-20 gallon will suffice. They will eat anything that fits in their mouths but their main diet should be crickets and dubia roaches. Once he/she is big enough they will try (and succeed) to bite you. Don't get scared though or your frog can end up on the other side of the room. A big water area is also necessary. I recommend half land and half water. Hiding places are also needed. A good substrate like coco fiber. Recommend dry as they are not tropical. They might eat pebbles and get impacted. Good luck with your frog! Post a pic in about a week when its fully formed. Its most likely an American though. Africans have different care and their bites hurt so make sure you get a positive ID! BTW, welcome to frog forum!

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: bullfrog ID please

Hello and welcome to FF ! That looks like an American Bullfrog. You can follow this care article for guidance; but be aware that Rana catesbeiana is a larger frog and will need a very large enclosure as an adult .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

5. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I agree. I'm fairly certain you have an American bullfrog tad. Definitely not an African. How big is he from nose (snout) to anus (vent) in length?

Lithobates or Rana catesbeiana (American bullfrogs) should have land and either a large water bowl (water changed daily -dechlorinated) or they should have a filtered pond area with weekly water changes. The water can be deep. They swim extremely well. A land area or platform to climb out onto is needed. They will float in the water also.

American bullfrogs can grow large as adults. A 75 to 100 gallon tank minimum will be needed when full grown. A good rule is about 2 inches of frog per 10 to 20 gallons. They leap far in one hop, so give them some nice space. An adult can leap 3 to 6 ft.

They can also eat earthworms or night crawlers from a safe, clean source. Remember your calcium with vitamin D3 and multivitamin amphibian supplements . They need it to stay healthy.

Never use small rocks or moss in their homes. They can accidentally ingest them when hunting. As tads it's fine to have a gravel bottom aquarium.

Welcome to the forum . I hope you enjoy your new almost froglet . Cute photo!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

7. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

noah

ok thanks, the info really helps

Nationality
    [United States]

Please let me know if you have further questions. We have a big 2 yr old albino Bully .

We are also currently detoxing a rescue baby bully who the pet shop had in with firebelly toads. He's adorable.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; June 5th, 2014 at 11:39 AM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

That is one beautiful frog Heather!

The Frog chooses its owner. Treat your life-long friend with respect and care and it will never disappoint!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you

noah

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Please let me know if you have further questions. We have a big 2 yr old albino Bully .

We are also currently detoxing a rescue baby bully who the pet shop had in with firebelly toads. He's adorable.

what should I feed it? it still has a tail but usually sits on a rock thats above the surface

If it is getting big and it is out of the water, you can probably start feeding it crickets. Make sure to gutload them and dust them every once in a while

noah

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    If it is getting big and it is out of the water, you can probably start feeding it crickets. Make sure to gutload them and dust them every once in a while
    how many crickets? I gave it one large one today. im going to get smaller ones tomorrow. how many should I give and how often?

I believe it is as many as your frog can eat in 15 minutes? Any other members can correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps!

16. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The crickets should be no larger than the distance between his eyes for a baby. Babies can eat about 2 mini crickets every day (to other day if his belly is round).

Dust his crickets with calcium with vitamin D3 every other day and a multivitamin such as Repashy plus one day a week, but not on the same day as the calcium. He will need these supplements to stay healthy. Feed from the dry side of the tank to be sure he gets his supplements. The dusting can be done with a baggie or cup. A light powder covering is fine.

Thread Information