Thread: RETF Questions

basil276

Default RETF Questions

If this has gone to the wrong place apologies.
    I have had my first red eyed tree frog for about 3 weeks now. I'm a little worried about it. I know they are nocturnal but it seems to stay in the same place all the time. I'm not sure if it's even eating. I'm putting a couple of crickets in every 2-3 days but they are still running about days later. The tank temp is about 75-80 and humidity over 60%. There is a waterfall, frog loving plants and the substrate sphagnum moss. A large water dish is also available.
    Is there anything else I can do to encourage feeding?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: RETF Questions

I moved your post to give you your own thread.

As long as they don't look like they are getting skinny they are probably fine. Mine will commonly go right back to the exact same spot day after day and if I didn't see them awake the night before I would swear that they didn't move. I have a little trick that I use. I place a small glass candy bowl in the corner of the enclosure hidden by some plants. I drop in the crickets from the other side just after the lights go out for the night. As the crickets mill around they get eaten by the frogs. The ones that survive always find their way to the dish and fall in and can't get out. The frogs know where to get an easy snack and the next day I empty the dish of crickets back into my cricket bin for re-gutloading. It also helps keep the crickets from bothering the frogs while they are sleeping.

basil276

Thanks for the tip, this may seems a daft question, but a skinny frog, it's hard to say as he's not that big anyway. If he is skinny, then what should I do. They recommended at the petshop to remove him from his tank into a smaller one, load it with food and then see if he eats then. My only problem with this is that they are sensitive to change and I don't want to freak it out and make it worse.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Maybe if you could post a photo Paul will be able to tell you if your frog is under weight.

Thread Information