Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Beginner

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Beginner

Wow both tanks look great! The Wife and I have been toying with learning how to do a salt water reef tank, but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

As for the ABG mix. I don't think it would hurt to mix it with anything, but the ABG on it's own is very substantial and I don't find the need to mix it with anything. It provides good support for the plants and nutrients for the plants. Especially once the frogs start fertilizing it with their waste. If you add Springtails and Isopods to the soil they will help ensure the soil stays clean and nutrient rich for your plants
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frogeyes

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Wow! That looks awesome! All of it!
    Thanks Lija! I think it's coming along nicely as well. I've got more plants to put in after I put down the substrate.

frogeyes

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Wow both tanks look great! The Wife and I have been toying with learning how to do a salt water reef tank, but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

As for the ABG mix. I don't think it would hurt to mix it with anything, but the ABG on it's own is very substantial and I don't find the need to mix it with anything. It provides good support for the plants and nutrients for the plants. Especially once the frogs start fertilizing it with their waste. If you add Springtails and Isopods to the soil they will help ensure the soil stays clean and nutrient rich for your plants
    Thanks I appreciate it!

I'd say give the saltwater a try! It is very rewarding and well worth it! If I can offer any advice, and if you plan to pull the trigger, I'd say make sure you are using RO/DI water, a quality protein skimmer (I just bought mine and it's already pulled tons of "goop" from my water), have adequate flow for the corals you plan to keep, and lighting (I love my Kessil a150w LED because it will last a long time and doesn't produce a ton of heat). Those things have made my tank much healthier. I used to "skimp" on things when I first started saltwater, and it was a disaster. Once I picked up some quality equipment, it has been better ever since. Also, go slow, start with some easier corals like zoanthids, mushrooms, kenya trees, palythoas, etc... then if you get the hang of that, move on to LPS, and then SPS. I've been in the hobby since about 2009, and I haven't even attempted SPS corals.

And thanks for the tip on the substrate. I am eventually going to get some springtails.

Nationality
    [United States]

Springtails are def worth it. I added them for the first time to my Red Eye tank back in Dec and they do a GREAT job at keeping things clean!

We are a ways away from a Saltwater tank. I obsess over all the details before I do anything lol. I will do loads and loads of research before we do anything lol, but I will def throw questions I have at you
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Love the reef! We had a pretty nice saltwater set up when I was a child, I remember it being a lot of work and a lot of $$ though. I am always very impressed by other peoples' set ups because I don't think I could handle it!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

frogeyes

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Springtails are def worth it. I added them for the first time to my Red Eye tank back in Dec and they do a GREAT job at keeping things clean!

We are a ways away from a Saltwater tank. I obsess over all the details before I do anything lol. I will do loads and loads of research before we do anything lol, but I will def throw questions I have at you
    Sure I would be happy to help you out with any questions! You've already helped me with this frog venture haha.

frogeyes

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Love the reef! We had a pretty nice saltwater set up when I was a child, I remember it being a lot of work and a lot of $$ though. I am always very impressed by other peoples' set ups because I don't think I could handle it!
    Yes it is a nice chunk of $, always keeping the wallet dry haha. It's not so bad if you get things slowly though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information