Thread: Help, I think my froggy is sick.

aquariumlover2014

Unhappy Help, I think my froggy is sick.

I have 3 African clawed frogs. All of them are female and I have them in a 55 gallon tank. I noticed this morning that one of my females, Reba, has developed a type of rash on her stomach. It looks alot like a patch of eczema. I have included a picture, it's the best I can do. Nothing else seems to be different . She is acting normal and eating well still. After testing and seeing all my numbers normal I realized this might be a serious problem. Temp has been between 70-73 f .. I am very concerned and worried. If anything happened to any of my frogs I would never forgive myself. PLZ, if you know what this is and how to treat it help me.Name:  10322689_875415762501440_6586513000886999510_n.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  49.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help, I think my froggy is sick.

Is there anything in the tank she could have scraped herself on?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Is there anything in the tank she could have scraped herself on?
    I dont believe so.. other than the substrate sand all thats in there is a polyresin log with silk plants. I looked to see if anything looks scratchy or anything and it dont. I mean its always possible another one of my lil ones scratched her.. They are always pushing each other around. So you don't believe its anything serious? Like a bacterial infection or anything. Its still there today and I am gonna keep an eye on it but I am worried.

Tank Girl

Hiya, I don't have too much experience with clawed frogs yet, but I've read up a LOT on illness and things to look out for. A rash-type skin problem is a red flag for a bacterial infection. I cant identify it from the picture, but from your description it sounds like it could possibly be in the early stages. If it doesn't look to be clearing up and you can't rule this out, I would be tempted to treat her for this, as it's best caught early.

Hope she gets well soon

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover2014 View Post
    I have 3 African clawed frogs. All of them are female and I have them in a 55 gallon tank. I noticed this morning that one of my females, Reba, has developed a type of rash on her stomach. It looks alot like a patch of eczema. I have included a picture, it's the best I can do. Nothing else seems to be different . She is acting normal and eating well still. After testing and seeing all my numbers normal I realized this might be a serious problem. Temp has been between 70-73 f .. I am very concerned and worried. If anything happened to any of my frogs I would never forgive myself. PLZ, if you know what this is and how to treat it help me.Name:  10322689_875415762501440_6586513000886999510_n.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  49.6 KB
    Is this tank frog only? Any fish, crustaceons, snails? Do you perform regular partial water changes? Have you tested your tank for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates lately?

Just curious, some more information would help. If she is acting normal chances are pretty good this is a minor issue and she should heal so long as the environment is sound.

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tank Girl View Post
    Hiya, I don't have too much experience with clawed frogs yet, but I've read up a LOT on illness and things to look out for. A rash-type skin problem is a red flag for a bacterial infection. I cant identify it from the picture, but from your description it sounds like it could possibly be in the early stages. If it doesn't look to be clearing up and you can't rule this out, I would be tempted to treat her for this, as it's best caught early.

Hope she gets well soon

Thanks a bunch tank girl. It is actually slowly clearing up. She is also shedding a bit more in that area. Thanks for your advice.

aquariumlover2014

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    Is this tank frog only? Any fish, crustaceons, snails? Do you perform regular partial water changes? Have you tested your tank for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates lately?

Just curious, some more information would help. If she is acting normal chances are pretty good this is a minor issue and she should heal so long as the environment is sound.

Thanks for the advice Michael. Yes this is a frog only tank she shares with 2 other females. As I had said in my original post the ranges for ammonia and all that are normal wich is why I have been confused. Looks alot better today and she seems to be shedding a bit more in that area.. I am curious if its irritation from the sand. The reason I say this is cause she sits squished under my filter against the sand. I wonder if the vibration against her with her being against the sand caused some irritation.. I havent run into this problem yet and so I have no idea. I have only been a frog owner for a year and 1/2

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by aquariumlover2014 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Michael. Yes this is a frog only tank she shares with 2 other females. As I had said in my original post the ranges for ammonia and all that are normal wich is why I have been confused. Looks alot better today and she seems to be shedding a bit more in that area.. I am curious if its irritation from the sand. The reason I say this is cause she sits squished under my filter against the sand. I wonder if the vibration against her with her being against the sand caused some irritation.. I havent run into this problem yet and so I have no idea. I have only been a frog owner for a year and 1/2

Alright, by normal it read 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and less than 20ppm nitrate? Assuming that fact it could be physical trauma of some sort, is your sand soft and smooth or more jagged? Specifically what brand of aquarium sand are you using?

As you stated, frogs do like to wedge themselves in to feel secure, physical damage is a possibility, they also tend to some times panic at sudden changes in lighting or loud sounds, some times in those panic modes they can injure themselves, it's at least a possibility.

Under good conditions clawed frogs recover from physical damage quite quickly, my frogs have torn their foot webbing occassionally and it healed pretty quickly, I once had a frog lose a 'claw' and it grew back too. Maybe give it a week and see if it starts to heal.

Edit: Just read your post saying it is begining to heal, looks like physical damage to me, and yeah, these guys heal up pretty quickly.

Thread Information