Thread: Help with basics of water + land vivarium

sccr410

Default Help with basics of water + land vivarium

Have two fire bellied toads. I previously had a terrarium designed for plants but turned it into one for our toads. Started with just coco fibers and grew plants and had a bowl of water in the middle for them to hang out in. It was a pain to maintain having to manually clean the water bowl almost every day but it looked great. I eventually reversed it and turned it into a primarily water tank with a large wood piece in the middle and large rocks for them to get out of the water. The only reason my wife would let me keep the tank in a visible place is because she liked the container - it looked unique and we kept it in our living room. Unfortunately the glass broke. I'm sick of daily and even weekly water maintenance so I got a standard 10 gallon aquarium to start over and have a filter this time. Unfortunately the wife hates the look and it is now banished to a corner of the office. I want to at least get this ugly standard 10 gallon tank looking nice so it can be a feature again. Here is an example.

However, I have absolutely no understanding of how to build something like this nor have I been able to find a step by step guide either. The part that confuses me the most is getting the dirt up against the water so it looks natural (plexiglass dividers look awful in my opinion).

Any help would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with basics of water + land vivarium

Hello and welcome to FF! To build a vivarium like that, will need to create a false bottom. Main purpose is to raise the soil for plants above the water section so it won't soak up the water and become a bog.

There are a couple nice articles in the forum's how-to article section and a few builds in the vivarium section. This one is a good read: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...aludarium.html. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information