Thread: Meal worms?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Meal worms?

I was wondering if decapitated meal worms would be a good food option. I have a bunch lying around for my true spider, but want to make sure it's safe.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ssgtdirt

That may work, no guarantee they'd get eaten though since they won't be moving

tapatalked from my at&t s4

Dustin Fife

Default Re: Meal worms?

meal worms and toads are iffy the hard shell can and will cause problems, if you feed only freshly molted (white) ones you will be ok, worms are a better option I feed mine chopped up earthworms and after the 3rd feeding they no longer cared f they moved, you can try tongs or tweezes and tap them on the chin they will go for it but FBT's have personalities and not all will eat worms. isopods are a great treat too they look hard but never had an issue in any of my frogs or toads with them but feed them sparingly they are high in calcium. flies are also a great treat give em a misting and they cant fly all frogs go nuts for flies honestly of any thing I have ever feed it is the only food to never be refused but getting flies can be icky :P. but mealworms only when they have just shed and only rarely one meal a month and make sure they are pooping good still after they eat one but I would avoid feeding any amphibian mealworms if possible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Mine are all good eaters. One of mine seems to love worms, hopping from one corner to the other at the sight of tongs. It's amazing how quickly they build associations.
    I will probably not do mealworms. I had one FBT die of impaction and it was so very sad
    I think isopods may be cool. Just the "maintenance " ones you can buy online?
    soon I plan to switch to b. latts

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

Dustin Fife

Default Re: Meal worms?

I caught a bunch from under rocks near my garden and tossed them in a tote with dirt a log and feed them kitchen scrapes they are really slow breeders, they are live bearers and only have about 800 babies a year each you would have the same kind as what we have here the ones online the white ones would be better they have a softer shell. but I have had no problems over the years using the ones from around here I feed them about 4 each a month I ussaly toss in a few when I do a big cricket feed and they wil run for cover. the FBTs seem to like to hunt them down at night. im pretty sure th ones online are from a tropical climate and breed alot faster but im cheap lol and I don't mind raising my own bugs its like another pet. side note the Canadian isopod will live for 24 hours or more underwater I feed the really small ones to dwarf frogs, they will climb around on the bottom and on plants till they are found and eaten my axolotls don't like them much but will eat them occasionally they much prefer ghost shrimp and guppy fry .

7. This member thanks Dustin Fife for this post:

Thread Information