Thread: UK Source for materials

Smile UK Source for materials

Ok so I have a 40 x 40 x 70 tank coming soon and am looking to build my first live viv including false background with plants growing from it etc. Though am struggling with finding UK equivalents to materials such as handi-foam and great stuff etc. I want something long lasting and waterproof obviously, though preferably black, though I could just silicone the background if I am completely desperate. Been looking on ebay and amazon and have found plenty of cheap (£5-10) options though am not sure what would be safe for frogs (probably arboreal dart frogs or a tree frog of some sort ) if any UK based members would like to chime in on what they used and how well it worked that would be brilliant thanks
    Also I am planning on going to the beach to pick up rocks and drift wood and was wondering if there are any rules in terms of what to avoid and how to clean. I have used this for bearded dragon tanks by simply skinning and boiling tree trunks but know that frogs are completely different in that their skin is ultra absorbent!
    I have kept reed frogs successfully before years ago btw, just never built something like this including my own sourced materials!

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: UK Source for materials

Hello and welcome to FF! If expanding foam is pond safe; it will be OK with frogs. You can silicone the background in, or see if can locate Titebond III (waterproof when dry) in local market and use that instead of silicone.

Boiling or baking beach rocks or driftwood is fine. Would not collect anything from an area that has pollution or similar problems. You do not need to remove the bark with most frogs. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF! If expanding foam is pond safe; it will be OK with frogs. You can silicone the background in, or see if can locate Titebond III (waterproof when dry) in local market and use that instead of silicone.

Boiling or baking beach rocks or driftwood is fine. Would not collect anything from an area that has pollution or similar problems. You do not need to remove the bark with most frogs. Good luck !
    Thanks for the reply! I won't be getting the tank now I understand for at least a week so I'm sure I'll plenty of time to gather supplies. I was also wondering about drainage for plants in a false background, shall I poke holes in the foam once it is dried for a bit of drainage or would the plants not need it? Or just put some gravel in the bottom of the pot?

Also I understand some people also build backgrounds out of clay and polystyrene? How can I find about doing this?

samw

www.dartfrog.co.uk was recommended to me by another forum user, it has a fair bit of stuff on there so might have what you're after.

I've just had a big moss delivery for my new build so its looking lovely and green!

Thread Information