Thread: Joint swelling and fingers/toes disfigured

Kanico

Default Joint swelling and fingers/toes disfigured

Around three months ago I helped my roommate buy some ADFs and set up a tank for them. She's used to having furry pets while I have experience with reptiles, so I've been coaching her on water changes/environment parameters/watching for any changes in behavior, etc. I noticed a few weeks ago while helping her do a water change that one of her frogs had something going on with it's toes. It's gotten much worse lately, and I'm not exactly sure what is going on. Gout? The problem seems to be in the joints. There are three frogs in the tank and this is the only one affected. He's moving around fairly normally, but he can't extend the toes and use the webbing of his feet, so it has to be difficult.

Any ideas would be much appreciated so I can figure out how to help the little guy.

Name:  20140526_174802.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  63.1 KBName:  20140526_174739.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  63.9 KBName:  20140526_174456.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  84.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Joint swelling and fingers/toes disfigured

Quote Originally Posted by Kanico View Post
    Around three months ago I helped my roommate buy some ADFs and set up a tank for them. She's used to having furry pets while I have experience with reptiles, so I've been coaching her on water changes/environment parameters/watching for any changes in behavior, etc. I noticed a few weeks ago while helping her do a water change that one of her frogs had something going on with it's toes. It's gotten much worse lately, and I'm not exactly sure what is going on. Gout? The problem seems to be in the joints. There are three frogs in the tank and this is the only one affected. He's moving around fairly normally, but he can't extend the toes and use the webbing of his feet, so it has to be difficult.

Any ideas would be much appreciated so I can figure out how to help the little guy.

Name:  20140526_174802.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  63.1 KBName:  20140526_174739.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  63.9 KBName:  20140526_174456.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  84.9 KB
    I purchased a few ADFs last year for my tropical community tank and they also came down with the same condition within only a few days after purchasing them.. they both did not live very long after showing signs of this illness. It appears fatal, I could not save my frogs. I am not sure what it is exactly, perhaps a fungal infection?

I wish I had more information that could help you with this.. you could try an antifungal medication. I would also like to mention whatever disease these frogs came with from the petstore, also wiped out quite a few of my fish as well, it appears to be pretty lethal.

Kanico

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I purchased a few ADFs last year for my tropical community tank and they also came down with the same condition within only a few days after purchasing them.. they both did not live very long after showing signs of this illness. It appears fatal, I could not save my frogs. I am not sure what it is exactly, perhaps a fungal infection?

I wish I had more information that could help you with this.. you could try an antifungal medication. I would also like to mention whatever disease these frogs came with from the petstore, also wiped out quite a few of my fish as well, it appears to be pretty lethal.
    Certainly not good news... I'll recommend she pick up an anti-fungal and see if that might help. Probably shooting in the dark though. She did get them from a big name petstore so it's probably the same thing you dealt with. There are only the three frogs in the tank, so we don't have to worry about fish at least.

Nationality
    [United States]

I bought mine from the same big chain pet store.. It seems they sell a lot of adf that contract this illness.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could be a number of things(injury disease) Is the frog eating still? Pleas fill out this questionnaire so we can try to diagnose the problem:

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

Thread Information